GUIDE Games to Softmod that Sweeeeet NTSC-J Japanese Xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by A Toubib, Aug 23, 2014.

1. A Toubib

A Toubib Midnight Xbox Crew

So after much trial and error, I've finally found a winning combination of disks to successfully Soft Mod a Japanese Xbox. So for those of you with really cool Japanese Xboxs looking to turn them region free without opening them, here is your ticket.

Here is the final trial and error list list:

Softmodable Disks:
    MechAssault (Asian Version, Not Japan Version!) Part Number X09-24634 (Front of Disk)
    Splinter Cell (Asian Version, Not Japan Version!) U78-00001 US012A01 (Front of Disk)

Unable to Softmod: (at least in the traditional way)
    MechAssault (USA Version) Does not work, cannot get past region lock
    MechAssault (Japan Version, confirmed by Cryer) Does not work, Freezes save menu
    Splinter Cell (USA Version) Does not work, cannot get past region lock
    Splinter Cell (Japan Version) Does not work, Freezes at save menu

Here are pictures for reference:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Proof:
    Splinter Cell Softmodded Kasumi Chan
    [​IMG]

MechAssault Softmodded Skeleton Edition
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  2. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

On the main softmod menu, what version does the DOACP show up as?

3. A Toubib

Both the Skeleton and Kasumi gave me V1.0 (0a)

4. cez

cez Site Supporter

Thanks for documenting and sharing the results!

5. Dyne

Dyne Member

I can confirm that the Asian version of Mechassault works.

Thanks for making the thread. It will help a lot of people.

6. A Toubib

Is someone able to confirm if the japanese version of Mechassault works/doesn't work? I didn't have one to test.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  7. kyo86sg

kyo86sg Intrepid Member

Just a quick update, it appears that the Asian Platinum Hits of MechAssault and Splinter Cell works well on the softmod exploit.

Inner disc code for MechAssault as follows MS02304J-L0 1D / MS02304J-L1 1A
    Inner disc code for MechAssault Platinum Hits as follows MS02304J-L0 1B / MS02304J-L0 1G

Inner disc code for Splinter Cell as follows US01203J-L0 1A / US01203J-L1 1A
    Inner disc code for Splinter Cell Platinum Hits as follows US01203J-L0 1A / US01203J-L1 1A

*Its interesting to know that the platinum version of splinter cell disc and manual is actually different~ but sharing the same disc code.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Toubib and DSwizzy145 like this.
  8. A Toubib

Great info Kyo86sg! Thanks for trying those games!

9. Cryer

Cryer Newly Registered

I can confirm that japanese version of Mechassault does Not work. Freezes at loading save exploit. Ive tried several copies as there are different versions (ive been at this for a couple years trying to softmod my JPxbox). But this thread really has my hopes up to resume attempting. can anyone point me in the right direction to find an asian version of either of those online? I cant seem to find any for sale.

A Toubib likes this.
  10. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

You need the asian version of MechAssault. I've seen some for sale in Japan sites, you most likely won't find them in the west. @kyo86sg had them also for sale on the forums some time ago, he might still have them.

11. Cryer

Cryer Newly Registered

Thanks HEX1GON. I'll have a go @kyo86sg. I'm In JP and so far I've only been been able to find JP versions. Seems the Asian version is a little hard to find.

12. cez

cez Site Supporter

13. Cryer

Cryer Newly Registered

Thanks cez!

14. cez

cez Site Supporter

15. kyo86sg

kyo86sg Intrepid Member

Just saw this thread and reply from @Cryer.... anyone need any of the above disc let me know. thanks

Cryer likes this.
  16. Noob1012

Noob1012 Member

Wanted to say thanks to OP for listing the discs compatible with the J consoles. I got myself a Kasumi Blue today and wanted to mod it. If anyone has access to a Asian Splinter Cell please direct me to where to get it!

Great guide, interesting forums, looks like I have some exploring to do.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  17. Anderson Pulegio

Anderson Pulegio Newly Registered

I need you help, I'm trying to sofmod my japanese xbox, i'm using a Sony PSP with memory stick 4g(I tryied 32m aswell) it is listed as compatible and it was recognized by the xbox normally, I copied all files using xplorer360 with Mechassault save(asian version like yours), but when I connect to xbox and check the memory unit it showed nothing, no sid installer or save, as if the Xbox had reformatted again, but when I check the memory stick the files are there, can you help me? I live in Japan and I'm trying to find a pendrive that works with xbox, do you know any? I don't know if the problem is the PSP.

18. A Toubib

If the sticks are 4gb and 32gb, they might be too big. I never did the oXbox softmod using a PSP method. I know it's documented somewhere, but I've never verified myself. So I'm not entirely sure how to solve your exact problem. However, if you'd like to try the method I did I used this:

[​IMG]

It's just a controller port with a usb plug in at the end. It's about $5 online. I then used a low memory USB stick. There is a list somewhere online on what USB memory sticks work on oXbox. From what I remember though, oXbox does not like more than 1gb-2gb flash drives, as a matter of fact I used a 512mb one to do these mods. (It accepted nearly all the 256mb and 512 USB sticks I had).

Besides that it seems you have all the steps down, you just have to get the save file on the xbox. You have all the other pieces in place.

19. Anderson Pulegio

Anderson Pulegio Newly Registered

I think my problem is the PSP, I used a 32megas memory stick too and it didn't work aswell, I need to try a USB memory stick with low memory as you mentioned. The problem is to find those low memory USB sticks here in Japan. But anyway thanks for you response.

20. Anton&&

Anton&& Newly Registered

Hi kyo, I need one. Can you ship to Thailand? let me know about the price and other info. I'm not sure how this forum works, but if the admin allows, here is my e-mail: ant-dodger@mail.ru