GameCube Ocarina of Time Master Quest version flashed to a real Nintendo 64 Cartridge, playable on N

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Rocky, Dec 24, 2016.

1. comradesnarky

comradesnarky Member

I wanted to make a post with more info about adding the EEPROM for anyone else wanting to give this a shot.

First, here's a list I found of all the 64 games (I believe) and their save type along with EEPROM size. This can be useful if anyone is looking to buy one of these carts and wants to know what they're getting into. There's a lot of options for cheap 4k EEPROM, for the 16k if you get Conker's it seems like Star Wars Episode I: Racer and Excitebike are your best bets.

Next, here's a pinout that I found for the EEPROM from this website:
    [​IMG]

I went ahead and just snapped off pins 2 and 7 since they're NC.

Here's what my board looks like:
    [​IMG]

Like I mentioned in my prior post, it seems tempting to use the negative battery terminal connection for ground but it's not actually ground which is why there's a mess of solder and a wire coming off of it and going to an actual ground point.

I didn't feel comfortable with trying to scrape at this board to expose traces because it seems to be pretty cheaply made, so I decided to solder to the top of the cart pins. If you're using thin kynar wire you can still get the black dust guard over them.

Your connections should be:
    (written as EEPROM -> cartridge)
    GND pins 1 & 4 -> GND (I stripped out a small section of the middle of the wire and used a single wire to tie these pins together)
    CLK pin 3 -> cart pin 19 (1.6MHZ)
    DATA pin 5 -> cart pin 21(S_DAT) (notice that with this pin there is a point above the pin that the wire can be soldered to)
    /COLD_RESET pin 6 -> cart pin 20 (/COLD_RESET)
    VCC pin 8 -> cart pin 17 (VCC) (notice that with this pin there is a point above the pin that the wire can be soldered to)

Have fun!

sanni likes this.
  2. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

One of the big NES pirate multi-carts I've seen had mostly NTSC ROMs as you would expect, however some games like Kirby's Adventure strangely used the PAL ROMs. So it's not at all surprisingly for pirates to have the wrong region or poorly hacked ROMs. As RSO said, they don't really care if the game can't be finished. All they care is that you buy it and it appears to work. Atleast long enough for you to not have any chance of getting a refund.

3. Zoinkity

Zoinkity Site Supporter 2015

I'd say the reason you're getting funky dumps is the rate it's doing it at. Accesses will be slower than a retail ROM because that altera needs time to work its magic. There's a similar situation with similarly bad dumps pulling from Aleck64 carts, similarly using an altera max.

Ask marshallh how to slow the reading process or increase the latency or something.

DS2, rso and Rocky like this.
  4. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

I got my copy of the aliexpress master quest last night. It has the N64 buttons and seems to save. I don't know if I would trust it long term but its neat to see a working ROM hack in a cart. I might see about getting a new label printed for it and rehome the game in a real n64 cart.

DS2 and rso like this.
  5. ozidual

ozidual Gamer

No ending fix. It's possible that it is using some archaic version of the ending fix, but the most common one now is not used.

Just a heads up, there are instructions out there for adding the N64 buttons only to the GC ROMS with no other changes. There's someone doing Zelda Voyager of Time runs right now like that.

6. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

If you do that, please feel free to share your experience, I'd love to see what you'd come up with.

7. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

What's the part number of the eeprom?

I'm sure you could just buy one or a compatible replacement, rather than using a donor cart.

8. comradesnarky

comradesnarky Member

I tried to look and see if I could find anything comparable, but I couldn't. The part numbers on the EEPROMs just led me to N64 cart database type sites. I looked up 16k EEPROMs and checked out datasheets but I couldn't find anything that appeared to have the right functions. Digging around a bit, I found some discussion on NESdev that seems to imply these are proprietary chips.

9. JnL

JnL Rising Member

so there are working repro n64 cards out there, or did I miss something? and if so, any pal-versions?? will the aliexpress zelda master quest work on a pal console, as it is a modified pal rom?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  10. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Whats the part number

11. skaman

skaman Member

BK16D in a DIP8 package.

12. sanni

sanni Intrepid Member

As suspected Resident Evil 2 comes with a fully populated pcb:
    re2.jpg

Build quality is quite nice actually. PCB is 1.3mm thick compared to the 1.2mm of an original.

takeshi385 likes this.
  13. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

Any clear indication that this is a pirated game at least? Really can't stand seeing repros that tries to look as authentic as possible, as some of them undoubtedly will end up being sold as the real deal :(

14. Rocky

Rocky N64 Fanatic

The cartridge itself feels very uncanny in relation to the real deal. Although this won't help in the slightest when buying online. The labels being overly shiny is a clear giveaway to me.

15. MrMario2011

MrMario2011 Robust Member

I also nabbed the Master Quest repro. It is quite a nice shelf piece and is more one of those things that is nice to have in a collection, mostly because it looks cool. You can tell from holding the cartridge that it is a cheaper plastic, the Nintendo logo isn't cut in as nicely as on regular cartridges, and the labels are shinier. Internally it is missing the 2 screws which screw the PCB into the cart itself, the carts also require some force to load in and out of the console.

If you're wanting to physically see it, I did a bit of a casual video going over it here, although this is more just confirming what I had typed out above:

16. comradesnarky

comradesnarky Member

Part number is different depending on cart. The one that was posted didn't match what was on the one I pulled from Excitebike. I can check what that was tonight.

The rear label is slightly taller on these pirates. The formatting is slightly different as well, that's going to be your best giveaway, aside from the front label being too glossy. I mean, it's not like Chinese pirates want you to tell the game isn't real.

17. skaman

skaman Member

Is the unpopulated DIP8 for the EEPROM? Could you solder a socket around the UltraCIC then pop in the BK16D EEPROM?

18. sanni

sanni Intrepid Member

Sadly that footprint is just an option for a dip8 ultracic.
    Pin 21 of the cartslot (the eeproms datapin) isn't connected to anything at all actually, just to an isolated pad (marked P1 in comradesnarky image).
    Also Pin 19 (1.6Mhz CLK) is connected to the Max II CPLD.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  19. skaman

skaman Member

Thanks sanni!
    Now you have to figure out the protocol to reflash the chips.
    I bought a copy so I might be able to help whenever the cart gets here.

20. sanni

sanni Intrepid Member

Bought one of those simple passthrough import adapters.
    1.jpg
    The cart slot is angled at ninty degrees exposing all the pins at the back of the pcb. So I soldered two pinheader strips to them.
    2.jpg
    Then I spend the rest of the evening making a new back cover so I can plug-in my logic analyzer very easily and listen to all the signals.
    3.jpg 4.jpg

Now to figuring out why I can't dump the repro while the N64 has no problems reading it. My guesses so far:
    - Setting the address takes longer time because the Max II is not as fast as the maskroms, so I need a delay
    - The 1.6Mhz signal going to the Max II is needed
    - Maybe the Max II waits for a reset?

Also we will need to make a pinout to see if the WE/CE/OE pins of the flashrom are even connected to the Max II.

DS2 and awesomeNES like this.