GameCube Journey - Wasp Fusion and HDMI Progress Thread

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by citrus3000psi, Sep 6, 2016.

1. jskyboo

jskyboo Member

Thank you @citrus3000psi for these boards! I just finished up installing the wasp fusion boards and they work great! Only notes I have if you ever do further revisions are I wish the microSD board used a push push socket instead but the push pull works fine. Also due to the positions of the screws the 12pin FFC cable has to move slightly around it instead of just straight down and then over to the wasp. Maybe make the microSD board a little larger so the FFC connector can be moved further down and off center. Possibly could even combine it with the DVD board and move the FFC connector to the other side of the DVD FFC. Last I wonder about the DVD filters and how needed they are so if you made a Host board with the DVD filters moved to it I would definitely be interested in it.

For anyone wondering about the FFC cables to use, they are same sided FFC cables 0.50mm pitch with 12 conductors for the microSD cable and 32 conductors for the DVD and Host cables. For the microSD FFC I found 5 inch to work well, could also use 6 inch and have a little more wiggle room. For the Host FFC I used a 3.94 inch cable but 4 inch would work fine, both are a little long but work. For the DVD FFC I used a 2 inch cable which was slightly longer than I would have liked but 1 inch wouldn't have allowed to fully place the wasp below the Host board.

If you have any problems with audio streaming discs, the wasp settings need to be adjusted. Megalomaniac has a video explaining the wasp settings here

and a video about downgrading to 1.0 to change the settings here

as well as the tools he used in the video here https://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1281&start=84
    One note for anyone downgrading before you start you may want to make sure you have a backup way to load a DOL. I had problems with the 1.0 firmware reading WBFS formatted sd card but was able to use XenoGC to run swiss from a burned disc.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    citrus3000psi likes this.
  2. Newschool2k17

Newschool2k17 Member

@citrus3000psi Is there a way to get these parts, ready to solder, from you? I have done quite a few mods and so far so good, and I am confident enough that this will work out too.

The parts I am talking about are the WKF/Wasp Host QSB 2.3, WKF/Wasp DVD QSB 1.4 and WKF/WASP MicroSD Front Mount Board (sdcard_cube).

EDIT: I've found almost all the info I needed, just had to look a bit better. One thing I couldn't find info on, was the ffc cables, does anyone know the ideal lengths and which ones to get preferably?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  3. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

You mean the boards with the FFC connectors pre installed? I may have some spares, I'd have to check.

Check the previous post, @jskyboo listed some lengths.

4. Newschool2k17

Newschool2k17 Member

Thanks, I got all the cables, parts and I ordered 0.8mm thickness for all of dem boards. I think I saw a thread were u mentioned that the dvd qsb needed to be the 1.6mm preferably to get that ffc connector over the smd cap? Could u perhaps rule out whether .8mm boards (for the host, dvd and microsd) will work or that some parts really need to be 1.6mm?

5. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

Damn. Do the boards have to be 0.8mm?

You should add that info to the first post then :)

6. citrus3000psi

I used 1.6mm for all my boards originally. I have never tested .8mm boards. But I do think the DVD QSB has to be 1.6mm, as the ffc connector sits right above a cap that is taller than .8mm. You could replace the cap with something smaller, but I have no idea what its values are.

Newschool2k17 likes this.
  7. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

Okay good :) Then I wont have to reorder the boards. Should receive them soon. Already got the parts.

Oakleaf likes this.
  8. Newschool2k17

Newschool2k17 Member

I ordered them today at 0.80mm, but I already contacted customer service after I read this post (which was 30 minutes after). I hope they correct it on time :p

9. Newschool2k17

Newschool2k17 Member

How easy was it btw to remove the DVD Fil1, I mean, do I need a thin needle like soldering iron for certain parts (when u desolder stuff) and also, I guess u did that prior to installation ofc.

10. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

Fingers crossed :)

11. citrus3000psi

I used hot air to remove the filters. If I have to use an iron, I'd use something like chip quick.

EDIT, I thought you meant the fillter arrays. FIL1 is like a resistor and big of tip on the iron can heat both sides and pull it out easily.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  12. jskyboo

jskyboo Member

I used .8mm for the Host board, so I can vouch for that working well. I suspect @citrus3000psi is correct about the DVD board needing to be 1.6mm but I didn't try it with .8mm.

I removed the DVD Fil1 with a pretty average sized soldering tip without too much trouble. You need to be a little careful with the filter right next to it but it wasn't too bad.

13. retronerd

retronerd Spirited Member

Hello! I have an PAL Gamecube and a Wasp chip, i want be able to play isos from SD card, if i just order your boards can i do that? I have a compatible ipl. Thanks!

14. citrus3000psi

Yep just need the boards and ffc connectors

15. retronerd

Do i also need the lid Part?

16. retronerd

17. citrus3000psi

What lid part?

Yes

18. Newschool2k17

Newschool2k17 Member

19. Gizmo613

Gizmo613 Member

Shouldn't it be 0.1uf 0603 caps???

20. citrus3000psi

If you are talking about the SD Board, then yes there is a 1u 0603 cap. This one will work 1276-1946-1-ND