Goldeneye Xbox live arcade

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by JamesMichael, Jan 20, 2008.

1. JamesMichael

JamesMichael Light Hearted Drunk

Could you please go in to more detail on this?

2. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

I think in all fairness the game should be released on both the Wii and the 360.

on the 360, beef it up, as the usual arcade titles

on the Wii, keep it as it was - save the minor actors that aren't covered by the total Bond franchise.

All in all though, it's risky business and complex I.P law involved - certainly a big seller but a legally dangerous subject, since claims could arise anytime in the future, even after the completion of any deal between the key parties.

Perfect Dark would make more sense at this point.

3. radorn

radorn Rising Member

Hi. I'm not interested in discussing the legal stuff of making this, because that's clearly a thing for Nintendo, Microsoft, Rare and the holders of the Bond franchise's copyrights and IP to do, not me.

I'd rather try to discern the authenticity of the demo basing myself of what one can see on that video.
    In my opinion, it is authentic. I can't say what platform it is running on, but I can pretty much say that it is a port of the original code and assets the n64 original was compiled from.
    Everything is identical, save for a bit more detail in the geometry of the models and the menus. Animations are identical. Some textures look like they are higher resolution, but others look identical to the n64 version, like the bullet impacts. IA has no sign of having been modified, enemies behave identically from what one can see in the video. You can even see a loading glitch in 0:30-0:35 which I think was also in n64.
    All signs point to the same code being run, which may lead one to think it is an emulator running, but the 3d-modeling and menu updates, though not completelly impossible under an emulation framework with some heavy realtime translation, make it very unlikelly for a faker.

My conclusion. Whoever did this has access to the original code and assets (models, textures, sound samples, music sequences...), and that makes them RARE. Other possibilities seem very unlikely to me.

Now, whatever happens to it is a completelly different story.

4. spot778

spot778 Fiery Member

Good idea Barc0de

Not sure how the contols work on the Wii other then basic mapping.

If everything is true, then MS and Nintendo should have noticed the stir it caused and are no doubt getting emails on this.

5. Shadowlayer

Shadowlayer KEEPIN' I.T. REAL!!

Wouldnt goldeneye on X360 be against that legal declaration from nintendo that says no one can emulate their consoles?

Unless of course they port it to XNA.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  6. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

Where is that declaration found?

Sorry if I m wrong, but aren't other retro games emulated on non-nintendo consoles possible ports? eg , final fantasy games, the various shooters etc.

7. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

How much do you think this is worth to someone?

8. Shadowlayer

Looking around for it, I read about it in 2003/2004 I think, when the GP32 was all the rage in the emu world, the Tapwave was pretty much doing the same and all these small startups were making paid emus for PDAs and phones.

I think nintendo went that way to avoid a situation like the one in 1998 when all those N64 emus began to appear.

9. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

explain megaman collection. And why Verizon Wireless sells MegaMan 2 for their phones.

10. Nitrosoxide

Nitrosoxide Resolute Member

11. Shadowlayer

12. JamesMichael

JamesMichael Light Hearted Drunk

13. zilli0n

zilli0n Rising Member

This probably is one of the more sought out treasures of the 360. Screenshot looks fucking amazing. I guarantee the devs working on this had a great time.

14. spot778

spot778 Fiery Member

Still not buying the hype from the mag here...

Explain to me how these guys played and no one else has ??

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  15. Nitrosoxide

BUY INTO teh hype bitch...lol j/k but I fucking want this to come out so bad.
    Goldeneye Online !! Come on how sick will that be.
    With the new article in the xbox magazine I'm hoping it'll catapolt the title into a release

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  16. graciano1337

graciano1337 Milk Bar

that screenshot is amazing!

17. Shadowlayer

Its a remake alright, so there wont be any troubles with nintendo over propietary code.

18. Nitrosoxide

I read this was the problem

• GoldenEye 007 was developed in 1997 by Rare when they were a second party of Nintendo.
    • EA acquired the James Bond game licence in 1999, making it completely impossible for Nintendo or Rare to release any more Bond games, nor publish any new version of their GoldenEye without EA’s approval.
    • Rare became a first party of Microsoft in 2002, breaking up any legal relationship with Nintendo except for games developed for handheld systems.
    • Activision acquired the James Bond game licence in 2006, scratching EA out of the equation.
    • The same year, Nintendo of America’s CEO Reggie Fils-Aime announced their interest on getting GoldenEye 007 for Wii’s Virtual Console as a downloadable title.
    • Rare, Microsoft or Activision have never commented on the matter, although they were (and are) key pieces of the puzzle and necessary members of the discussion board that Nintendo probably approached to get the rights to release GoldenEye aga
    Source:

http://mundorare.com/news/2008/01/never-say-never-again/

So its more or less that actvision wants nintendo to agree to maintain a good business relationship

19. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

And they say getting rights to music for home release was tough for Heavy Metal.

20. sephiap

sephiap Spirited Member

Slightly off topic but ace film :love2: In fact... I must watch now...

Oh yeah, Goldeneye 360 ftw, have emailed Nelson myself on this one, gone to petetion, with all this hype wouldn't surprise me if this was a PR stunt and it was being prepared for Wii / 360 dual release or something... :katamari: