GC to GC BBA USA-UK

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by pauljh, Jul 21, 2016.

1. pauljh

pauljh Member

Hi All,
    I've eventually got two gamecubes, both unchipped, one UK and one USA. I've got broadband adaptors in both but cannot for the life of me get Mario Kart to link up, I've removed my router and tried a crossover cable also to no avail, Both GC's get to the "Looking for gamecube systems" and both time out after the 150 second wait.
    When both are connected to my hub link light lights up so I "know" the broadband adaptors are "probably" good. I set the UK one to 60Hz as this can cause a problem if both are at different Hz. Is there any PC software I can install to see which one is "failing". Can I identify the traffic with WireShark on a PC, if so how do I identify it? How do GC's know another IP is a gamecube?

Any help much appreciated!

2. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

I don't know. Nintendo doesn't seem to either, the Mario Kart USA instruction booklet makes no mention at all whether games or systems of different regions are compatible.

3. rso

rso °

Uh, is cross-region play even supposed work? I honestly don't know, but I would expect there's other region-specific adaptions besides the default refresh rate (resolution, for example) that might have a hand in making things not work, so it might just have been disabled outright. You don't usually get people from different continents into the same room to set up a LAN...
    I would recommend getting a third copy of MK plus a Freeloader for booting it and trying again with matching discs.

That being said, if you're indeed using a hub, you can see both GC's traffic (in fact, all traffic going through the hub) already. If you can't, you have a switch - go get yourself a hub. (There's also switches that can mirror traffic to a special port for e.g. intrusion detection, this would work for you but they're friggin expensive, just wanted to have mentioned them. Most unmanaged (consumer) switches can't do this.)

4. pauljh

pauljh Member

Hi All,
    I saw somewhere (or dreamed it?) that someone did once connect a USA to a UK GC, both are at 60Hz (I've tried progressive and non progressive on the USA), The both get IP's from my DHCP so both are talking to "some" degree. Freeloaders seam to be like hen's teeth, scrap that they are as common as muck!. I was hoping I could maybe modify the traffic in real time (if there is a region lock) but can't find ANY info about the packets (or am looking in the wrong place). I can't find much mention of the packets on the dolphin wiki either..!

5. rso

rso °

You're right, they are rare these days... Well, an Action Replay/Gameshark would work too. Or get a modchip and be done with it.
    I would forget about your traffic idea, unless your time is utterly worthless it makes a lot more sense to simply invest in the correct gear instead.

6. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Any way of loading homebrew is worth a try. Then you could put the matching region game on an SD Gecko, to see if ISOs can communicate with original discs.