gcvideo - Open source GameCube component cable solution

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by darcagn, Aug 31, 2014.

1. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Active Member

PS: For the onscreen controls to enable Audio over HDMI, is that PIN 73 I have to connect to?

2. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Active Member

@citrus3000psi @happy_bunny @Unseen @kreg @pr0cess0r Ok update. Enabled Sound over HDMI, seems to work fine. However, the smaller tv the 24 inch one I showed in the video, it is doing the HDMI in and out again for some reason. But works fine on my Samsung 55 inch tv. It is kinda weird anyone know a solution or maybe there is an issue? I thought that the XCS200a was suppose to be compatible with almost every tv. Thanks!

3. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Active Member

@citrus3000psi @pr0cess0r @happy_bunny @kreg @Unseen UPDATE: Video as you can see the issue it doesn't seem to make any sense:

Original video showing working on 24" TV:

Current situation:

Same HDMI Cable being used. Does it have to do something with the 4.7uF on JP1? The first video I did not have Audio over HDMI, yet I enabled it and disabled it to see if that caused the issue but nothing.Tried 3 different gamecubes...same issue. If anyone knows what it could be Please let me know.

4. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Active Member

Hey everyone just back with another update (yes I know another one lol). Turns out for the smaller LG TV, in order for it to work, you need the RCA Red and White Cables for Audio plugged in, as well as the HDMI for video. My Samsung TV you just need the HDMI cable because it is capable of Audio over HDMI. Not a deal breaker I guess it depends on the tv. After I tried that it worked every time on my LG TV. Just some misc testing now but hopefully I am in the clear. :D

5. happy_bunny

happy_bunny Rising Member

nice :) glad you got it working. Happy hacking and have a good xmas :)

6. Unseen

Unseen Spirited Member

I've seen occasional reports about TVs that refuse to recognize the signal, but figuring out the cause of a black/"no signal" screen remotely is basically impossible and all the TVs/monitors/projectors I have access to work fine. There is test equipment to diagnose such things, but since I don't make any money with GCVideo it's hard to justify paying a few thousand Dollar/Euros for an HDMI protocol analyzer like that NES-HDMI guy did.

Interesting. I wonder if it's due to the additional ground connection via the audio cables or something else.

7. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Active Member

@Unseen I definitely understand that lol. And yeah not quite sure why the smaller tv needs the audio cables, but it's not a deal breaker. I am going to have access to 4 more Tvs to test it out to see if they can do audio over hdmi or need the audio cables.

8. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Sometimes I miss the days when TVs rolled. They'll do anything now to hide static or other signals they don't want people to see.

9. JATO

JATO Seeker

Try touching the audio cable grounds outer conductor Red and or White with jumpers to TV maybe just hold them to ground and you'll know if it's making a path to ground .. : )

10. Unseen

Unseen Spirited Member

Collingall likes this.
  11. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Active Member

Hey guys! It has been a long time and I am looking for some more help! I decided to build another Shuriken Video V3. Things tended to go alot smoother...until the very end. I still have the first Shuriken Video and it works great no issues! This is what I have so far on the new board:

1. Components soldered and everything appears fine.
    2. Went to flash using IMPACT...does not recognize the chip (maybe soldering issue).
    3. I try to flash the chip with Direct SPI method via happy_bunny's LCSOFT method...shows flashed and verified successfully.
    4. I test out some points on the board. I connect it to my gamecube, power it on. I get 3.40v on PIN 1, 1.2v regulator working, 5v regulator working (these were the same readings I got with my previous Shuriken Video). All resistors measure the correct reading.
    5. Go to connect it to my Samsung TV (same HDMI cable and same TV used for original Shuriken). It detects HDMI, but when I click on it...no signal.
    6. I connect my original Shuriken video to HDMI cable and TV...works like usual.

Does anyone know what the issue with the current board could be? I do not think it is a programming issue, as I get 3.40V on PIN 1 (which means the FPGA is working correctly as far as I know). Possible Solder Bridge on the HDMI connector pins? Any help would be greatly appreciated! @Unseen @kreg @happy_bunny @citrus3000psi @pr0cess0r Thanks!

12. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Active Member

Hey guys @Unseen @kreg @happy_bunny @citrus3000psi @pr0cess0r just here with an update. So I was able to get the FPGA detected via IMPACT. Flashed and Verified using JTAG method. Numbers stayed the same. PIN 1 3.40v, 1.2v regulator and 5v regulator working. DONE pin goes to 3.40v. I still get no signal, despite the tv detecting HDMI. Anyone know what the issue could be? I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

13. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

Bridged pin/shorted pins (easily possible)---------Have you verified every pin under a magnification? Something like jewelers glasses or a microscope?

Digital Pins on Gamecube, shorted or not making contact (possible)-------Check with a multimeter to the AV Chip on the gamecube, check for shorts to GND too.

Gamecube has shorted from installation and doesn't at all anymore (possible)-----Pop in a composite cable to make sure the gamecube is fine.

Assembly Incorrect (unlikely, since you've built one already)

Failed IC components (unlikely)

OSH Park failed manufacture, PCB (unlikely). ---- Take a spare board from the batch and check all the main pin contacts.

Just some ideas.

14. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Active Member

Hey @citrus3000psi Thanks for the reply!.

Gamecube is perfectly fine because I connect my original shuriken video and it ouputs just fine. Composite also works. Is it possible for the FPGA to have a short yet still give those correct readings? (3.4v, 1.2v, 5v). I have been doing continuity checks like crazy lol. I am almost certain proper contact is being made between the Shuriken and the board, but will double check. The only thing at this point is maybe a bridge on the HDMI connection pins? would it still detect yet throw no signal if that was the case? Thanks.

15. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

Just because you have good voltage doesn't mean you can't have a bridged pin on the xilinx chip. Check that chip and the hdmi connector.
    https://www.amazon.com/LEMONBEST-Ma...id=1486821179&sr=8-2&keywords=jewelry+glasses

Get something like that. 25x will be enough to see whats going on with the pins.

16. happy_bunny

Possibly check csel is not open circuit on the gc connector after that I think citrus3000psi is right start checking pins for open / short circuits.

17. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Active Member

18. happy_bunny

Yes check for continuity don't sound like a short. Start with the gc digital port, then check the hdmi for continuity.

Good luck dude

19. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Active Member

Hey guys just here with an update. Looks like one of the pins on the FPGA was not making proper contact to the board pad leading to the HDMI connector. I used some flux and my iron to put a tad more solder on some of the pins, as well as the HDMI connector. Cleaned everything up. Connected it to my GameCube again and it works just fine now! So it must of been a cold solder joint or poor contact. Thanks again for everyone for your help!

citrus3000psi likes this.
  20. pr0cess0r

pr0cess0r Spirited Member

This is good news, it give me hope that next time i build one it will work!

I will try this project again once im done with my dreamcast ide/sata project!

happy_bunny likes this.