Geist Force controls

Discussion in 'Geist Force' started by dark, Sep 13, 2012.

1. dark

dark Dauntless Member

I've been seeing some youtube videos lately where people aren't using the auto targeting feature or some of the other controls I've figured out, and I didn't know how to pause the game until Kurtori told me in another thread - so lets have a knowledge base here for controls for the game.

Gameplay Controls
    joystick: move ship
    d-pad: switch between different B button bomb attacks
    tap A: shoot lasers
    hold A: allows you to lock on to multiple enemies, releasing A after targeting fires homing shots at the locked on enemies
    B: shoots multiple missiles in a burst
    X+A: another multiple missile attack
    X: short speed boost
    tap X: barrel roll
    Y: short slow down ability
    L or R: bank left and right respectively, L doesn't work exactly as R does (sometimes you have to press R and then L to get the L bank to work)
    L and R at same time: move ship up in elevation very quickly
    L + R + Start simultaneously: pauses the game, pressing this combination unpauses the game again

Debug controls (plug keyboard that has "S3" button into P2, this is most DC JPN keyboards, and some, but not all other keyboards)
    S3: open up debug/user menus
    D: Opens debug options
    U: Opens user options
    S: pause game
    Arrow keys: navigate menu (after pressing a letter^)

F12: suicides player ship
    F1: Gives player ship 9999 shield points
    Z: rapid fire laser for player

Any other interesting controls or special combinations / maneuvers you have discovered? I will gladly add them in this top post.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  2. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

For the barrel roll I think it A+X or sometimes it seemed to be ABXY. I only has a quick blast though. I spent most of the time looking for my DC mouse but couldn't find it.

Thanks for the heads up on the Pause buttons. I had no idea about that.

3. dark

dark Dauntless Member

The barrel role seems to be tapping X twice with a certain timing to it - but if you simply tap X 3-5x repeatedly, you can get it everytime.
    The inverted pallet missile attack seems to be X+A at the same time.

I'm editing the top post accordingly

4. kurtori

kurtori Spirited Member

I need to experiment with this further, but I noticed today that the d-pad does actually have some kind of functionality. During what looks like it should be the boss battle in level 2 in which no boss appears to be found, I was able to toggle something in the HUD into three different states. I didn't notice anything different about each of the three, but maybe with some more time I will be all to.

I also haven't yet tried this in the level 1 boss battles yet, but will post an update if I figure out anything else.

5. Yakumo

Good find. My DC keyboard should arrive on Tuesday so I'll see if the debug menu has any info on it that could help with the controls.

6. dark

dark Dauntless Member

You're reminding me now, I think you could toggle between two different weapons or something using the d-pad. I think I found this in the first couple minutes I ever played, and then promptly forgot about it. If I am remembering correctly, it changed the nature of the B button attack. I don't remember this for sure so I'll wait for someone to confirm. Maybe it only works in dogfight mode (off the rails during the boss fights mode)

7. atreyu187

atreyu187 Intrepid Member

If you press S3 key on a kanji keyboard the debug menu pops up. I have yet to be able to access anything by this and the mouse has no function that i can tell even with the debug features.

8. dark

dark Dauntless Member

Yakumo is exploring this some more in the unlocking features thread. He said something about an option within the debug menu which might turn on the mouse.

9. OatBob

OatBob Active Member

Okay... here's what little we have on the keyboard.

The keyboard has to be in the second port. Hotswapping doesn't harm operation.
    Pressing S3 opens up the debug menu, showing the options for Debug and User.... the arrow keys don't work at this time.
    Typing D opens the Debug options, U opens the User options, and a third option is hidden offscreen. Press S and the game will do the pause trick (L+R+Start).
    After pressing a letter, the arrow keys can be used to navigate the menu. You can even go back (left arrow) to the previous screen and not have to type in the D, U, or S.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  10. Yakumo

THis is 100% correct. The problem is that some options need you to press enter or the letter that starts the command name such as preeing "E" for Edit or something like that. There are also quite a few options missing off screen such as the level select. That's why I'm thinking a mouse should work but firts we need to test this out.

11. wombat

wombat SEGA!

After booting Geist Force (at the 'level select' mode) Unplug and re-connect the controller twice, in order to autostart the game without a debug menu present.

12. atreyu187

I can see more options below the user and debug options via vga but not using my composite cables. Using composite hides a lot of the options i can see just fine with vga and even more can be seen when adjusting the screen using the controls on my monitor.

13. Yakumo

Why not post pictures or tell us what they are? I'm sure many would like to know.

14. atreyu187

Would love to but im not near my Dreamcast and have been working 14 hour days due to the re-opening of the clubhouse.

Once i get a little time i would love to but i feel asleep last night in my pc chair with dc pad in my hand. That and im trying to get a replacement disc as i noticed 3/4 of a circle around my disc from a bad pressing i was using to test and i blame that for a lot of my crashes. I opened my other disc last night i was keeping sealed and this one has zero trouble's dumping like my first disc so i should be able to do more now.

I have been playing on my dc then running a custom build on NullDC but I have found better ways to optimize the disc layout so that is how i found out about my pressed disc problems as i wanted to ensure i was using clean files for my build. Btw data/data will not work if someone tries to selfboot this using a custom filesort ill happily share as well as it cuts seeks times nearly in half and even more by the time i am done.

15. Yakumo

Ah, I've done that a few times in the past. OK, I can't wait to see what you've found out.

16. cez

cez Site Supporter

Yeah, you can use the D-pad to change the secondary weapon (B button). Up (also the default setting) will fire an array of bombs, left will fire a shockwave and right some kind of black hole. I haven't checked the effect on enemies though.

17. OatBob

OatBob Active Member

... and Up is the default cluster-bomb

I can confirm the D-pad toggles the bomb attacks. I can't believe it hadn't been mentioned much earlier.

18. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I keep hearing of people using JPN keyboards, but is there any particular reason why a US or European one wouldn't work? It needs to have an S3 button, right? My US keyboard has an S3 button. I plan on trying it out at some point, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

19. Yakumo

If youhave the S3 button then it should work.