GameCube Journey - Wasp Fusion and HDMI Progress Thread

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by citrus3000psi, Sep 6, 2016.

1. retronerd

retronerd Spirited Member

2. retronerd

i take it as a No!

3. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

You don’t need the lid part if you choose to do autoboot with the wkf

retronerd likes this.
  4. retronerd

Thanks!

5. Newschool2k17

Newschool2k17 Member

@citrus3000psi Hey, I installed this mod. Everything is working except for 1 thing: The wasp can load from the sd card, but whenever I eject and try to load a disc. It just throws errors and tells me to shutdown the gamecube. What is a possible reason? I reflowed everything, still the same problem. Wasp fusion has 1.0 firmware with autoboot, so exactly the same as any other.

EDIT: Also, thank you for ur work! It's really awesome.

1 more thing that doesn't work is the sd-adapter. I installed everything properly, perhaps the digikey part u mentioned earlier (the replacement) doesn't work? It's rated at 10v, while the original one u posted was rated at 16v, or does that not affect it?

6. citrus3000psi

If you boot up the gamecube with no card. Does the disc drive work then?

7. Newschool2k17

Newschool2k17 Member

No it does not, it tries to power up/ read but almost immediately after it either doesn't read or errors out.

I will post pictures of the qsb's in a moment if that's okay?

8. citrus3000psi

I'd say solder is still not flowing down the holes on the QSB. or there is a bridge in the FFC connector. Check for continuity. The SD reader 10v/16v shouldn't matter. As thats rated fine. Again trace back and make sure everything is connected properly. Its very easy to solder something and have a bridge that the naked eye can't see.

Newschool2k17 likes this.
  9. Newschool2k17

Newschool2k17 Member

10. Newschool2k17

Newschool2k17 Member

11. citrus3000psi

Is that a solder bridge in this image?

https://ibb.co/nNAEeb

Also your soldering looks good, but that doesn't mean there isn't a bridge or those solder hasn't flowed down those holes etc.

Bearking and Newschool2k17 like this.
  12. Newschool2k17

Newschool2k17 Member

Thanks, I really appreciate the nice comment, especially from someone who's a pro at modding. Actually, because of you I started trying out this awesome mod. It's definitely the most challenging mod for me (but I guess someone who mods on a regular basis should have less problem doing this mod).

When you said continuity, I actually pulled out an old meter. And guess what, some holes just don't make contact. Do I reflow those holes? Also, what's the proper way of checking continuity. Do I just put the pin of the meter on 1 hole and the other pin on other pins one at a time(of the meter)? Perhaps my words are vague, but I hope u get what I am trying to say since I have no real electrical experience (lol on this one)

A final question is: how do I know whether there is a bridge (underneath the DVD qsb) when soldering through hole? Is there a way of finding out?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  13. citrus3000psi

Yeah try reflowing the holes. I use a fine soldering tip like this (Mine is a little thinner but you get the jist): https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/32TV94_AS01

You are going to want to check continuity between the pad holes on the QSB to the other dvd connector on the other side of the motherboard. It will be a pain but will help isolate the issues.

As far as bridges under the qsb. Simply check continuity between each hole that is next to each other, as they should not have continuity except for the ground holes. Take a look at the holes in the this image. See the faint cross in some of the holes? Those are grounded and will have continuity with ground and other grounded holes..

https://644db4de3505c40a0444-327723...kcdn.com/bb249afcfe1b6a954ff74f10bc77a30a.png

14. Newschool2k17

Newschool2k17 Member

Superb! The continuity check was a pain in the a.. indeed but fortunately (and also unfortunately because now I don't know where to look) there is continuity on every pin except for the ones next to each other (with the exception of the ground holes).

What I am thinking is that there might be a problem on with:
    1) the ffc connectors or
    2) the dvd,filters (or am I just guessing right now)
    3) the 3.3 vreg maybe? Should I check this for continuity?

I assume these need some sort of continuity aswell?

Sorry for eating away ur time, I'll try to do that as less as possible (but thank you so far for all the help!)

15. citrus3000psi

The as card portion works with the normal white box right? That means the dvd filters are fine and the 3.3v is coming since it powers the wasp.

At this point I’d still check for solder bridges on the ffc connector

16. Newschool2k17

Newschool2k17 Member

That's correct, the one with the white box works correctly. I'll go through every ffc connector then and see if that works.