Glucoboy for Gameboy is this the rarest game/accessory for GameBoy Advance ???

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by brendand, Sep 25, 2012.

1. HIMFan

HIMFan Rising Member

Wikipedia does mention it, btw

2. MYCRAFTisbest

MYCRAFTisbest Peppy Member

You did read the entire forum didn't you? Maybe you missed this post.

3. HIMFan

HIMFan Rising Member

I read a lot of posts, yes. I CAN'T BE EXPECTED TO READ ALL OF THEM! :sorrow:

4. brendand

brendand Fiery Member

After nearly a year of searching everywhere I'm starting to think I missed the boat on this one years ago and that it may be mission impossible to find one it's out there somewhere through anyone who finds one has a truly rare item for sure

5. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Not sure I'd even want to use the GameBoy as a serial terminal honestly.

6. GlucoDev

GlucoDev Newly Registered

Hey everyone! I'd like to remain anonymous, but I was the lead designer and artist on the Glucoboy project. I can tell you anything about it and if there's enough interest supply a bin file of the game. It was always kind of strange that I spend months working on a project that only a couple kids in Australia ever got to enjoy. Or did they? I'm not even sure they liked the games or not because like it's been stated before- the game and peripheral are pretty rare. Is it better for me to bump this thread or to start a new one?

7. darkado

darkado Rapidly Rising Member

It would be great if you could tell us about the game(s) included with glucoboy.

8. BLUamnEsiac

BLUamnEsiac ɐɹnɔsqO ʇᴉq-8

Any information would be greatly appreciated as I'm a big fan of obscure gaming accessories/games.

9. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Site Supporter 2013

Please, it's always great to have more information!

10. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 So long AG and thanks for all the fish!

Do tell. I'm a type 1 diabetic so glucose monitoring mixed with gaming has my attention.

11. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

Well, put me in the seat of people interested in seeing a bin file of this game :) Minoring in physiology, this is definitely an accessory that I'm interested in.

12. ANTONIOLI65

ANTONIOLI65 Newly Registered

Please, tell us more about that!

13. Teancum

Teancum Intrepid Member

Interesting I've been in contact with a dev that worked on the project and is desperately trying to find one. He definitely wants to add it to his collection since it was one of the things he actually worked on. I've been keeping my eye out for one but doubt I'll ever run into one.

14. GlucoDev

Haha Teancum! It's me! Don't blow my identity! Everyone else, I will be posting everything shortly! :)

15. GlucoDev

Alright, so first of all I'll reply to a PM I received asking who owns the rights to the games. The original idea for the project was by a guy named Paul Wessel. Here’s a post his son made about the Glucoboy system: http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/introductions-and-announcements/7136-gluco-boy.html#post418685 and here's a video of him accepting an award for the Glucoboy Digit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KZladSaIQ0.

The hardware was designed by the same guy who worked on the eReader and a lot of Pokemon stuff at Nintendo. His team built a modem for Game Boy Color, and the broadband adapter for GameCube and Phantasy Star Online. I’d like to think that if there had been a bigger user base for the Glucoboy, it could have possibly been a Nintendo device.

There are two versions of the game, the DS Digit version that you guys have found at Walgreens and eBay and then there’s the original GBA version which is much much rarer. They use the same hardware for the blood tester (the DIGIT) on both games with the only difference (besides cosmetic) is the GBA version's rom is flashed to the tester itself while the DS loads the game data from the DS cart. This was a move to allow for more games to eventually be made for use with the tester. Sadly, the project was discontinued. I do not believe Bayer is pursuing new Glucoboy titles, at least not under the DS since the GBA slot has been removed from the DSi onward. Crazy enough, I personally do not own either of the devices and am looking for them as well.

Here's the two games' complete info:

Glucoboy (GBA)
    Developer: Sensory Sweep Studios
    Publisher: Guidance Interactive Healthcare http://www.ign.com/companies/guidance-interactive-healthcare
    Games Included: Lost Star Saga, Knock ‘Em Downs
    Mini Games Included: Solar Wing, Plexus, Raccoon Rancher

Glucoboy 2 (DS) - Known as the Bayer Digit
    Developer: Sensory Sweep Studios
    Publisher: Bayer Diabetes Care
    Nintendo DS Release: #6184
    Game Included: Knock ‘Em Downs: Worlds Fair (different from the GBA version)
    Mini Games Included: 12 various carnival-style games
    Peripheral name: DIGIT

Note: The DS game says Dream Fuel under the Sensory Sweep logo on boot, but this refers to an internal engine at Sensory Sweep rather than another company involved.

Bayer owns the rights to the peripherals and the DS game. Guidance Interactive was bought by Bayer and all of the GBA Glucoboy hardware and assets became bayer property. There was a full launch in Australia before the company acquisition and the unsold units were (unfortunately) destroyed. Under Bayer, a revised Knock Em Downs and mini-games were made for Glucoboy 2. The Digit name was then added to the title under Bayer.

Hey, lets talk about the games!

Lost Star Saga
    The game follows the adventures of a guy in space or a girl in space. You! Lost Star Saga plays like a traditional turn-based RPG with a very linear storyline. You can get 3 people in your party and fight all sorts of space monsters and mutants. There are items and powerups that are unlocked when the player checks their blood sugar levels. I no longer know what the storyline was about.

Knock ‘Em Downs
    If you’ve played the DS game Knock ‘Em Downs: Worlds Fair, this storyline will sound familiar. You, a boy or a girl, have worked at a traveling carnival all summer. Unfortunately, when you arrive to pick up your final paycheck, the Knock Em Downs puppets (http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6041/6226569426_2535be0f34_z.jpg) have somehow come to life and are running amok. It’s your job to clean up the mess before it’s too late, etc. Other things in the town have come to life and you fight in an action-rpg style arena when encountering them. There are minibosses and an assortment of fun guns like one that shoots teddy bears instead of bullets. it’s a quirky, fun game that again includes items and powerups that are unlocked when the player checks their blood sugar levels.

Minigames
    the minigames are unlocked with tokens earned from consistent diabetic testing.

Solar Wing
    Solar wing plays like a side-scrolling shooter. There are various space baddies and a miniboss.

Plexus
    Plexus is a game of earth defense where incoming asteroids must be bounced back into space before they come crashing down into buildings. It plays like early Atari games like Breakout and Olympics.

Raccoon Rancher
    My personal favorite, and best game on the Glucoboy system. Play your way through 30 challenging levels of sorting crazy raccoons into their correct color matching areas. I think I might be the only person in the world to have completed all 30, but I may be a little biased.

16. ANTONIOLI65

ANTONIOLI65 Newly Registered

wow, thanks for the details, it was so interesting :)

17. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 So long AG and thanks for all the fish!

Good info to know. Thanks for sharing. Now I need to hunt down a Bayer Digit as I'm a type 1 diabetic. :)

18. billcosbymon

billcosbymon Guru Meditation Error

I remember seeing the DS version at the Walgreen's in my town.

19. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Site Supporter 2013

Thanks for the information!

20. Teancum

Teancum Intrepid Member

Your secret is safe with me. I thought it was odd that you asked me about it and then suddenly this new member appears. Welcome!