gcvideo - Open source GameCube component cable solution

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by darcagn, Aug 31, 2014.

1. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I wonder what's going to happen to the market for GC component cables after someone starts producing these. Will people still pay ridiculous prices for the official cable when they can get the same thing for much less?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  2. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

I'm gonna give that a big fat nope.

I think its pretty awesome that the mod is digital. it would be really pointless to make a digital to analogs converter just because that's how Nintendo originally did it. Would love to try making a cable (or a connector maybe?) but I'll probably wait for someone else to try first and get any kinks worked out)

3. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I don't think it's pointless. Some people (like myself) still use CRTs that have analog inputs. I'd be interested in a VGA version, so I could connect the Gamecube to my computer monitor.

4. Unseen

Unseen Spirited Member

Exactly - maybe I should note that the small Sony 9" PVM on my desk was one of the most useful things during the development of both versions, as "target display" for the analog one and as always-available composite backup monitor whenever the DVI version was outputting some signal the digital displays didn't like.

The analog version can be switched between component (YPbPr) and RGB and it always outputs HSync, VSync and CSync, so VGA is already possible. One feature that you probably would want for your computer monitor is missing though, the board always outputs the signal as sent by the Cube and it does not do any linedoubling or deinterlacing itself. That means that the boot screens and all non-progressive-compatible games are in 15kHz, which many monitors do not accept on a VGA input.

5. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I'm not concerned about 480i-only games, but does the boot screen actually run in 15khz only? Is there a way to change it to 480p?

6. Unseen

Unseen Spirited Member

Yes

It may be possible using an IPL-modchip, but I have no idea if anyone ever implemented it - so the answer is likely "no".

7. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

You could also use this for 15khz RGBS, right? I had an idea that you could install a VGA connector in the back of the system, use that for 480p stuff, and for 480i stuff you could use an adapter to get the R, G, and B leads from the VGA connector and use composite video from the AV connector as sync, or else have a separate connector for C-sync. You could then connect this to a SCART input, or BNC/RCA if you're using a PVM or similar display.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  8. Unseen

Unseen Spirited Member

Yes, that would work.

9. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Would you achieve the same through Wii Component though?

10. Unseen

Unseen Spirited Member

Does Wii Component work with the Gameboy Player or 8-Kart MKDD? =)

11. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

I'm asking you the question. Never answer with a question.
    Oh well.

12. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

It wouldn't be the same, because it would be RGB instead of component. In my experience, RGB is generally better than component, though most people probably wouldn't notice a difference. The Gamecube's component output is supposedly better than that of the Wii, so RGB should be even better than that.

I believe Unseen's question was rhetorical.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  13. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Thanks for explaining. I knew it was a rhetorical question, just wanted to know what actual difference there was between the two.

14. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Well, what I said is somewhat speculative. I've personally never seen a Gamecube component, VGA, or RGBS cable in action, so I don't actually know if there's a difference. But theoretically there should be a difference, even if it's a very slight difference. I've seen comparisons between the Gamecube and Wii component cables, but I don't think I've ever seen a comparison between VGA/RGB and component on either system.

Also, I've read that PAL consoles have RGB output. It's just the NTSC-U and NTSC-J consoles that don't have RGB (without the chip inside the component cable).

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  15. Unseen

Unseen Spirited Member

It's a bit complicated in the case of the Gamecube/Wii though: The console renders everything into YCbCr, which is a digital version of component. To display it on any monitor it must be converted to RGB, either by the monitor itself (when using a component connection) or by the DAC (when using an RGB connection), so for these particular consoles there is likely no advantage in using RGB instead of component.

16. Seeeejaaaay

Seeeejaaaay Active Member

Bump?

Did anyone ever decide to start producing these? I'd drop a good chunk of change on an after market cable if it kept me from spending $200 for the official one.

17. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

Megalomaniac over at gc forever is working on an add on board of which you solder to your gamecube using this code, the main problem with an aftermarket cable is the connector, thats whats keeping this project on the ground for non modders.

18. cdecoro

cdecoro Member

What I've wondered is, rather than try to fabricate a GC-component-cable connector, why not hook up the RGB outputs of a converter chip to the multi-out pins on the back side of the Gamecube PCB? This would be similar to the RetroRGB mod for adding RGB to the N64, which fits right over the pins. Avoids the need to making a connector, as you could use standard SNES-compatible RGB cables. (Or is that what the project you're referring to does? The ones that I was able to find by megalomaniac on gc-forever seem to involve either an external chip or an additional connector, but maybe I just haven't looked hard enough.)

19. TriState294

TriState294 Site supporter 2016

At that point...why not just use a PAL GameCube that natively outputs RGB?

20. Unseen

Unseen Spirited Member

The native RGB output of PAL cubes only works in 15kHz modes, so you can't use 480p that way.