Gaming while Clinically depressed- an account

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by GodofHardcore, Oct 11, 2018 at 5:48 PM.

1. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

I don't mean feeling sad about something. I mean depression so bad it messes with your sensory input and memory your perception of time is completely messed up. Basically FULL on Clinical depression.

Today so far has been the first normal day I've had since Late August where everything I did just fit together to form a total picture of what a day is. So I'm pretty sure I'm either over it or almost over it.
    I've had to deal with a clueless therapist who looked like Ursula from the Little Mermaid, I was put on Lexapro which I'm pretty sure almost killed me. That and all the Crap I was self medicating with. You ever see Totoro on Melatonin? I have it was not a pleasant experience.

Anyways the effect it had on me gaming was an odd one.

I got a Mega Everdrive X7 thinking it would knock me out of this...it didn't I was a bit over whelmed by all the games presented to me and nothing I was playing really broke through.

Dragon Ball Fighter Z was something I could play but I wasn't getting the most out of it, The damage done to my attention span didn't make getting how it played down all that well, Most fights seemed to be shorter than they really were.

Very early on in depression I got Guardian Heroes, I couldn't even play it. (and it came with the spine card taped to the case, I'd have raised more hell about that in my right mind)

Axelay I always sucked at, while depressed, I sucked at it even more.

Vampire Savior on Saturn, I actually learned a few things about how the game played I never knew but a session felt like 5 seconds and I beat the game twice with Morrigan and BB Hood.

Mega Man 11 over loaded my senses and I could not enjoy it at all, the Demo hit pretty early in my depressed state so I had gotten familiar with Block Man's stage, but Going through it was nearly impossible. I played it on the 2nd difficulty and found it way too easy. So I blasted through it in an afternoon which again seemed like a much shorter time span. I restarted on Normal, beat Block Man Sunday morning and in my Lexapro haze, I forgot to save so when I picked it back up thinking Great I NEVER have to do Block man again (which I will as I will play the hell out of this game) I just beat Block man about an hour ago (while typing this) I'm playing it mostly in Handheld mode on Swtich since I kicked myself out of my apartment.

Splatoon 2 Splatfest was HARD to get through I maxed out my rank and leveled up a few times, but last Tuesday I reached level 34 and felt nothing. I find it impossible to be sad playing Splatoon but just playing the game was very difficult as I couldn't focus and with my altered perception of time 3 minutes either felt longer or shorter while experiencing it. I did gain a love for Splatzones though.

And finally the kicker. Depression made me decent at Donkey Kong ALL my highest scores ever were while I was depressed, My current high Score is 35,100. I hope to get up to around 100k at some point. I don't know if my skills will transfer over to a normalish state.

I thought somebody might find this interesting. I haven't even touched Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise yet. I want to be 1000% when I play that. While depressed I already felt like my head was going to explode and that I was Already dead.

pato, Taijigamer2 and arnoldlayne like this.
  2. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Now there's a new field for academics - gaming therapy.

I'm guessing the games work because they provide a distraction from the depression, so on that count I'd recommend a decent RPG, something that is much more immersive than the games you've mentioned above (in terms of gaming time, story, etc...)

Chin up!

3. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

I don't really think I can say anything to help you, but I wish I could.

Godspeed.

Fuck depression.

GodofHardcore likes this.
  4. GodofHardcore

There are studies that show Tetris helps A LOT, It helped me and I forgot to mention it earlier.

I am starting to get better, My memory is improving, the days are starting to flow better
    and blur together a bit more. My Mood has stablized. I'm not 100% and there are things I'm doing to fix my brain's perception of time so I can, ya know enjoy things more. It's a process but at least I'm not a sobbing mess anymore. Thing is there is literally no reason why I should be depressed, we think something went Boom but we're not sure what.

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  5. Ergot_Cholera

Ergot_Cholera Flaccid Member

I have been taking anti depressants for 12 years.
    Playing games sometimes helps, other times I just can't bring myself to do it.

6. GodofHardcore

I'm not sure they even work. I'm steadily getting better and getting interested in things again. I've been sleeping very well so much so I don't want to get up in the morning.

