GBA Largest Cart -Chip Information Required!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Game Development' started by kyo86sg, Jun 21, 2013.

1. kyo86sg

kyo86sg Intrepid Member

Hey peeps,

I just need some assistant on the technical information on the chips used on this GBA cart, this is one of GBA carts which was release quite late of the GBA era (and also for a limited run) which features 2 FULL movies on a single cart (Shrek and Sharktale).

And more importantly it (rom) has never been dumped due to this size of the file, due I decided to purchase one and tried to get some details out from the bare chip.

The 2Chips details as follows

-------------------------------
    11270-01
    AGB-MSTE-5

--------------------------------
    11246-01-99

[​IMG]

As you can see it is using Matrix Memory (By Matrix Semiconductor which was later sold to Sandisk 2005), and there were reports on nintendo investment by Cnet stated below.
    "The game giant invested $15 million in Matrix in early 2003, stating that the memory format supported the requirements of its Game Boy Advance device and that it hoped to use the chips in the future."

Based on the imprinted at the top, we can see that it is using 3-D Memory which during that time (1999-2003) was first revolutionary. I tried digging out information on this matter and this is what i got.

"Matrix’s 3D chip technology is something entirely different from NAND. It is not a variation of floating gate or charge trapping, but something referred to as antifuse. Instead of storing electrical charges, the chip has gazillions of microscopic fuses. When info is read to the chip, fuses are either blown or left alone, storing the info permanently (up to 100 years.)

What makes the Matrix technology particularly exciting is that it is truly three dimensional. It has multiple layers of memory arrays within the chip itself. In other words, active circuitry is not confined to the silicon surface. It extends vertically as well. More memory can be accommodated in the the same footprint. Same principle as in real estate: when land prices get really high, build upwards to maximize usable space"

"the Matrix team thought there was a big market for one-time programmable chips. CDs were reigning supreme those days and were used for storing music, movies, and everything else. The Matrix team thought a cheap high density non-volatile memory chip could make a big dent in this market."

"In Matrix's chips, data gets recorded when a microscopic fuse between two wires blows. (See Photo below)Hence, the data can't be erased or recorded over, a significant disadvantage."

Photo 2 :The white bars at the corner of a Matrix memory chip are wires, while the dots are wire ends. Where the wires cross, an electrical charge can blow the fuse.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  2. leetwolf

leetwolf Peppy Member

Man...I can't imagine watching a movie on the GBA screen...too small.

3. kyo86sg

kyo86sg Intrepid Member

I tried watching on the GBA last night, poor framerates but watchable.....
    I am actually guessing that this cart is 512MB (Megabytes not Megabits) since its contains 2 full movies, thus my guess is 256MB for those Single movie carts.

4. splith

splith Resolute Member

Chances are the data is read from the memory chip into the other chip and the movie/sound data is put out to the GBA without the GBA knowing anything about the memory (Like how EZ FLASH IV allows you to go through GB's of things when the memory interface is 512Mbit max or so?)

5. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag Staff Member

Kids wouldn't care. :p

6. kyo86sg

kyo86sg Intrepid Member

I wonder why no one tried dumping it or Limitation of dumping tools? :(

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  7. splith

splith Resolute Member

Probably because you can't read the memory from the GBA slot and it's all controlled by the other chip, a bit like a SNES co-processor.
    Plus there wouldn't really be any point, 512MB for 2 bad quality films that absolutely no repo. hardware in the world supports, and you can get other rips off the net in high quality.