GAMES NOT AS GOOD AS YOU REMEMBER

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Olschoolgamer, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Olschoolgamer

Olschoolgamer Spirited Member

Have you recently played a game only to discover it was not as good as you remember it being? If this situation sounds all too familiar, share with us all in the comments!

I got inspired to create this thread because I was just playing 007 Nightfire on the GameCube. I remember feeling somewhat underwhelmed back when it was released but after playing it now again......I thoroughly didn't enjoy my time playing it! It was worse than I remember it being. I feel this could be a lengthy thread and would love to hear others with similar expieriences with various games.

2. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Gutsy Member

Sonic adventure is one I remember being good.
    Now I play that I play it again I see this game is very broken and needs a lot of repairs.
    I do always remember Big the Cat as a horrible experience though.

3. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Here's a list:
    • Super Mario 64 - controls like utter shit, which makes sense because it's an early 3D platformer.
    • Sonic Adventure - controls worse than SM64 which is a damn achievement, and the shitty DC controller doesn't help.
    • Donkey Kong Country - so many leaps of faith, frame-perfect jumps, and annoying levels. I can no longer recommend this game.
    • Star Wars Ep. 1 Racer (N64 version) - so inferior to the PC version that it's not even funny - worst analog controls I've ever seen and the framerate is worse than Goldeneye, it's virtually unplayable.
    • every single PS2 game I played as a kid (Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo, etc) - they all look terrible and play terrible, hardly anything I've seen has aged well at all. So many PS2 games are difficult to control, you have to fight with your fucking controller (and the fact that the dualshock series, except for DS4, is shit in itself doesn't help).

4. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Big the Cat is optional, right? I always play as Sonic. I agree that Sonic Adventure has some issues, but I still think it's a decent game. I think its main problem is that it's a little too easy. I still like it a lot more than SA2, though.

Have you ever played the Dreamcast version? It's similar to the PC version from what I remember, but it might have some slight enhancements. It's definitely better than the other console versions.

Also, this should be in general gaming, and I don't understand why the title is in all caps.

There are other things I could say, but I'll continue later.

5. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Gutsy Member

you can't complete the game if you don't beat the big the cat portion

6. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

What version are you talking about? In the Dreamcast version, if you play as Sonic, you're Sonic throughout the entire game.

7. miloxydia

miloxydia Spirited Member

Each character had a different play through of the game, and if you beat the game with all the characters it would unlock the last bit.

Johnace 2.0 likes this.
  8. Topsnek

Topsnek Snack Eater

Too bad you feel that way about nightfire... I have always liked the game. My personal favorite out of all the 007 games. But then again I always knew the game was goofy and had bad controls (try flying the skorpion missles through buildings). I just had always taken the game for what it was and enjoyed it for just that.

I'd say there are a ton of games that when you play them again, they don't seem as great as they once were. DK 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Super Mario Kart and any of the COD, Medal of honors all come to mind.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  9. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Daytona 2001

It's like fighting with rails, yet controls are far too touchy.

krHACKen likes this.
  10. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64 or your money back

Coolboarders 3

11. Olschoolgamer

Olschoolgamer Spirited Member

Yeah I reported my post right after I posted it, it just hasn't been corrected yet. General Gaming thread is more appropriate, I made a mistake. Also had the caps lock on when the title was typed. Hopefully the Mods can fix that for me as well. Sorry if this came off as careless and/or annoying.

I'm going to push through and finish Nightfire, maybe my opinion will change as I progress through the game. Many games that I even mildly enjoyed from the past I can still find the charm in them still that I did when I played when they initially came out. I realize it's all about perception, which I find interesting. I think Medal Of Honor Frontline as well as Diddy King Racing hold up great! Dechief mentioned Super Mario 64 and Donkey Kong Country. I still adore those games. We are all going to like and dislike games, but it's interesting to find titles we once cherished come across as bland and unappealing now. This alone I believe separates gaming from other forms of media such as movies and music. As gamers our expectations of greatness changes with time as the industry grows and advances with technology.