Signs started to show up something was off when I'd get home stare at the corner of my TV and wonder if I even went anywhere at all, a few days later I woke up having a full on Panic attack, I tend to get those for no reason. Labor day weekend flew by and that Tuesday was when I broke down, the next day I was ok but tet day after that my perception of reality was warped and I wasn't really the same after that. About 4 days later I had to go to urgent care but they just gave me Clazonapam....the side effects of which... Depression. They refer me to counseling I call but don't get paired with who I was referred to, instead I get stuck with this horrible horrible woman who looks exactly like Ursula from the Little Mermaid. Desperate to find a doctor my dad makes me an appointment with his PA, in the meantime I put myself on melatonin but had no idea what dose to take so that fucked up hardcore. I see the PA and with no exam get put on Lexapro. I'm also having problems with my insurance so getting the care I need isn't easy, still waiting on my new cards. Anyway Saturday comes and I Spend it watching Wrestling then Sunday came and I swear the Lexapro almost killed me. I was so scared for my well being I spent the night with my dad. Monday I moved in with my dad for the time being and iveI been getting better I stopped talking EVERYTHING. I'm not 100% yet but Memory is better and my days feel more coherent. I'm staying with my dad probably until Halloween before I head back.

I probably left a ton out, like how feelings felt amplified, how I couldn't focus, how my perception of time was completely wreaked. OH and uh....that fact that I was insanely horny the entire time. This all hit at a really bad time too as I'm supposed to take a placement test so I know what classes to take before I finally can get a degree. In the shape I'm in I can't take it. As I get better I'm starting to get interests back, and a few new ones, I've been watching a crap ton of cooking shows this week for example.

Talking about it doesn't exactly help but For all the "I struggle with depression" posts on Social media you see, nobody really ever says what that entails. So I want to document it so people do know.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 9:30 AM
  7. dark

dark Dauntless Member

GodofHardcore, sorry to hear about your depression. It's certainly not the same situation, but I have been very aware of my own experience with depression and gaming. Basically, gaming has helped reduce depression in my life, but has also contributed to feelings of depression. Some memories of my own experiences are below.

I had kicked video games to the side shortly after going to college, just kinda felt like I outgrew them. Several years after college in my mid 20s I was dealing with depression and malaise in connection with not having an income, struggling to find a job, not being in a relationship, etc. I was in a new part of the country without friends and my efforts to make new friends hadn't really panned out much at the time. My days were very dull, it felt like nothing significant was happening in my life, and that was probably a key contributor for my depression.

Somehow I was browsing ebay around this time and noticed that the various import video games that I had always thought as unobtainable for my nostalgic favorite system, the dreamcast, were now readily available and in many cases extremely affordable compared to what they went for in the good old days circa 2001/2002. Not only that, but the sega sports dreamcast I always wanted could be bought for like $20 on ebay at the time. So basically I started buying old video games that I had always wanted back in the day. Due to my cash flow situation, I deliberately rationed buying this stuff so I would buy maybe 1 $15 import game every 3-4 weeks. I began playing the games, which was itself nostalgic and fun and was a good evening's break from what I would otherwise be doing which was probably reflecting on how crummy and boring my life seemed at the time, so it was a positive distraction. Further, rationing out the game buying over a long period of time gave me something to look forward to. Perhaps even more than playing the games, knowing I had a present for myself coming in the mail that I was interested in and knew I would have some fun with elevated my mood and helped with my depression. Rationing the game buying also let me focus on that one new game I had bought for the next 3 or so weeks until the next new one came in, so I was playing them in a deeper manner rather than just collecting a dozen games and flipping around for 15 minutes between each game at a surface level.

The flip side to this is that after several years, my life becoming better, and having an income, I basically became a more normal game collector. Eventually I knew I had collected several thousand dollars worth of games and hardware. While I played everything I bought, at a certain point you have so much on the shelf amongst all the consoles that you're not playing most of it. It started feeling like my collection was a waste since over the years it started to just be something to look at on the shelf rather than play. It got to be an emotional burden to look at it, I felt like it was a wasteful habit/addiction and the money that went into it could have been better spent on something else. I packed it all up into cardboard boxes and put those into a closet. Packing it away and taking a break from it helped my depression at that time.

Nowadays I've become very picky about what games I buy, I might not buy any new games for the collection for several months (especially since I have already amassed most of the stuff I really wanted to play over the last few years). I also did some moderate downsizing, and sold some big ticket items that although I thought they were cool, I just simply never used and felt like I had gotten the most I ever would out of (such as my atari jaguar and jaguar cd unit and my 3DO). Downsizing some of these expensive and never used items helped me justify keeping much of the remaining components of my collection, and made it feel like it wasn't as big of a waste since I didn't have as much money tied up into the games and hardware. This further helped my feeling of depression regarding my collection.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 9:12 PM
    -=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  8. GodofHardcore

That is very different from what I experienced/am going through but I can relate over the summer I amassed a metric shitton of games, I hooked up consoles I haven't played in years, I was planning on getting a PC to put Launchbox on, buy another OG Xbox and get a more recent 360, I was even stongly considering an AES, but once I got hit with my Depression none of that mattered. Time was moving too fast for me to enjoy anything while that sensation is gone now the Psychological damage is going to need to be addressed. I have zero concept of Kyros time right now.

