gcvideo - Open source GameCube component cable solution

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by darcagn, Aug 31, 2014.

1. happy_bunny

happy_bunny Rising Member

check the done pin connected to R2 (330 ohms) both sides should be high 3.3V are they ?, maybe a race condition on the board, put a 4.7uf cap across JP1 see if that helps. If you double tap the power button on the gc ie turn it off on really quick do you get anything on screen ?

2. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Active Member

Hey @pr0cess0r what voltage did you get? 2.2v? And are you using the 200a chip not the 350a?

3. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Active Member

@happy_bunny i have a 4.7uF capacitor connected to JP1 already. I definitely get 330 ohms on R2 as I have checked. (PIN 1 you are referring to the CableDetect 1.8v pin correct?) so read R2 to PIN1 to see what I get?

4. pr0cess0r

pr0cess0r Spirited Member

I use the xc3s200A and i did some test. With software loaded i get 3.3V at R2 and at GC digital port pin1 if i have no software i get 2.2V at the pin1 so i think your software is not flashed correctly. I used a cheap aliexpress cable at 25$ cad it make life very easy to test. It take about 5 sec to flash and verify.

5. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Active Member

@pr0cess0r Ok so when you have the chip programmed/flashed correctly you get 3.3v at pin 1. If it's NOT programmed/flashed correctly you get 2.2v? So you think that is my issue? It is not flashed/programmed correctly? I used the LCSOFT board from happy_bunny site, and also have the XILINX programmer. Do you have a URL link for the $25 cable from aliexpress you used? And do you have any steps on how to flash it? Thanks again for your help!

6. pr0cess0r

The cale is a DLC9LP cable. Using Impact 14 its simple i click Boundary Scan it detect my xilinx chip and i add min flash device select my files and click program. I will try to do a video.

7. pr0cess0r

8. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Active Member

@pr0cess0r thanks for the video!! Just a couple questions:

1: did you have JP1 bridged or open for this?
    2: did you power the shuriken video board with GameCube or 3.3v power supply without GameCube?
    3: this was programmed with JTAG method?

For the Xilinx Cable you have, this is the one I have:

[​IMG]
    Thank you.

9. pr0cess0r

no jumper since you are using jtag and i used the gc for 3.3V.

Tonight i must try my other television just in case.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  10. Unseen

Unseen Spirited Member

It's not that simple - to generate a video signal, you need a suitable clock to generate the timing and there is none on the Shuriken board by itself. It would be possible by powering the board from the Gamecube and using its clock signal though.

11. pr0cess0r

I worked alot on this project and i think the fpga is dead. I will build a new one with Cirtus QSB but i wonder how hard it is to solder the micro hdmi?

12. Dr.Wily

Dr.Wily Peppy Member

There is a way to make a simple adapter who plugs on Gamecube digital port ?

13. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Active Member

@Dr.Wily No internal only due to it being proprietary. Badassconsoles will eventually have an adapter but that won't be coming for awhile.

@pr0cess0r Thanks for all the info and video appreciate it! Going to be trying that sometime today or tomorrow will keep you updated!

14. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Active Member

@pr0cess0r Hello I tried to Flash the Shuriken Video Board today by following your video, but it said Program Failed in Red :( I followed every step you did, and when I hit program, it fails. It said SPI Device not found. JP1 Not Bridged. Xilinx Programming Cable is DLC9G. Files freshly downloaded from GitHub GC Video 2.3. Here is my log:

Now I am almost certain it is not a hardware issue on the board because the LCSOFT happy_bunny method recognizes the M25P40 chip. I am thinking it might actually be IMPACT 14.7. I see you are on 14.5, and you programmed yours successfully. I saw this link on the Xilinx Forums talking about SPI Flash Fail with 14.7, but 14.1 it was ok:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Configuration/iMPACT-14-7-SPI-flash-FAIL-iMPACT-14-1-OK/td-p/

I think I am going to install 14.5 to test that out and go from there. Any thoughts?

15. pr0cess0r

if you just want to test you can load directly to the fpga and it will run the code until its rebooted. so if you have a tv near the computer you can test this

16. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Active Member

@pr0cess0r how do you do that? What steps do I have to do to test? Thanks.

17. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Active Member

@pr0cess0r hello so I programmed the FPGA and that was successful, just no SPI Flash it fails. For some reason it's not recognized. I don't think it's my cable because it programmed the FPGA. While connected to the programmer, Gc powered on, I get 3.4v (which is a good sign!). But that's only because it's connected. Since the SPI Flash isn't programmed it goes back to 2.2v once I shut off and turn back on the GameCube. Does anyone know why my SPI flash isn't recognized? Thanks.

18. pr0cess0r

when you add the spi flash are you sure you selected the correct one? Also look at the diagram and make sure there is continuity from spi chip to the fpga leg. its also possible that you killed the chip.

19. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Active Member

@pr0cess0r which continuity do I check? I select M25P40, I believe that is the correct flash chip. How would I know I killed the chip? I don't think it's dead as LCSOFT method must of recognized the chip from my previous post in command window.

20. pr0cess0r

you would have to check every pin that go from flash chip to fpga chip. dis you power the board with GC 3.3v when doing jtag?

if you try to ud the chip or eraee it in impact. if it all fail there is hardware problem. the chip or soldering or board.