GAMES NOT AS GOOD AS YOU REMEMBER

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Olschoolgamer, Jan 8, 2017.

1. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Gotta disagree with you on this one. The controls are spot on; it's the camera that's the issue. The camera sometimes just can't handle how open the movement is and how quickly you can do certain things. I play it on a normal basis and I still find it to be the most entertaining game I've ever played.
    This one I agree with. I tried it a few times and it just never stuck with me at all.
    I believe I own two of these. I know 2 and I need to check on the other. Any of them decent? I remember playing very little of one when I was younger.

2. pato

pato Resolute Member

Tomb Raider, I remembered how those tank controls were too damn hard, no wonder why it's been on "games that hasn't aged well" list, and that's why I dropped AoD after half an hour.

Goldeneye 007 - Great game, but the poor framerate makes you wish that Nintendo wasn't an ass and allowed Rare to release the HD Version for Xbox Live and Wii (Microsoft agreed to have a release on it).

This was actually a known issue back a the launch, appearently the japanese version (which was the original release) didn't even have a analog sensibility option.

DeChief likes this.
  3. ktfdemo111

ktfdemo111 Nintendo Demo and Collect

Pokemon Ranger

4. RetroSwim

RetroSwim <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Hmm

Halloween Harry / Alien Carnage stands out. I remember getting a real kick out of this game as a youngun, but trying to play it now is so frustrating I gave up.

The physics are slow and inhibiting, enemy placement is trollish, and many levels require you to find totally unmarked hidden passages and switches. It's just plain frustrating.

The artwork is great, the music is awesome, but it's just an awful video game otherwise.

5. Zerovii

Zerovii Newly Registered

R&C1 didn't have strafing and forced you to using weapons that either did decent splash or had auto-tracking like the tesla claw. The enemies tore through your health within a handful of hits with nearly no health pickups. The camera was way too close to ratchet at times as well due to the 4:3 resolution. Attempts to replaying R&C1 were indeed awful.
    I don't recall much issue with R&C2/3 though, but I can understand why R&C1 would leave someone with nothing but hatred towards the franchise.

To add to the topic and to agree with you, a good deal of isometric action/adventure/platformers from around the SNES to GBA era. Maybe I just don't understand perspective but trying to play things like the spyro GBA games, or Landstalker on genesis just doesn't work for me anymore. Felt impossible to actually attack things without taking a hit or judging gaps or similar issues. I'll even admit that despite how much I enjoy the game SMRPG's platforming segments can be a pain due to this as well.

6. mettleramiel

mettleramiel Robust Member

Nights definatly is an aquired taste and with no tutorial at all, you really have to want it to get it. I hated it at first and did not understand all the praise it got, but I stuck with it and fell in love.

I remember loving my Saturn, but so many games I cherished do not hold up well. Clockwork Knight was just awful. Astal used to look gorgeous, not so much today and those cut scenes are just one still picture. Sonic 3d Blast was fun as a jid, now it's just tedious. Sonic R (ok, this was a bad game, but I used to love it!) Bug! and Bug Too were never great, but now they are abysmal. D was super scary, today it's hilariously cheap looking.

And I hate to say this, but Panzer Dragoon Saga is really low on content and even lower on strategy. I remember being amazed with this game at the time, but going back to it I realize that you only really had two attacks the whole game. There was never any planning needed to beat any enemy. Panzer Dragoon 1 and 2 still hold up in my books, though.

7. mettleramiel

mettleramiel Robust Member

[QUOTE="I'll even admit that despite how much I enjoy the game SMRPG's platforming segments can be a pain due to this as well.[/QUOTE]

No, you are so right. A great game, but the platforming was always bad. We ignored it back then because back then, we wanted everything to be turned into an RPG.

8. Zandengoff

Zandengoff Rising Member

I find now that as I get older I like games that I can just kick back and unwind with. Something therapeutic about it. Seems to be a trend I see with other people I know as well.

speedyink likes this.
  9. Darkhero

Darkhero The Future Is Now

Sonic Heroes. It's still pretty fun, but the controls are FAR worse than the Adventure games, the levels can drag on for too long (especially when they stop you to fight some enemies), and the characters talk way too much. Oh, and don't get me started on the special stages.

I'd still play it, but it's hard to recommend to someone who hasn't played a 3D Sonic game, and I'm one of the last people to jump on the anti-3D Sonic bandwagon.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  10. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I have the (Daytona USA 2001) Japanese version and the US version, and I actually prefer the Japanese version. It seems easier, though I'm not sure why.

11. Segafreaknz

Segafreaknz Rising Member

pokemon red loved it as a kid when back to play it would not call it bad but no where near as good as when i was a kid

12. Darkhero

Darkhero The Future Is Now

I played Yellow last year. Still had fun but some parts are definitely dated, like the inventory system.

Segafreaknz likes this.