Golden Axe "SEGA Reborn" - Pre-Alpha leaked ?

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by ItsMeMario, Dec 5, 2016.

1. ItsMeMario

ItsMeMario Peppy Member

*edit*
    added an interview with David Hooley that I made, at post #5

I just stumbled across this today while searching for prototype/alpha ROMs of the classic Golden Axe games.

SEGA Australia wanted to redo old classics in 3D, even making it possible to "interact" between these worlds. Whatever that would have looked and felt like, it didnt get green lighted and SEGA Australia had to shut down in 2013. (?)

http://segabits.com/blog/2013/08/27/sega-australias-crazy-pitch-for-remaking-sega-classics/

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/29/golden-axe-altered-beast-and-more-part-of-sega-reborn-pitch-rumour/

One of these titles made it to the public though, made with Unity, as a video (Golden Axe Pre-Alpha) :

Was there ever any leak/dump of this pre-alpha ?
    What kind of system would it have been running on ?

Any additonal info is welcome :)

So while we are at it.
    Are there any more prototypes/alphas of the classic Golden Axe games around ?

I only know of a dumped Genesis beta version of Golden Axe II and
    here someone shows a beta of Golden Axe I.

Those 2 ROMS can be found online.

But what about part 3 or "Revenge of Death Adder". No matter which system or which part, anything is welcome.

Any info is welcome as well, as Id really like to explore early versions of Golden Axe games.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  2. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Sorry, can't help myself here; it's green-lit I believe.

3. ItsMeMario

ItsMeMario Peppy Member

Man, for a moment you made me think "lighted" does indeed sound strange. :)
    As english is not my 1st language you really got me on this one...but..but...

No offence,...but...

grammar girl.jpg

And

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/greenlighted

MrThunderwing and americandad like this.
  4. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Ah yes, this is what we call American English. It runs around pretending to be English, however it is merely gibberish in disguise. :p

americandad and ItsMeMario like this.
  5. ItsMeMario

ItsMeMario Peppy Member

Just yesterday I was asking Daniel Hooley, the "head" behind this "SEGA Reborn Universe" back then, if he could answer some questions regarding this matter. He answered at once.
    What a nice and polite guy ! :)

So here I share with you what he wrote to me. Enjoy :)

Me:
    As we are already aware, you have been (are still) the main guy behind „Sega Reborn“, which would have been a „universe“, a world, where Golden Axe and OutRun would have been coexistant.
    Now, that is no question, but if you would like to correct me, this is your chance. ;)

Daniel Hooley:
    Ha, thanks for the kind words but Reborn was originally an initiative from Sega Japan to revitalise a variety of their old ip into an Avengers style multiverse - each it's own game but with potential game character cameos from others and an over arching narrative linking them together against a common cause. I was though I believe one of the few if only designer to actually attempt to design such a cross over, it was pretty much just me being inspired by corp and diving in head first, all of the Reborn games were a huge part of my childhood, from golden Axe in the arcades, to hours and hours playing Streets of Rage with my mate on the MD, shinobi and altered beast were equally as appealing!

Me:
    What insipred you (and maybe others) to come up with such a „out of the ordinary“ idea ?

Daniel Hooley:
    Pretty much answered above but to expand I ended up trying to cultivate all the original back stories from each title and link them together in a timeline of events, conveniently each game setting was quite distinct in its time period, so I figured our heroes had been fighting the same evil throughout time disguised in different forms, essentially Death Adder being an embodiment of evil whom keeps 'arrising from his grave', I also used the Golden Axe as a weapon lost in time that makes a reappearance in streets of Rage and shinobi....all a little crazy really but it kind of worked.

Me:
    And would have different characters from different times been able to interact with each other in such a „universe“ ?

How and for what reason ? ;D Was there any kind of MMORPG plan involved ? Diamonds ? ;D Micropayment ? ;D

Daniel Hooley:
    I did have a killer loop planned for Gax rpg wise, think infinity blade type replayability with new paths/weapon upgrades..

Me:
    You wrote on segabits in 2013, that you werent sure about how all this leaked.

So does this automatically mean, that (at least) the Golden Axe Reborn Prototype, made with Unity, must be still out there ?

