gcvideo - Open source GameCube component cable solution

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by darcagn, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Unseen

Unseen Spirited Member

Because I forgot to update the constraints files for the Shuriken when I updated the audio subsystem from a 128fs base clock to a 384fs base clock. Fortunately it's unlikely to cause any issues, this constraint is only needed because the synthesis tools would otherwise try to optimize the entire audio subsystem for 162MHz, which tends to fail.

2. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

Thanks for the info. So since I compiled the wii version I need to use the "2" as the denominator?

I'm going to clarify....I forked your gcvideo git hub

here are the changes:

https://github.com/ikorb/gcvideo/compare/master...citrus3000psi:master

If you want to check over my changes that would be great. But I will be giving this a run on hardware hopefully in the next week.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  3. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

Does the HDMI mod on the Wii fix the awful chroma shifting regular component in 480p has?
    A clean, sharp output would be amazing :)

4. Unseen

Unseen Spirited Member

Actually it always needs to be 2 now, even when built for the Cube. The current sources on Github fix that problem.

There is a chroma shift on the regular component output? I never noticed that.

5. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

Yeah it's super weird though as it varies greatly from game to game. My Lumagen VisionPro HDP scaler has the option to shift red and blue individually and the correct values needed for properly aligned colors are not the same for each title.

I've used the original Nintendo cables, and I made a combined RGB/Component breakout switch box myself, and there is no difference in video quality on either of these. Although component 480p looks like crap on the Wii, 240p over RGB looks absolutely fantastic, which really took me by surprise :)

Artemio (the 240p Test Suite guy) had some theory on this issue on shmups forum. I can't remember the details but I seem to remember him talking about the components used on the output were poorly chosen for 480p. Which is why I'm hopeful that this will eliminate the problem completely.

But hell... I should probably just order the parts and try it out myself :)

Can this be programmed with something like a Xilinx USB Platform Cable? I see "Xilinx programmer" mentioned, but I'm not entirely sure if this would do.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  6. Unseen

Unseen Spirited Member

Yes, that should work. At least a cheap clone of it works fine for me.

Bearking likes this.
  7. pr0cess0r

pr0cess0r Spirited Member

I ordered one of those cheap clone cable wil try it soon!

8. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

Thank you. I'll wait for a PCB that will enable a cleaner install though :)

9. Pa0l0ne

Pa0l0ne Member

This is my final setup...as clean as possible with a Pluto Board.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. pr0cess0r

Hello, here is an update to my shuriken video V3 buils. I received my xilinx cable and im able to program the m25p40 via jtag or load the bit stream to the FPGA.

When my GC is off my tv detect no cable when its on it detect cable but no signal.

I want to check if the done pin go high but im not sure how.
    I get 3.3V from ground to R2.
    Thank you for your help.

11. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Active Member

Hey guys I have been away for awhile in trying to make a successful, working Shuriken V3 board. I made another board and same result... 2.2v on PIN 1. What am I doing wrong I don't understand?

1. I double checked the components used, brand new from Digikey, stenciled the board with solder paste,
    2. Reflowed the board with my reflow oven. Physically everything looks good.
    3. Used my magnifier, did not see any bridging.
    4. Programmed the board by powering it 3.3v and GND, LCSOFT method. Programmed and verified as stated in the command prompt window.
    5. Connected the board to the gamecube. When I power on the GC and plug in HDMI, it shows its detected on my TV, but no signal.
    6. Pin 1 reads 2.2v and I do not know why.
    7. I tested for 5v from the 12v to 5v reg, as well as the 1.2v reg. Both are fine.

Could it be the actual PCB board itself is messed up? This is my 2nd board and same result...2.2v. Should I program the Shuriken video board with it connected to the gamecube? (and have Pin 1 disconnected I believe).

If anyone can help me out I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks!

12. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Active Member

Bump: anyone?

13. citrus3000psi

Not sure why it's not working for you. I program mine not connected to the cube. I actually just solder the main ic and flash first, then I program. Maybe @happy_bunny has an idea

14. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Active Member

@citrus3000psi Alright that is good to know you do not need it hooked up the GC to program. I always used a 3.3v GND power supply because it was easier. The only thing I am thinking at this point is maybe its the physical PCB board itself? Maybe something went wrong manufacture wise? Or maybe the programming? This is the latest pic I had when I programmed this board:

[​IMG]

The bin used was the one @happy_bunny sent me (also I attached to this post). It is the X3S200a.bin, from the command he used to get it in IMPACT:

promgen -spi -p bin -o spi_flash.bin -s 512 -u 0 toplevel_p2xh.bit

Maybe I should try that with the latest file from github?

I just find it so weird that this my 2nd one built (better than last time because I used a reflow oven) and I get the same result... 2.2v on PIN 1. Just to triple check this is my parts list, maybe I am overlooking something:

C1: 0.10µF capacitor
    C3: 0.10µF capacitor
    C4: 0.10µF capacitor
    C5: 0.10µF capacitor
    C6: 0.10µF capacitor
    C7: 10µF capaictor
    C8: 0.10µF capacitor
    CONN2: HDMI Connector
    R2: 330 ohm resistor
    R3: 4.7k ohm resistor
    R4: 4.7k ohm resistor
    R5: 10k ohm resistor
    R6: 10k ohm resistor
    R7: 180 ohm resistor
    U1: XC3S200a FPGA
    U2: M25P40 IC Flash Chip
    U3: 5V Regulator
    U4: 1.2V Regulator

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

15. citrus3000psi

I think there are a couple resistors that can easily be flipped. Can you provide pics of your board

16. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Active Member

@citrus3000psi what exactly do you mean flipped? In regards to polarity? As far as I know polarity doesn't matter except for tantalum capacitors, in which the line on the cap means +. Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks.

17. citrus3000psi

I'm taking about r2 and r3. Some people have they turned 90 degrees. But yours are correct.

18. zeldaxpro

zeldaxpro Active Member

@citrus3000psi Alright yeah I know another member on here had that issue and he was getting 2.2v.... But I don't think that was related. So I can either think of 2 things: PCB manufacture or programming. Unless anyone can think of something else.

19. pr0cess0r

i will check mine for voltage at done pon and pin 1. I have the same problem of black screen. I programed the bit file to the fpga and mcs to spi rrom same result. it program with no error but it dont work.

would it be possible the have a hdmu test software for the fpga. just provide power and connectbhdmi it would show a pattern and let me know that hdmi port is working.

maybe it would be a good idea.

20. pr0cess0r

maybe one one of those code can be adapted to the shuriken v3 to test the hdmi side.