GameCube DVD drive emulator

Discussion in 'Nintendo Game Development' started by cybdyn, Jun 11, 2012.

1. cybdyn

cybdyn Embedded developer (MCU & FPGA)

Hello! is anybody can help me with information about interface or protocol of miniDVD drive unit of gamecube. or some usefull links will be good too.

i wanna resarch and develope drive emulator fofr GC...

2. drewmerc

drewmerc Rising Member

3. cybdyn

ye, big tnx, something like this will be good. i'm glad any help and critic too))

i remember, some guy (from japan) showed his work witj GC emu in the PSIO thread. i would like talk with him but cant remind.

also, i'm interesting, is such device popular today here?

al

4. ToñoGK

ToñoGK Member

How would a dvd drive emulator work?

5. cybdyn

replacing original DVD drive by board with FPGA/MCU -> sd/hdd.

i notice: there is the way of launching games from SD through card slot A/B. is this way can completely replace native mini dvd-drive, or there is limitation games thats can be launched? and in this case it need load some kind sd-loader first in memory.

GC load IPL through SPI-like IF, does it use simple replace with another datas or it is very copmlex encrypted...?

6. TPSNT

TPSNT Rapidly Rising Member

7. splith

splith Resolute Member

8. cybdyn

9. n64coder

n64coder Robust Member

Since there are several options for using a drive emulator (Wode, SunDriver), I would like to suggest that it would be better to focus on a platform that does not have one (e.g, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2) as there would be more demand for such a device. On the Wii front, there are a couple of people working to get GC games to run off USB (DiosMios, Devolution). Lastly, there's also Swiss for the Wii/GC that can play games via the SD card.

10. cybdyn

n64coder - fortunately, my project actually focused on ps1(ps2) / dc ))) ,
    i searching info about any other cd/dvd-based consoles. that i have in hand now. and i want add support of my board.

GC is rare in my area, but i have one now. and saturn is more harder to get.

11. subbie

subbie Guardian of the Forum

Do you have a drive emulator for PS1/PS2 going? Any chance that could be expanded into working for normal DVD drives? Me and a few people would love a solution to replace the dvd drive on namco based PS2 hardware (they use stock IDE drives) because of compatibility issues with some drives as well having to swap between DVD drives & HDDs for some game is a pain in the ass.

12. veganx

veganx Dauntless Member

and here we go again... the wode doesn't support streaming audio and it's a pain to install in the GC.

loading gc isos on the wii is almost implemented.

If you have the skills for it go for systems that really need an optical disc emulator. Like the dreamcast, the mega cd, the 3do (yeah, no one ever saw the drive emulator from the Russian guy so another one would be awesome).

Another option is wait for all the cartridge based systems get an Everdrive and wait for Krikzz to make one LOL

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  13. cybdyn

emulator cdvd-drive for ps1(ps2) and dc is underdevelopig now. i almost done with scheme of it. i had success with PSIO test board for ps1, that was playing games sourcing from PC by usb. you can see video on H360 and DC-SWAT sites.
    as for sound streaming , i decide add DAC to the board, for PCM/ADPCM streaming, so sound will be supported!

saturn / 3do / mega cd - are very rare consoles in my country, so i can't do some thing for them. only if some one send me any of them.

subbie - my board contain FPGA and MCU, so theoreticaly it can be reprogrammed for converting any type of protocols.

as i can get you need something like ATAPI_IDE (dvd-rom) -> IDE_ATA for HDD/CF and SD. for usb stick we need usb host controller.

14. splith

splith Resolute Member

15. cybdyn

big tnx for support! i didnt know why it was not showed.

16. subbie

subbie Guardian of the Forum

What about support for a CF then SD/USB? Would that be doable?

17. cybdyn

CF and SD will be supported at same time. cause it uses simple interface IDE(parallel lines) and SPI-like.

but for USB we need special IC with like USB-host, it need complex handling on mcu level. maybe in future.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  18. OzOnE

OzOnE Site Supporter 2013

I started playing with the GC EMU stuff last year. I didn't get very far with it though...

I only managed to get the FPGA hooked up to the GC and started testing with the Crazynation VHDL code.
    (I think it's "Lac"s VHDL code. I could be wrong - sorry, I can never remember all the usernames, but I've spoken to him on IRC).

When I realized that the WiiKey could be made to work for the GC, I abandoned the project and moved onto the 64DD / DC stuff.

@cybdyn - I would definitely recommend a cheap FPGA board from China for initial testing rather than having to build your own.
    The board I'm currently using was only £54 (~$84 USD) and has...

EP2C8Q208, 32MByte SDRAM, Sound Codec, FT245 USB chip, PS/2, VGA, RS232, SD Card slot, 50MHz clock, USB Blaster dongle, LCD interface and around 38 spare IO pins!

There are similar boards at around the same price (aimed at using "NIOS II" cores) which also include...

32MByte, 4Mbit SRAM!, 8MByte FLASH, and an LCD module. The only problem is, there are virtually NO spare IO pins left with many of these boards.

The board I'm thinking of getting is only £26 ($41 USD)! It only has SRAM, but should have around 50 spare pins.
    The drawback is that it has a EP2C5T144C8 (only ~5000 logic elements). Should be enough for the DC GD-EMU though.

Just a thought. It would save loads of time building your own PCB.

Let me know if I can help with the GC EMU stuff. I'll probably be working on the DC next week though.

OzOnE.
    Oooh, just saw this on YouTube. Probably old news, but does it work with streaming audio?...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMq6x3DunYc&feature=relmfu

19. cybdyn

OzOne - i gues i wil have quetions after i start with this gc conection.
    i actually thimk use CrazyNation's VHDL as information.

20. cybdyn

ALSO i see it uses CARD slot for loading games something like SD->IDE HDD mod))