Goldfinger 64 has been released!!!!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Game Development' started by Conker2012, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Conker2012

Conker2012 Intrepid Member

Goldfinger 64, the long awaited mod of the N64 classic Goldeneye, has finally been released! It's a really ambitious mod, eight years in the making, and since it's an N64 game, then you'll either need to use an N64 emulator, or use it via a flash cartridge (such as the Everdrive 64, or the 64Drive) with a real N64.

There's a preview video at:

Download the patch from:

http://goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=349

and use the Goldeneye Setup Editor:

http://goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=37

to patch a clean rom, it must be the 'GoldenEye (U) [!].z64' (google for

GoldenEye (U) [!].z64

it's easy to find.)

If you don't know how to use the patch, there's a guide at:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6838.0

Notes:

1) If you use a real N64, then you need to have an expansion pak present. If you use an emulator, then ensure that it's "Use expansion pak" (or however it's phrased) option is enabled.

2) Goldfinger 64 uses 4kb EEPROM/EEP saves, so you must tell the flash cartridge or the emulator to use this save format for the game. To do this with the Everdrive 64, open the file 'save_db.txt' that is in the 'ED64' folder on the Everdrive's SD card, and add the line:

GF=1

to the end of the 'save_db.txt' file. Saving will now work as it should.

And if you want to print out an N64 style box for the game, to look good on your shelf, then go to the original release thread to get the images:

http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=7325

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    SiZiOUS, DS2, RMetha and 12 others like this.
  2. zouzzz

zouzzz Site Supporter 2013

Great job !
    Thanks.

Zant likes this.
  3. notataco64

notataco64 Spirited Member

Cool and good to see that the Goldeneye mod community is still holding up

It was fun playing modded roms with people online through kaillera netplay

Jord9622 likes this.
  4. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Anybody dive into this one yet?

5. IlDucci

IlDucci Site Supporter 2015

Holy cajones... I gotta see this on real hardware. Awesome job, everyone! Guess PAL users we'll need PALadin, right?

6. PessimisticPenguin

PessimisticPenguin Плохо пигвин

Goldfinger n64? What's next, dank mario? :D

7. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

I have tried it out, yes, on the Everdrive 64 v2. As long as you do the save file edit, it runs. It did crash on me but idk if that was the rom's fault or the ED64? Though this is not in hi-res, it uses the GoldenEye engine, this really feels like a finished game. Unlike GoldenEye X, which looks great but remains far from complete (or playable IMO). Whether the single-player game design lives up to the movie or the game it's based on, that's another story...

8. Conker2012

If you use an Everdrive 64, then you can play Goldfinger 64 (which is NTSC format) on your TV, as long as your TV can display it. It's the same with all N64 roms, whatever their region, every Everdrive 64 plays all region roms, it's down to whether or not your TV can display the picture, and most PAL TVs can. Being able to play all regions is great, as you can play the Japanese or NTSC exclusives, such as Sin And Punishment, Harvest Moon 64, Custom Robo, and Last Legion LX (and some of the best Japanese-only games have fan-made translations, and more are being worked on), on you PAL N64 via the ED64, as long as your TV can show the image.

I don't know if that's the same for all flashcarts, though, or if other flashcarts might need you to use Paladin.

* For a quick list of available hacks/prototypes/translations/etc, all of which work on the Everdrive 64 v2 onwards (I don't know about the ED64 verson 1, but they're not made anymore anyway), see:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6134.0

9. Jord9622

Jord9622 Site Supporter 2014 Site Benefactor

So glad to see this happening and so happy to see the GoldenEye scene is still alive!

10. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Somehow I looked at this thread multiple times without realizing the name of the game is "Goldfinger 64". I thought it was just a mod to improve/add new features to GoldenEye or something like that.

11. IlDucci

IlDucci Site Supporter 2015

Well, my main TV is a LG LCD from ten years ago that doesn't like NTSC-60. The image shows up in yellow with interferences.

12. Conker2012

Goldeneye X is the project you were thinking of. It aims to bring Goldeneye into the Perfect Dark engine, and so give Goldeneye the improvements of the PD engine, such as in-game multiplayer bots (computer controlled enemies), weather effects, better A.I. for NPCs, better drawing distance, etc. It's really good, and as of the current release (v0.5e) the multiplayer is more or less complete, and has all of the Goldeneye weapons, options, levels (all eleven original multiplayer levels, plus ten more levels, some new, some refined), etc (plus unlike in the real Goldeneye, you can play any map with any number of players). The multiplayer levels included are:

Original Goldeneye Levels
    -------- ---------------------------

Temple
    Complex
    Caves
    Library
    Basement
    Stack
    Facility
    Bunker
    Archives
    Caverns
    Egyptian

Bonus Levels
    ------------------

Fac Backzone (the part of Facility that is in the single player but wasn't included in the multiplayer version of the map)
    Frigate
    Archives 1F! (sort of a remix of the Archives multiplayer level, larger and less closed off)
    Streets!
    Train
    Cradle
    Aztec
    Citadel (This was an unfinished multiplayer map that Rare left in the Goldeneye code. It's been fixed up and finished, and is fun to play)
    Labyrinth (from The World is Not Enough)
    Icicle Pyramid! (from Diddy Kong Racing!)

The single player mode is still far from complete. Most levels are present, but lack any enemies or objectives, and so all you can do is walk around, looking at the scenery. Two levels are fairly complete, with objectives and enemies and everything, but a couple of other levels have faulty clipping (so you can walk through walls or fall through non-existent holes, etc). But it's nice to wander through the levels (and play the two fairly finished levels), and see how it's going to be when it's finished. And when it's completed, you'll be able to play through the Goldeneye single player campaignwith a friend, in co-op mode!

But the multiplayer mode alone is fantastic, *well* worth playing for any first person shooter fan. I bought an Everdrive 64 just to play it on my N64, because current N64 emulators are still so unreliable or just don't 'feel' right.

Read about Goldeneye X here:

http://www.goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=202

As you say, Goldfinger 64 is a different project, all new levels, NPCs, storyline, etc, based on the movie Goldfinger, not Goldeneye. This release is the public beta, which the authors say is mostly complete. They'll be releasing a new version around Christmas, which will add some polish to some levels, and fix any bugs and clippling errors that are found in the meantime. I've only played it for a bit (I was called in to work yesterday, grrrr) but so far it's really good.

Read about Goldfinger 64 here:

http://www.goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=349
    « Last Edit: 17. September 2017, 13:13:09 by JDoran »

13. SiZiOUS

SiZiOUS Spirited Member

This is so GREAT. I need to test this. Thank you! :)

14. amace

amace Active Member

How have I not heard of this before? This looks unreal.

Is it possible for this to be put on a reproduction cartridge and played on a regular system? Or do you specifically need a flashcart.

15. JnL

JnL Rising Member

as far as I know it is working as an us (ntsc) repro cartridge. pal is not possible due to the fact that the hack is based on an us goldeneye rom.

16. Zoinkity

Zoinkity Site Supporter 2015

It's not a final release, so what's the point in repro-ing it now anyway?