GameCube Ocarina of Time Master Quest version flashed to a real Nintendo 64 Cartridge, playable on N

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Rocky, Dec 24, 2016.

1. rso

rso °

I can haz Eagle files, mebbeh?

These carts (though not with Zelda on them) already came up some time ago (there's another thread somewhere on these forums with more photos), but noone bothered to tear one down for some proper board scans, maybe because they cost a bit more back then iirc. But at $21 I might just grab one to keep my MK64 box weighted down until I can find my original again, then take the soldering iron to it...

2. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

IMG_0904.JPG IMG_0905.JPG IMG_0906.JPG
    It has reproduction gamebit screws, reproduction black pcb dust cover, and the reproduction case looks real, however it doesn't feel real (too much acid etching). It also has reproduction shielding, although it appears to be galvanized steal as apposed to plated steal like oem.
    It has a attiny25 ultra cic and an altera max 2 chip.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    sanni, rso, zouzzz and 2 others like this.
  3. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

Thanks for showing that off, I was expecting a glop top chip somewhere on it. Its made a little better than I expected at $21

4. takeshi385

So was I. My only complaint is the cart is super thick so getting it in an out can be trouble. (Insert joke here lol)

5. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

is that a iscp for the fpga

takeshi385 likes this.
  6. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

I hope it doesn't destroy the slot with repeated insertions.... Gigity

takeshi385 likes this.
  7. takeshi385

Not a pro, but it looks like it. So in theory you could reprogram it just by mounting some header pins.

8. sanni

sanni Intrepid Member

Here's a picture of the Conker cart I found in another board, notice that it has twice the flashrom capacity but does not have the sram and battery since Conker saves to eeprom.

[​IMG]

That being said you could buy a Resident Evil 2 repro since it's 64MB and uses sram to save so you get all the chips. ;)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Rocky, takeshi385 and rso like this.
  9. rso

rso °

You could, but afaict they all cost the same to why bother?

Too bad they upgraded to FPGAs, those older boards (clayfighter etc, with just a bunch of gates) would've been cheaper to clone at home.

10. comradesnarky

comradesnarky Member

So, I bought this Conker cart but it's not saving for me. Internals look the same. How far into the game do you have to play before it saves? I've played out of the initial area (past the gargoyle on the bridge) and it didn't save. Not too keen on going through all of the unskippable cutscenes again.

11. sanni

sanni Intrepid Member

Imho it will never save because it's missing the 16K eeprom chip that Conker needs and the Max II itself only has 8K of eeprom-like internal storage.
    You could however steal the eeprom chip out of a cheap copy of Star Wars EP1 Racer and solder it into the Conker cart.

12. comradesnarky

comradesnarky Member

Intriguing. Certainly willing to take a crack at it. Any idea on how it should be wired up to this board? I can see which pins seem to be voltage and ground (two grounds?), three go to pins on the cart connector, and two appear to be NC.

None of these would have any reason to connect to the FPGA or flash ROMs... Damn. I'm tempted to give this a shot right now but I don't want to lose my Racer save. I put a lot of time into that, haha.

Guess I answered my own question there. Going to have to go shopping tomorrow and come back with results.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  13. sanni

sanni Intrepid Member

Yes the eeprom is connected directly to the cart slot.
    The pins should be 3.3V, GND,1.6Mhz Clock(cart slot pin 19) and Data(cart slot pin 21) and a bunch of NC. The eeprom uses the same protocol as the N64 controller but with an added clock source. It should be very simple to add to the repro cart.

DS2 likes this.
  14. comradesnarky

comradesnarky Member

Alright, I can confirm that adding the EEPROM does indeed work. I couldn't find a copy of Racer but Excitebike has the correct EEPROM size as well. So, now I've got a nice saving copy of the game. Heads up to anyone else doing this, the ground connection for the battery actually isn't ground. The back of the battery is grounded out against the board. I had soldered my ground connections there initially and it didn't work.

15. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

any of the Aliexpress carts have the patches applied to fix the end crash and / or buttons?

16. Rocky

Rocky N64 Fanatic

DS2, ozidual, rso and 3 others like this.
  17. rso

rso °

Dude, they're cutting costs by leaving out the hardware necessary for saving. Whatever makes you think they would care wether any of the games can be finished?

18. Zoinkity

Zoinkity Site Supporter 2015

That's a bad dump. There are KB blocks of 8037 randomly interspersed.
    Otherwise, looks like a modified PAL MQ ROM, non-debug. (yes, I did write PAL)

19. Rocky

Rocky N64 Fanatic

That's strange, maybe I didn't position the cart correctly on the ultra save. Also, it being PAL means it's running at 50hz right? If so that's pretty crappy of the seller.

20. rso

rso °

There's quite a few games that have an option to switch to 60Hz ("PAL60") too, at least on the GC and up (and, in fact, iirc the Zelda MQ disc is one of them). Anyways, if you run a PAL N64 game on a NTSC console you'll be seeing a game running at 60Hz, but probably too fast.

Rocky likes this.