GameCube Journey - Wasp Fusion and HDMI Progress Thread

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by citrus3000psi, Sep 6, 2016.

1. mickcris

mickcris Site Supporter 2014,2015

the v4's have been on sale a couple times. I actually have 2 of them. i bought the 2nd one a couple years back when he was doing a black friday sale.

2. element18592

element18592 Member

Wait im assuming you used OSHPark since the boards are purple. How did you get half vias? Ive tried in the past and the declined my submission saying they couldn't cut through vias.

3. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

Yeah I'm using oshpark... They have certain guidelines. http://docs.oshpark.com/tips+tricks/castellation/

Honestly I didn't know they rejected boards. I thought whatever the fab does the fab does. I just got more boards today. They didn't do the internal cutouts on of the designs but they did last time. Only difference in the design was square vs round vias.

4. element18592

element18592 Member

That is awesome news. Tried to make quite a few qsbs a while back and always had to design a workaround. Thanks for the info.

5. citrus3000psi

Just a small update.

I didn't do much this weekend on the GC. Was busy all day Saturday, and I binged watched TV with my wife on Sunday. I'm hoping to have a successful test with the HDMI tonight.

6. happy_bunny

happy_bunny Rising Member

god damn it man (said in your best Dr McCoy voice) I want to see some mario EDTV hdmi goodness !!

7. citrus3000psi

Still didn't work. Whats even worse I don't have a direction to go in for debugging. At this point I'm going to set this design aside. I'm going to focus on the wasp and get that going and get that end wrapped up. I may design a test board that allows me to debug eaiser. This thing is so tiny its pain to do a simple voltage check etc. I did check every pin tonight under the microscope. Looking for anything obvious. I wonder if its something dumb like the FFC cable isn't able to supply enough current. But at this point my patience is getting thin and I need to take break and come back with fresh eyes.

I just went through the entire PCB design again, pin for pin and don't see anything wrong. I am not using tant caps for the 1.2reg just ceramic caps. I can't that causing an issue but I will change them out tonight and cross my fingers.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  8. citrus3000psi

9. happy_bunny

Wait there are more differences look on the wikipedia hdmi page under connectors most of the pins are swapped for the mini hdmi.

10. citrus3000psi

I know its more than just pin1, I was just saying giving an example. That PDF has an illustration matching the pins up nicely to a Normal HDMI plug to a MINI

Just revised the HDMI pins, made some other small changes to make a few resistors easier to solder. Then sent it off to OSH park.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  11. happy_bunny

Cool don't want you to get more boards made and then find out the data pins are also swapped.

So EDTV mario coming soon... :)

12. citrus3000psi

Still waiting on HDMI board to arrive. I'm not sure why I'm dragging my feet on the wasp part; I have the parts and just need to test them. I have been working on other projects however. Something for Genesis 1 and Game Gear.

I also tore apart my Wii two nights ago and did some test fitting: I came up with this:

(This is very much a proto, but the basic outline is done. This would sit directly below the wii AV connector and wires would come out via 2 connectors (one for power/gnd/spdif/pad, and the other is for the digital AV). I don't think it will be possible to build a qsb. A custom flex cable would be the way to go to connect the .5mm IC chip. @Unseen would it be possible to port the gcvideo wii code over to a shrukin template?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  13. citrus3000psi

New HDMI boards are getting shipped today via osh park. I should get them on Monday or Tuesday.

I have a pretty busy weekend planned:
    Painting a butter dish for my wife
    replacing shocks shocks on my truck.
    recapping a duo rx

And hopefully getting a wasp installed and going too :)

14. Unseen

Unseen Spirited Member

Yes. It needs a few changes in toplevel_shuriken.vhd (actually checking/forwarding TargetConsole like in toplevel_p2xh.vhd instead of hard-coding it) and a modified UCF file that specifies 1.8V levels for most of the inputs.

15. citrus3000psi

Thanks, good to know. I have a knjn pluto board I plan on wiring soon to my wii to see if I can get it going.

16. citrus3000psi

I'm just going to leave this here.

I will post more information and included osh park links etc.

@happy_bunny for your help on all this and original work!

awesomeNES and happy_bunny like this.
  17. bagheera

bagheera Rising Member

Have you tried 480p/576p mode? People have had noise on their video when using long wiring with the Pluto2x.

18. citrus3000psi

My guess is the the noise is coming from the wiring job. I isolated the 54Mhz line in the FFC connector to the end next to GND lines. The length of this FFC connector is 8in. I also have shorter cables as well, but I wanted to test the the longest cable I have to see what results I would get. I can't try 480p/576p, this is using the XC3S50A FPGA. I have an XC3S200 chip with parts for an updated design. I will build that and test.

I'm going to add OSH park links and BOM to the first post after I verify the cable length is good for 480p.

I wouldn't recommend using this board, as the new board (Which I already have, just need to get assembled) passes the pad input data to the QSB. It also has test pads for the SPDIF/IR on the board itself. Otherwise its identical to what I just test with.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    zeruel85 likes this.
  19. bagheera

bagheera Rising Member

You can try it. You need to boot a game that supports 480p mode. I think you are confusing the linedoubling option. Linedoubling will not give any trouble, because the signal coming from the GC is still 240p/480i.

The problem is indeed related to the length, but also the positioning of the wires.

happy_bunny likes this.
  20. citrus3000psi

Good to know. I'll test tonight and post results.