Getting around websites that block foreign purchasers?

Discussion in 'Japan Forum: Living there or planning a visit.' started by Trenton_net, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Trenton_net

Trenton_net AKA SUPERCOM32

Hey everyone,

So I wanted to make a purchase from a Japanese website (Music), so I registered and was all prepared to pay. Then suddenly it says something to the effect of "Sorry, only available for purchase inside Japan!". I suppose there isn't any easy way to get around this? I think using a Japanese proxy might work, but then again, they could always check the origin of the persons credit card?

Does anyone have any suggestions? For that matter, does anyone actually live in Japan who wouldn't mind making the digital purchase for me as a proxy? It's a 250 yen purchase, so I'm trying not to spend more money to get around the restriction than the purchase itself. (^_^);

2. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Revolut virtual card and proxy would probably work

3. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Zenmarket sometimes lets you buy from sites that aren't Yahoo Auctions, maybe check it out.

4. Trenton_net

Ah, that was a good try. I looked at the list of sites they support and it seems the one I need (http://recochoku.jp) isn't on it.

Thanks for the kind suggestion! I haven't tried Revolut virtual cards before, but at least for the proxy bit I'd be interested in holding off for now. Buying proxy access would probably run me a fair bit more than my original 250 yen purchase. I guess I'll wait a bit and see (perhaps on the off chance some Japanese members here wouldn't mind helping out). Otherwise, I could try and track down a physical copy (even though I don't want all the songs). It would cost more, but at least I'd get something physical out of it. (^_^);

5. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

There's a bunch of VPN that are free.

Tunnel bear was one and vipervpn I think is another. Both allow different end points.

6. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Buyee can buy from various webstores.

7. Trenton_net

Ah, another good try! Sadly I had a look over their listings and it seems they don't support the website in question. I suspect the web-store I'm using is too "niche" to be supported by any major proxy service.

8. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Sometimes you can contact them, and they're fine with bending the rules a bit. I don't think they'll say no to business.

9. Trenton_net

Ah I suppose I could try. But given that the purchase is for like 250 Yen, it's probably too small an amount to go to the trouble. I guess even a Sega UFO catcher costs more to play? (^_^);