GEN Earthworm Jim vs. SNES

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by la-li-lu-le-lo, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Blur2040

Blur2040 Game Genie

I'm gonna say that the Saturn Version is awesome. CD Audio sountrack rules.

2. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  3. PhreQuencYViii

PhreQuencYViii Champion of the Forum

Only thing I can think of is load times. I've played through them all tons of times.

4. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Why is Earthworm Jim 2 for Sega Saturn bad?

Why is Earthworm Jim 2 for Sega Saturn bad? Well, you asked for it, so here goes;

Gameplay
    You say that the gameplay is the same. Well, to someone who's only played the original once or twice, it might seem that way. But to someone like me who has probably played it over a hundred times, there are lots of differences. Most of them are small, but there are some that get in the way of enjoying the game. A couple examples: in Lorenzo's Soil, there are several spots where if you shoot at the walls, it will not destroy it as it is supposed to. Normally this would get you stuck in the level, but the programmers must have noticed this glitch and put in extra ways for you to progress. Just seems like lazy programming to me. Another example: in Puppy Love, there were several times where the bomb would land straight on my marshmallow and still explode. Needless to say, this made the game very frustrating.

Sound
    Maybe this is a matter of personal taste, but I personally WAY prefer the original chip generated tunes to the CD Audio version on EJ2 Saturn. Why? Because nearly all of the CD Audio tunes are merely crappily produced synth crap of utter crapness. Okay, I just said that to be funny, but honestly, most of the synth generated stuff on EJ Saturn sounds like it came from an elevator or maybe one of those poorly made local commercials you see on cable sometimes. They also add in the occasional crappy guitar solo. The original chip generated stuff was much better because it didn't pretend to be anything more than videogame music. Another small note about the sound; there were several times where Jim or one of the other characters would say something not in the original game, and they were all very stupid. Here's a list of some of them:
    "Son of a...!"
    "That thing hurt me, no!"
    "Killer!"
    "Ugly!"
    "Adios amigo."

Graphics
    Here is the part that pissed me off the most. The style and the art of the original game was a big part of what made it so friggin' awesome. So what did the idiots at Screaming Pink do? They completely changed it. Granted, most of the character animations are basically the same (one of the few, small, saving graces of the game), but the background and all of the things Jim walks across have been completely changed. Sometimes they managed to screw it up by replacing beautiful hand-drawn scenes with poorly-made CG crap, and sometimes they did it simply by changing all the colors to sickly, vomit-inducing ones; sometimes they simply did it by inserting random, pointless things that weren't in the original game, like the little guy reaching for a gem in Lorenzo's Soil. In any case, they destroyed it.

Overall
    Ultimately, what it comes down to is this; the original game had a very unique and very particular style that permeated everything from the backgrounds to the sound effects. Screaming Pink obviously had no idea what this style was, and therefore decided to "improve" it by completely destroying the original artistic vision. I think it was a massive failure on their part, but tell me what you think.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  5. Tatsujin

Tatsujin Officer at Arms

I never was much into EWJ anyway. I think the chara design looks ugly and it's hard to identify with it. also the humor is kinda cold.

6. PhreQuencYViii

I dunno. I've played the Genesis one TONS of times and would rather play the Saturn one still. The only problem I really had with the Saturn one was sometimes the controls were a little unresponsive, and that marshmallow thing.

I liked the CD soundtrack. By the way, it was Tommy Tallorico. I know it's a matter of taste though. Both soundtracks are great.

It's nearly the same as the Sega CD special edition, except the graphics were a lot different. Sega CD one did the same thing; added stuff.

"Killer" was in the originals, isn't it? Unfortunatly I don't have my Genesis one anymore. I think the version I've played the least is SNES. Maybe I should grab the VC one.

If you really want to play the absolute worst versions of EWJ and EWJ2 check out the GBA ones...

7. skavenger216

skavenger216 Familiar Face

Having played every version of EWJ 1 and 2 , and being a huge fan of EWJ ( The cartoon was the shit dammit!), im gonna have to say the SNES versions are definately superior to the Gen/MD versions. Better graphics and sound. The Saturn EWJ2 is worth playing, but only after beating EWJ2 on SNES or Gen/MD first, just to see the changes and little differences. AVOID THE GBA EWJ GAMES LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!! They really are terrible.

8. PhreQuencYViii

Sums it up good....EXCEPT I hate the SNES pad for games like that. I go to jump diagonally and jump up and move forward a bit...and die. lol. Lion King SNES vs Genesis...the Genesis controller made the game better for me.

I think EWJ, Duke Nukem and some others are the games that took the voice clips trend and turned it into a great part of the game.

9. Buyatari

Buyatari Well Known Member

I love Earth Worm Jim. Can ya tell ?

10. skavenger216

I have the exact opposite problem, i cant use the Genesis' dpad, but im fine with the SNES dpad. To each his own i guess, lol.

I did prefer the Genesis 6-button pad over the SNES pad for fighters, though.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  11. XerdoPwerko

XerdoPwerko Galaxy Angel Fanatic Extreme - Mediocre collector.

I used to own the SNES version of EWJ2.

Didn't the puppy-catching level have some special Snes-Only effects that made the houses scale all 3d-like? Or was it just some sort of parallax?

And on EWJ1, Didn't "Andy Asteroids" change a lot between the SNES and GEN versions?

How were those sections handled on the PSX/SATURN?

I would have thought the Saturn version would be better than the PSX one. But I stick with the SNES one. That being said, I loved the voice samples on the SNES one.

"Teeendeeer!"

12. 7Force

7Force Guardian of the Forum

There was never a PSX/Saturn version of EWJ1.

Man, that cartoon was really great! Best video game based cartoon ever, I wish it got a DVD release.

13. skavenger216

Yeah, if they would release EWJ on DVD, and also Freakazoid, id be a happy camper. I used to love those 2 shows when i was younger.

14. 7Force

7Force Guardian of the Forum

Freakazoid was awesome too, and it's actually been released on DVD.

15. skavenger216

Wow, WTF have i been?!?!?! Last time i checked it was still not out, at least.:icon_bigg

16. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  17. XerdoPwerko

XerdoPwerko Galaxy Angel Fanatic Extreme - Mediocre collector.

Indeed... my bad.

Yes, it was EWJ2 that had the 32-bit versions.

The cartoon was hilarious and awesome, and I still remember it fondly. Weirder than that is the fact that there was a mexican spanish dub of it, being that the game wasn't really that known in Latin America.

I preferred the English version, obviously.

Did you guys know that the intro song was performed by Cibo Matto?

18. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

Cibo Matto made the intro song for the cartoon? I can't believe that, none of the singing sounds like something they'd be singing :p I can't find any info about this on the net. Are you sure?

19. MoBoRoS

MoBoRoS Intrepid Member

I'll just leave this HERE...
    ^_^

20. sonik

sonik Site Supporter 2013

I have the soundtrack, signed by Tommy himself. =)