12. MrThunderwing

MrThunderwing Rising Member

A lot of scrolling beat-em-up arcade games haven't withstood the test of time well. I used to absolutely love the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arcade game when I was a kid, but I'd never get much further than the second stage with the limited amount of 10p pieces I'd have on me. I'd always be clamouring for more once that game over screen popped up. The first time I played through it properly on MAME many, many year later, with the benefit of infinite money, I quickly started getting bored ages before I got to the final stage. Probably didn't help I was solo playing on MAME, wheras back in the arcade I'd normally be playing with a couple of mates. The only side scrolling fighters I've still got a lot of time for these days are Golden Axe and Streets of Rage 2. I think Golden Axe is the perfect length so you don't get bored and SOR2 just seems timeless to me, the amazing soundtrack probably helps a lot with that.

13. MrThunderwing

MrThunderwing Rising Member

(Sorry for double post - hadn't seen this comment)
    Try Daytona USA 2001 using the emulator DEMUL and a PC racing wheel. Using My DFGT wheel it handles extremely closely to the arcade version.

14. Synnett

Synnett GC Controller Hoarder

The only game I noticed isn't very good is Sonic Adventure 2, in fact it's pretty bad. All the other games I grew to love are still good even nowadays, which is great.

15. Topsnek

Topsnek Snack Eater

Just to play devil's advocate, I think that would actually group music, movies and games tighter into one group. I used to love Guns N' Roses and can barely stand them now, and seeing All Dogs Go to Heaven again, i can definitely see the huge flaws in the movie. Even for technology. The new Ghostbusters (2016) movie had the ghost Liberian scene that everyone hated for it's horrible cgi. People even said that it looked worse than the original Ghostbusters (1984) movie. And almost nobody would stand to hear a brand new band record with even early 2000's technology.

16. MachineCode

MachineCode The Devil

You had a point up until this. To be accurate, the same few people do MOST of the major releases every year and many of their prized pieces of equipment are from the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's. In fact, a lot of new pieces of audio equipment are recreations of the 50's-80's originals. Even the folks who mix in the box (all in the computer using plug ins, no outboard gear or consoles) tend to most heavily use plugins that aim to emulate gear of the past. To the point where they even design the GUI to look like the front of these old pieces of gear.

What's truly changed is how much editing is done (using Pro Tools which debuted in the early 90s, and Auto-Tune which debuted in 98), the fact that far less people use analog tape nowadays, and just the general methodology and approach to making a record and how specific tools are used now vs in the past. A lot more fixing via editing vs capturing good performances.

To sum it up, you have a former recording engineer (there's just more money in other fields) telling you that you straight up have no clue what you are talking about when it comes to this.

17. Topsnek

Topsnek Snack Eater

Well you have me there. I don't record for a living so I don't know the ins and outs of the industry. I guess i meant more along the lines of editing and recording conditions. Like you can tell the difference between a band that was recorded in the 70's and a band that is trying to emulate the 70's. I pretty much got what you where trying to say in the first two paragraphs.

18. Krayzar

Krayzar 75% Weasels by Volume

I used to play Goldeneye's multiplayer for hours with friends back in the day. For a New Years party I brought it out expecting to play at least a few rounds for nostalgia's sake. We could barely get past a single round. Everyone agreed we'd been too spoiled by auto targeting and games with decent controls.

Ended up actually playing Mario Kart 64 for hours. That holds up pretty well.

19. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

NiGHTS into Dreams... Maybe it's because I only played a demo as a kid at like Wal-Mart or something, but playing it now it's nowhere near as playable as it seemed in 95.

20. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

I had the exact opposite experience, lol. I never gave the game the time of day when my friend popped it into his Saturn years ago. I'm all like what's the point of this game, you just fly around in circles. Fast forward to more recently I picked it up for my Saturn since so many people seemed to like it, so I gave it an actual chance. Turns out it's actually really fun and relaxing flying around in circles, and the music from definitely the mid 90's is great =P