Games you start but never finish

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by CrAzY, Jul 10, 2015.

1. stevo9389

stevo9389 Plays It Loud

SaGA Frontier. Not even the Game Shark codes could motivate me enough to power through one ending let alone all of them. For nearly 20 years this game has sat on my shelf taunting me.

2. Gree443

Gree443 Super Dog Bobby

Doraemon (SFC). I started the game but it never finished it because of text (that I can't read) where you should to get in school? There's no English translation patch of the game sadly.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  3. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

Final Fantasy Mystic quest. I don't remember if I ever beat it legit. I know I tried my hardest tho. I beat it at least once but I don't know if I did it all, could have used a save file. I remember being so disapointed when I got the boat. Thinking of all the places I was gonna explore. LOL, it just auto moves like the normal world map does. Anyway, every time I restart the game I get about halfway through and then the levels start getting long and hard and I don't finish the dungeons.

4. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Scourge: Outbreak on PS3,
    Due to a hard boss fight combined with some annoying fucking yellow lights of death.

5. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

Wizardry 7; I grew up playing this game and I've always had intentions of beating it all the way. Maybe one day.

6. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

every RPG ever made

sonicsean89 and kennypecheur like this.
  7. doulomb

doulomb Robust Member

This with the singular exception of Chrono Trigger.

Also for me it was MGS3. I'm a huge MGS fan but I played them in such an order that I played 3rd last (this was before MGSV was out).

By the time I got to MGS3, I was such a huge fan and perfectionist that I just had to play the game on European Extreme and do a run where I got all the kerotan/yoshis and capture every single animal.

After starting it 3 or 4 times, I finally was able to keep at it. Funniest part though? I played it on the 3DS version LMAO. This made it even harder than it already was. It literally took me 5 months of stop/start playing but I was able to do it. I did miss 2 yoshis though.

-doulomb

8. SO Remixer

SO Remixer Lovely Sweet Dream

Every GTA ever pretty much. I do whatever it takes to unlock most of the map and then I get way too distracted just free roaming.

jamespoo likes this.
  9. Taemos

Taemos Officer at Arms

Baldur's Gate I and II
    Chrono Trigger - One day... :(
    The Elder Scrolls: Arena - as much as I loved this game as a kid, it aged very poorly and is a total grindfest through repetive dungeons. I doubt I'll ever finish it.
    The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall - not sure I'll ever have the time again to finish this one
    The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind - I'll probably finish it once I have the time and persistence to stick to it. OpenMW has come a really long way, so maybe I'll start another game once OpenMW is ready for prime-time.
    Fallout 3 - I wasn't the biggest fan of 3 from the start, then I played New Vegas and I'm pretty sure that totally ruined 3 for me.
    Fallout: New Vegas - I'm literally at the last boss but I keep dying. Need to level up a bit.
    Megaman X - I could never beat the final boss(es). Maybe the PC port was harder or something.
    X-COM: Enemy Unknown - I may actually finish this one soon. It's a good game but still doesn't hold a candle to the original, which I've beaten numerous times.

The newer Elder Scrolls games are jokes to complete. Oblivion was pretty awful; leveling was broken and the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quest lines were easily the best parts of the game. I enjoyed Skyrim very much but I can understand why people think it's shallow. If I can beat an RPG with little difficulty in under 25 hours, then it's probably too easy/short.

To the person on the previous page who couldn't get past Hong Kong in the original Deus Ex: it gets better, then a little worse. 100% agreed that the opening levels are the worst in the game. Come to think of it, it's kind of like a sandwich; all of the good stuff is in the middle.

That doesn't begin to cover the games I'll never beat, but good enough since I should probably go to sleep.

10. jamespoo

jamespoo Peppy Member

pac man nes

11. Ouja

Ouja Active Member

Ah Baldur's Gate. I actually managed to get to the town of Baldur's Gate the last time I tried to finish it, but then my hdd died... Good bye saves.

12. kennypecheur

kennypecheur Site Supporter 2016

I have started many games that I haven't finished yet. But there is one game that I had to stop playing even if I was really looking to finish it : Borderlands 2 on PSVita. Thanks to unbelievable crashes that can happen all the time, I had to restart and restart many missions. I was so tired of doing every missions twice so I gave up on finishing the game. I should try the cross platform feature to finish the game on PS3.

13. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

Majora's Mask. Friggin water temple boss.
    GTA Vice City - I got to the point where I had, like, three missions on parallel story arcs I just. could. not. pass, and nothing else left to do to advance the game. I remember one being a motorcycle race, and another was some RC-boat-bomb thingy.
    I will have to try these two again at some point.

Bioshock 2 - game just kept crashing at a certain point, even after a Windows reinstall. F-ck that.

And a rather recent one - Far Cry Blood Dragon. It was fun - really fun - up to the point where it forced me into an unskippable stealth tutorial mission which just doesn't work too well in that game. (Not the "get past the dragons" one - the "free the hostage guarded by five guys who will immediately kill him" mission later on.) Pity, really. Would've loved to actually play the freeroaming mode (skipping anything stealthy), but just can't be bothered getting past that sh-tty tutorial obstacle.

kennypecheur likes this.
  14. kennypecheur

Race Missions in games that are not racing games are really really really really a huge pain in the ass. I hate them. If I want to play races, then I buy a racing game (yes gravity rush, batman arkham city and GTA games, I am talking to you !).

I am pretty sure that I haven't finished any non racing game that contain races.

But this is only my opinion haha.

15. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

Nothing wrong with a bit of variety, but generally speaking, if you're gonna make the player do a segment with mechanics he's not necessarily used to, at least don't make it hard as nails. Like the warzone missions at the end of Pilotwings. And I hear Take On Helicopters (civilian flight sim) at one point turns (back) into ArmA (military fps). WTF?

Oh yeah, and here's another one I never finished: Either Tomb Raider Anniversary or Legends (don't remember which), because the end boss could only be killed by doing some special move that I didn't use once at any point before that encounter, and therefore couldn't pull off. At least the game up to that point was fun, I guess I can live without knowing how it ends.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  16. kennypecheur

The difficulty is most of the time due to the fact that the controls are not modified during these game segment. For example, in race missions, racing needs a bit of precision in the controls, that the game which include these missions don't offers.

You are right, variety is great, but these segment should be pretty easy. Fortunately, these missions are useless most of the time, and to use GTA as an example, you most of the time have the possibility to run other missions instead of these different segments.

17. doulomb

doulomb Robust Member

LMAO I literally had this same problem except with the tutorial at the very beginning of the game. It takes WAY too long and is just a slog. YOu cant skip it or do anything. IIRC it takes fucking 10 minutes before you are even allowed to move around freely. Its so incredibly boring and the worst part is you have to finish the whole thing before quitting or you have to start from THE VERY FUCKING START the next time you decide to torture yourself again. I've probably tried to start the game 6 times and each time I quit a little sooner. Last time I started it up and I quit 10 seconds after remembering how awful it is.

Christ.

-doulomb

18. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Shenmue 1 & 2: Started so many times but never seen it through.... I have watched a friend play them through but it's not quite the same thing.

Got 99% on GTA3 on the PS2 - just one side mission to do... praying I 'still' have the save here somewhere!

19. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

Other than Shenmue, same here. I haven't even finished the second one yet.

20. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

I don't think Shenmue is really an RPG. It's F.R.E.E.