Daniel Hooley:
    Well I have a few builds myself and I'm sure a good few of those that worked on it probably have it :)

Me:
    Because someone must have recorded this video…and why doesnt he share the game on assemblergames with us ? ;)

Daniel Hooley:
    If I were to speculate, possibly because he doesn't want a law suit lol

Me:
    Did this video show everything already ? Or was there more then this ? And would you say all of this precious bits and bites are lost for good ?

With no chance of recovering it ?

Daniel Hooley:
    Thats most of the 4 player demo, but we produced a ton of other bits, concept art, characters/design etc, we were actually green lit for the project after our efforts, unfortunately it was a lower priority than Castle of Illusion so we had to put it on the back burner in the hope of attacking it later.. as for gone for good, I'd be surprised if that was the case, too many of us fans out there that loved the originals I think.

Me:

You can clearly see Death Adder in the video, taking some deep breaths in his throne, while his minions getting slaughtered.

He seemed a bit enraged, didnt he ? Or maybe he was too old already, to get up once again and fight ?

Daniel Hooley:
    Na he was just chilling enjoying the show until all the minions die, we didn't really have the time to stick him in as a boss fight but we wanted to allude to it to win the project :)

Me:

Have there been any (other) oldskool Golden Axe artists involved in this project ? Be it music or graphic artists from back in the days ?

Daniel Hooley:
    Nope just the crew from Sega Australia in a 2 week sprint with myself trying to inspire everyone to switch from Disney joy to bloody decapitation and extreme violence, it was a lovely short break from Mickey!

Me:
    Was story / plot already complete ? Any hints ? I can imagine Death Adder in OutRun…as I have seen Sonic together with Mario already…then again…

Daniel Hooley:
    I believe they intended to pull in some big name writers for the actual production but not sure if it's still something Sega is engaged in atm.

Me:
    What other titles have been in a pre-alpha stage already, other then Golden Axe and which monster at SEGA would have to be blamed for canceling this precious piece of data ? :p
    And would each part of this universe been available as separate DLC ? ;)

Daniel Hooley:
    Sorry no idea there, just one of those unfortunate but common sides to the industry :(

Me:
    Which platforms would have gotten a release…saying Im still baffeled, seeing Mario and Sonic together in some games…

Daniel Hooley:
    7 platforms, all the majors

Me:
    Did you play all the original Golden Axe games back then ?

Daniel Hooley:
    Yep, in the arcades and then later w the ports on MD

Me:
    I ask as I just found about „Return of Death Adder“ last year (2016). And I loved it…still, Golden Axe II on the Mega Drive was my favourite.

Golden Axe II...the music, the music added so much depth...and exploring the world with my friend, throwing each other of the cliffs, whenever it was possible...

Daniel Hooley:
    Yeah it's such a cool ip, I feel your joy there :)

Me:
    As I promised to make this a very short interview, Ill leave it up to you, to add, what you might think, is necessary to be said at the end of it.

But no spoilers please. ;)

Daniel Hooley:
    :)

Highest regards and thanks again,
    itsmemario

EETFUK, americandad and RichardX like this.
  6. Segafreak_NL

Segafreak_NL v2.0 New and improved. Site supporter 2012-15

I don't think a crossover would have worked. Golden Axe look decent enough though! Would've liked to play that (especially since C.O.I. was really done well by Sega Australia). Nice interview btw, thanks :)

7. StriderVM

StriderVM Robust Member

IMO a crossover can work. But would probably involve timey-wimey balls or time travel. =P

Outrun, to simplify it, is just a guy and a girl with a really fast car, pretty easy to involve in a storyline. A lot of old Sega characters are pretty typical to the point a Namco X Capcom / Project Cross Zone crossover strategy game could actually work......

DeChief likes this.
  8. Kid Fenris

Kid Fenris Rising Member

This is pretty cool. I wonder how the game would've compared to Golden Axe: Beast Rider, which made Tyris the main character. At least this version had all three warriors playable.

And it's a real shame that Revenge of Death-Adder never came out for anything but the arcade. It's a great Sega brawler.

MrThunderwing likes this.
  9. MrThunderwing

MrThunderwing Rising Member

IKR? Revenge of Death Adder would've been perfect for a Saturn port. Still at least we can enjoy it at home now thanks to MAME.