Goldstar Game Compatibility Misinformation

Discussion in 'Panasonic M2 and 3DO' started by takeshi385, Oct 16, 2018.

1. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

Back Story: Up until recently I owned 3 different 3do consoles. Each representing a different model and video encoder. I currently own an FZ-1 with BT9101 video encoder and a Goldstar GDO-101m with VP536 encoder. I previously owned a FZ-10 with an ANVIL. I bought all my 3do consoles broken and repaired them. I did everything from recapping to greasing the gears. I did the works. Due to a really bad laser in my goldstar(very common) I opted to install mnemo's usb controller.

To the point:

I have read in many places that a goldstar 3do has compatibility issues, but I believe this to be incorrect or not the total story. I have thrown many games at my goldstar now that it boots via USB and it has never had an issue. I am starting to think this incompatibility people speak of is due to the finicky laser that is in almost all goldstar 3do consoles(Not including GDO-203p). Since 3do disks don't seem to have an antipiracy feature, I believe different publishers used different quality media. This quality difference is what I theorize as the reason for why a goldstar model will boot some games, but allegedly not others.

*GDO-203p may have an antipiracy feature.

To all 3do experts, I would like to confirm this theory. So if you know an alleged incompatible with goldstar game, please post the name of the title. Through my research I can't find anyone mentioning specific titles, most just regurgitate the same "this model has game compatibility issues" without elaborating.

*also games that require Japanese language bios don't count, but please post one so that I can test.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Taijigamer2 likes this.
  2. takeshi385

3. Taijigamer2

Taijigamer2 Gutsy Member

I don't own a Goldstar 3DO but from what I've found through research is that GDO-101 with VP536 don't seem to have issue running cd-r backups but the GDO-202 and 203 with ANVIL encoder do have some sort of copy protection. Whether it's in the bios or in the microcontroller is unknown. There is a mod chip to circumvent this as detailed in this thread http://forum.3doplanet.ru/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1278 It's in Russian as makes for a hard read through google translate but it's informative. The protection is based on the cd drive so as far as I know, the USB host will circumvent that protection in either model.

takeshi385 likes this.
  4. takeshi385

It's very odd that goldstar added the copy protection to only anvil models. I also wonder how it's work since it was implemented long after the 3do hardware was finalized.

5. Taijigamer2

Taijigamer2 Gutsy Member

I'm not sure if the copy protection has anything to do with the ANVIL chip in particular, it would be interesting to know if FZ-10 with ANVIL had the same copy protection? It may be a BIOS function or a feature of the CD microcontroller.

As we know, the 3DO is a hardware specification so companies that use it can implement some of their own features as long as the hardware specification remains the same. Goldstar may have picked up on the rise in cd-r use in the mid 90's and implemented some anti piracy measures for the GDO-202 and 203.

6. takeshi385

My anvil fz10 that I used to own would play cdrs no problem. I used to play Wolfenstein on it. That being said, I believe the bios would have to be the culprit as I don't think there were revisions to the anvil chip.

Taijigamer2 likes this.
  7. takeshi385

Bump. Come on guys, there are members of other forums that swear up and down that the goldstar 3do suffers from incompatibilities. They can’t give me a list, but I’m sure that if this statement is true, then the members here can.

8. stevo9389

stevo9389 Plays It Loud

A friend of mine has a GoldStar that his father bought brand new when it launched. There was never a complaint about game compatibility but it was sent in for repair at least once, because GoldStar. My experience is most of their electronics were just poor quality and the company didn't get their act together until sometime after LG was formed. Your suspicion on bogus compatibility problems makes total sense to me.

takeshi385 likes this.
  9. dark

dark Dauntless Member

I read on a forum once that the goldstar can't play Road Rash. That seemed incredible since I think it was probably one of the system's more popular titles. I was able to play it on my Sanyo - which I understand shares many simularities with the goldstar, such as the cdrom drive.

takeshi385 likes this.
  10. takeshi385

My gameroom is in a period of make over so I had to hook it to my big lcd via composite video. It appears roadrash works perfectly on the goldstar model.
    [​IMG]

11. Taijigamer2

Taijigamer2 Gutsy Member

takeshi385 likes this.
  12. takeshi385

That would be something to test. I will check with the guy I sold my anvil 3do sometime soon and see if he can load road rash.

13. takeshi385

I had my friend play road rash on his anvil fz10 in every mode and multiple races(he placed in 1st and 2nd), he never had an issue. This issue appears to be elusive to encounter.

Edit: My friend tried to turn on music for racing in settings and it gave the message of not enough memory. Yep your hunch was right taijigamer2 anvil systems are flawed.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    ItsMeMario and Taijigamer2 like this.
  14. Taijigamer2

Taijigamer2 Gutsy Member

Good work, @takeshi385. It would be interesting to know if any other games suffer this RAM issue on ANVIL models.

15. ItsMeMario

ItsMeMario Gutsy Member

"Not enough memory" error on a console ? :eek:

When you think you have seen it all...I feel like making a thread about error messages on console games now. :'D

16. takeshi385

Here is pic of the memory error.
    [​IMG]

17. Getta Robo

Getta Robo Robust Member

@takeshi385 in case my story backs you up:
    Back in the days of 3DO, my local game shops refused to do business with the Goldstar model, due to their hardware issues. In addition to, I recall one of those store managers saying that even though he did business with 3DO backups, Goldstar models either couldn't read the disc or had overall issues.
    So your theory seems very reasonable, I do remember those early rumors too, but I never ever heard about any specific examples.