I picked up a book on Time Management tonight it might help me get a grip on things. We're also getting one of those Stair climber exercise thingies. Working out early in the morning might help make my days more coherent again.

9. Nully

Nully Enthusiastic Member

I think depression and anxiety is a natural response to an unwanted situation. Your brain is telling you that what you're doing right now is not what you actually want to do, but you're forcing yourself to stay in that situation. Granted I didn't read all your posts, but you should re-evaluate your life and ask yourself what you really want out of life and try to find a way to pursue that goal or else you'll always live in eternal depression and uncomfortably. Speaking as someone who has always dealt with high levels of anxiety and depression, I'm the type of person who constantly runs from these feelings; whether it be moving to a new place, quitting jobs constantly or at some points, self-medicating with drugs and alcohol. I don't think trying to force yourself into enjoying your time by means of escapism in the form of video games is going to help you much. This is a core problem that needs to be sorted from the inside. I can't say that medication helps as it's done nothing for me in the past and just gave me a new slew of side-effects that made life even worse. I hope you can find peace, but your method of action is probably not what's going to do it.

10. GodofHardcore

It really depends there's a difference between being sad an Anxious and having Clinical depression and Anxiety for absolutely no reason at all.

I am prone to the latter. I do have Anxiety over certain things but I'm also prone to panic attacks for no reason. I've been down int he dumps, but I've never felt NUMB like felt nothing a few weeks ago I was completely numb, it might have been something I did to my self with Melatonin or it could have been my depression. I don't know how much of this I did to myself trying to fix the initial episode.

11. pato

pato Resolute Member

Man that sucks, while I don't have depression, I'm quite off the tracks of what i've used in time spent playing, but recently i've been playing more with the OG xbox, I have a PS4 since months later after the launch and barely played on it (its been a year or more), even bought Cowadoody IW for the COD 4 bonus (was cheaper than on PC) and yet I still have to finish Far Cry Instincts Evolution.

I think it could be the meds, they have a huge impact and inappropriate applications/doses will turn that up to eleven, and jugding by the games you played, you are not having any pleasure but ""gained"" a sense of details to make 'em through easier, have you tried completely new games or ones you haven't played for years?

12. GodofHardcore

I'm going to play a long ass RPG on my Switch and take it to places I don't normally game. Today has been the most normal I've been. (Got Pissed off that Western Sony is back to their old tricks and censoring games) This afternoon I found that Splatoon got the update I thought was coming next week or the week after. So I played some Splatoon today while watching BBQ Pitmasters and Yelling at Playstation fanboys on social media.

I think I'm getting back to normal.

For the record I have about 105 hours logged in Splatoon 2.

pato likes this.
  13. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

I'm glad to hear that. It might take time, but it'll get better.

14. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Held off on this mainly because I've been busy. I wont bring extremes into this or high detail about my life but this should for the most part be seen as a suggestion to try some stuff more than an solution.

I've more or less found my solution to be picking up something (in my case 2 hobbies) that I seem to enjoy and rolling with it until there's literally nothing left I can do with them. I've hopped hobbies once or twice, both lasting me a good number of years. Might not be as simple for others but in my case it led me to a very strange path where I learned enough to branch onto some other thing.
    I dont play new games, mainly for my own distaste in how the industry is handling itself. That more or less leaves me with playing older games or picking up games in that era to play and seeing where it'll take me next. I'm far more interested to learn what else there is and that seems to keep me going.
    In my specific case I also cant travel for a while for my small mishap with capcom but that doesn't stop me from enjoying what's local to me. I pop into my local gamestop or mom and pop shop and see what's up with new and old stuff they got.
    Pursue what you like, see where it leads you because it's not a dead unless you make it one.

I used to take medication, but I hated that so I stopped and went cold turkey (please dont do this, it's a very bad idea). It took a while but I did manage to work myself into a spot where I didn't need meds or therapy (i even just recently no longer need to see my psychiatrist after 10 years) so I can say that while it may take a while and some effort you can still get to a pretty okay spot.
    I found talking helps. Talk about what I still like, talk about what I hate. Eventually you'll find like minded people and share some laughs and whatnot.
    Be sure to go outside here and there. I dont do that regularly and it's not doin me any favors.

GodofHardcore likes this.
  15. GodofHardcore

I really appreciate all the input you guys are giving me. It's not like I was seeking advice when I started this thread. Just wanted to share what I was going through because what happens is something nobody talks about.

I posted this same thread on Racketboy nobody answered but the site owner himself e-mailed me with a bunch of Rom Links (I mentioned I need some Japanese PS1 games and had no where to find them short of BUYING a Japanese PS1)

Curious about this Small Mishap with Capcom. I do love me some Capcom games.

-=FamilyGuy=- and pato like this.