gcvideo - Open source GameCube component cable solution

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by darcagn, Aug 31, 2014.

1. darcagn

darcagn Site Supporter 2013, Site Supporter 2014

Saw this posted on Shmups earlier today. It's an open source replacement for the custom chip used in the GameCube component and D-terminal cables.

Anyone here fancy making and/or selling some?

2. Marmotta

Marmotta Dauntless Member

I'm very interested in these. Unfortunately, the ICs he's chosen are far too small to consider hand soldering a whole bunch of these for resale (imo), but it may be worth it after a PCB redesign. Or they could be sent as is to be done by a PCB manufacturing and assembly house - something I might consider, as I've got a bit of cash knocking about atm which I wouldn't mind putting into something like this.

I haven't had a proper look at his github, but has he mentioned any VGA tests yet? It was a simple modification with the original cable - does the same apply with this mod?

3. billcosbymon

billcosbymon Guru Meditation Error

I would assume so since component and VGA are both analogue signals.

4. TheRealPhoenix

TheRealPhoenix Spoken Language: French & English

Well, I would like to give a shoot, but except the PDF file I'm not able to open any schematics into Eagle. :/

Edit: downloading Kicad, I'll try to get something.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  5. tehgazza

tehgazza Rising Member

I wonder how much of the circuitry to the Digital connector is still there in a DOL101? Like maybe as traces or components that could be soldered to!!!

6. Unseen

Unseen Spirited Member

If you need a certain amount of reconfigurable logic in a chip, your options are basically only 0.5mm TQFP (various CPLDs and small FPGAs) or BGA. I don't have the equipment to solder BGA at home, so TQFP was the remaining choice. It's ok to solder in small quantities (although maybe not on the footprints I used), for larger numbers I'd look into reflow-at-home (i.e. modified toaster oven like ikari used for sd2snes or vapor phase soldering using Galden) or an assembly house.

My guess is that all the necessary signals are still present at the SD video encoder chip. Locating a point to signal the presence of a component video cable to unlock 480p mode may be harder, but at least you could use the board to get RGB and component 480i output from an US cube that is limited to S-Video otherwise.

As for VGA: The board has a jumper to switch the output between Component (YPrPb with sync on Y) and RGB (no sync) and there is a header where H/V/Composite sync signals are always present. If you use H+V syncs from that header and set the output to RGB, you basically have a VGA signal.

7. Helder

Helder Site Supporter 2014,2015

I'm interested in attempting this and will likely be doing another collaboration with BuffaloWing, he's working on a new socket he's designing specifically for this project.

8. TheRealPhoenix

TheRealPhoenix Spoken Language: French & English

Ok so I can't import from Kicad to Eagle, and I have to design the chips into Eagle since they don't exist (and I can't find the libs on the net). :D
    I'll maybe took a look later, since I don't want to learn Kicad now and adding parts into Eagle is a real pain.

9. Helder

Just copy the foot prints of any 100TQFP device (FPGA) and the 48TQFP (DAC), you can use thew schematic parts as a base for your parts or use these libraries to have just about it all done for you except some changes you might need.

ftp://ftp.cadsoft.de/eagle/userfiles/libraries/lattice_ispmach4000ze.lbr

Anyone able to open up the PCB file in kicad without some Parse_Error?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  10. Unseen

Unseen Spirited Member

Try a newer version - I designed the board using a bleeding-edge checkout of KiCAD because I wanted to try the new Push&Shove router.

11. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Yeah, that was a recent thing. You used to be able to open files generated with the source built kicad on the stable version. But recently it stopped being backwards compatible.

12. Helder

I have the 4022 and on the official site that is the one they have for download, could either of you post a link to any newer version. thanks.

13. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

14. Helder

Thanks but I'm getting a few errors and mainly this one that keep stopping me from progressing:

ERROR Updating source code!
    ERROR Bazaar said: bzr: ERROR: No WorkingTree exists for "file:///C:/kicad-winbuilder-3.4/src/kicad/.bzr/checkout/".

Anyway you can post a precompiled version as I'm not getting anywhere fast.

15. beharius

beharius Resolute Member

I already took permission and sent it to the pcb factory I'm workiing in China for quotation.

16. Riki

Riki Peppy Member

17. Unseen

Unseen Spirited Member

18. Helder

19. Unseen

Unseen Spirited Member

Second reply attempt, the first one seems to be lost somewhere...

Yes, the code could be adapted. However the board you linked to does not have any video output, so you need to connect a DAC to it.

You may need to adapt the top level module for the specific board you use, but the core modules have been used on Xilinx Spartan 3E and 6, Altera Cyclone IV and Lattice MachXO2 with minor to no changes.

You could also use the slightly more expensive version with industrial instead of commercial temperature range, 220-1493-ND. Another option is to use the XO2-1200HC in the same TQFP100 package, it's pin-compatible but the code would need to run through the synthesis tool again (should need no changes except the FPGA model).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2016
  20. beharius

beharius Resolute Member

We're busy with the current projects and don't have enough time for an extra project so I want them to assemble the PCB completely, they will supply the parts also. I am waiting for the price. :) if it's feasible we will work on that...

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014