Good surprise with a NPDP Cart.

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by kennypecheur, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Logi26

Logi26 Site Supporter 2014

I have got a wired Wii dev controller, but I don't want to try and mod it coz I only have one of them.
    I could probably open it up though and take some pics of the connections. That would likely make it easier to mod a retail controller.

2. kennypecheur

kennypecheur Site Supporter 2016

Thanks a lot. But don't open yours if this is the only one you have. I can wait to get one or two of them.

I am still looking to buy a NDEV anyway so I will try to get one bundled with a wired controller.

But thanks :)

3. Logi26

Well to be honest I had been thinking about the idea of modding a Wiimote and sensor bar ever since I found out about this controller.
    I just haven't had much time and didn't know of any GC games that used the WPAD/KPAD libraries.

I will take a look at my wired Wiimote when I get home from work. As long as there are no warranty stickers etc, I don't mind opening it up to get some pics.

kennypecheur likes this.
  4. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Woofmute likes this.
  5. kennypecheur

Don't know neither. But could be interesting to have a quick search.

Thanks Chief :)

DeChief likes this.
  6. Logi26

There wont likely be any retail GC games that support the WPAD/KPAD libraries because the remote was never officially released for the GC, so it would only be beta games.

That is what I suspect you have here.
    I don't believe that you have a Wii game on an NPDP cart as such, I believe you have a GameCube game with WPAD/KPAD library support.

What I mean by that is, I believe the game was intended to be released on the Wii and not the GameCube, but I believe the development was started on the GC and then would have been ported to the Wii SDK once it became available to developers.

But that is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  7. kennypecheur

I agree with you when you says that the game was supposed to be developped for Wii. The fact that Wii elements such as the controller are present it the game can be one of the signs.

The game uses some of the Geist graphical elements (in their final state). Geist was released at the end of the gamecube era, so this is probably another sign that Sphear was meant to be a Wii game.

By wondering if any other GC games still include Wii control libraries, I was believing that some developpers may have forgot to remove these libraries when compiling their games. But unless we have the sources of NGC games, we will not be able to check if some games may still have these libraries.

Anyway, I can still have a quick look over the internet. Someone has maybe posted something about this.

I want to thank you for helping me on this interesting datas !

8. Logi26

No problem mate, thank you for sharing what you have found with us. I find the whole GameCube-Wii transition period very interesting.

I would still consider this game to be a Wii beta because it is an early build of a game that was being developed for the Wii. I just suspect that it was compiled using a late GameCube SDK with WPAD/KDAP libs.
    Whoever designed the controls screen had obviously seen the NPDP proto Wii controller because they used the image of one. If the Wii dev hardware and SDK had been available they would have likely used an image of a retail Wii controller instead.
    Plus it runs on a GDEV.

An I do think it would be very cool if there were retail games that had support for the libraries still in them.

9. kennypecheur

Yes, the transition between the NGC and the Wii is pretty intersting. New hardware, lot of games port from the NGC to the Wii, Cancelled games,....very interesting period.

Anyway, will dig up a bit into this game.

Also, I was so exited about the slot 1 content that I have totally forgot to talk about Slot 2 and 3. They looked empty on the NPDP Reader but slot 2 has another Sphear build (with many other different things) and another unreleased game, a Pool game.

10. Logi26

It is a good job that you managed to get that cart working again since it contains lots of goodies.

Here are pics of the wired Wii dev controller.
    I forgot that it was just a coax connection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  11. kennypecheur

A real big thank ! Will open a standard one and check what is connected where the cable is soldered (maybe the bluetooth chip).

12. emu_kidid

emu_kidid Enthusiastic Member

This isn't unheard of, remember the Metroid Prime 3 E3 demo I'd found on an NPDP cart which was also using a "wii remote"?

See if the game from slot 1 is using the KPAD driver from the SDK, if so that'll pretty much confirm that's what a it was used for.

Woofmute and kennypecheur like this.
  13. pato

pato Resolute Member

I recall that the Wii controler was actually developed for the GC first, at least there was something like this in a 2003-2004 patent register, not sure if was always intended for the sucessor itself.

Anyway, nice finding, but what's the date on the build? if it's called Riqa, then N-space decided to resurrect the trademark after Rogue Ops (which is supposedly what Riqa 64 turned into), that technically would be Rogue Ops 2.

14. kennypecheur

About the first Wiimote patent, If I remember right, there were indeed using a gamecube picture to illustrate the video game system. But I think it was only to avoid showing the Wii design. But not sure about it.

About the name Riqa, I don't really think that both games are linked. It wasn't developped by the same company. But who knows, someone may have worked in both studios and brings idea from one studio to the other :)

pato likes this.
  15. UnrealNStuff

UnrealNStuff Robust Member

Thats really cool!

kennypecheur likes this.
  16. skarpo01

skarpo01 Peppy Member

Great find, that's exactly the kind of archeology we like around here!

kennypecheur likes this.
  17. UnrealNStuff

Biggest question is: Will you share it?

18. kennypecheur

And Thanks to you, it will be backed up ! :)

By the way, can I use a USB dock with the software you gave me ?

This is indeed a big question. I have contacted people from N-Space in order to know more about the game. I have also asked them who owns the rights of the "game". I am waiting for their answer and depending on their answer, I may or may not release the build (it will mostly depend on copyright things).

UnrealNStuff likes this.
  19. UnrealNStuff

Okilidokie

20. skarpo01

skarpo01 Peppy Member

any USB dock works just fine ;)

kennypecheur likes this.