General phat PS2 concerns

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by GodofHardcore, Apr 29, 2019.

1. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

So far everything with my Japanese PS2 (Scph 50000) is going well,
    But there are some minor issues and concerns.

Partial video cut out, occasionally the video will partially cut out, like all the Component cables aren't plugged in.

Weird scraping noises when reading CD games, troubling scraping noises that seem to come from the back during an initial read of a PS1 disc.
    I'm not getting read errors but the sounds trouble me.

The fan could probably use a good cleaning the Warranty sticker is still on the System so it's insides could be caked in Japanese dust for all I know.

Advice?

2. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

If by "partial video cut out" you meant to say that the video would go blank whenever somebody switches on/off something, I get that problem with all my fat PS2s.

If you want to open it up for cleaning, you could. But have you taken a look at the fan and the front air ducts, to see if it is truly dirty? It could have seen light usage and hence not require cleaning.

3. GodofHardcore

It's the kind of picture you get when the PR component cable isn't plugged in. It's going into my Framemiester through a D-terminal adapter. It's something with the connector as I tested every possible combination. It's fixed simply by unplugging the cable and plugging it back in. It's a fairly heavy Monster cable. At some point I'm going to replace it with an HD Retrovision.

There's qutie a bit of grey on the fan that looks like dust. I've clean the outside as best I can and put it in a spot I can easily clean it since It's probably going to get a ton of use.

4. s8n

s8n Enthusiastic Member

hi Hardcore , sounds like a sync issue with your Framemeister. I don't know how to do it but you can play with the sync level and it might solve it cutting out , also you could try FirebrandX's profiles.

5. GodofHardcore

I use Firebrand profiles. I tweaked them slightly. I made my own 720 profile that looks like a 20inch CRT as well.

6. Tokimemofan

Tokimemofan Dauntless Member

The scratching noise is a slipping disc clamp, clean the rubber on the spindle motor and the nylon clamp above. Or replace those. The video cutouts on component are common, caused by the pins in the cable being more recessed.

7. GodofHardcore

If I do replace them, what parts would I need?

Somebody suggested regressing the gears.