Gameboy prototype question

Discussion in 'Dumping and Backing Up Your Games and Prototypes' started by ktfdemo111, Aug 31, 2017.

1. ktfdemo111

ktfdemo111 Nintendo Demo and Collect

So I bought a Gameboy prototype, and I was wondering if it matters if I play it before I dump the eprom, or if that has the possibility to corrupt the game (like an n64 prototype). I distinctly remember hearing that with n64 prototypes, you absolutely should NOT play them until you dump the rom, and I just want to be safe here.

2. Xzx123

Xzx123 Spirited Member

What is the game? If it is one with save functionality, then I guess you could wind up overwriting the existing save data if you play it and save (but obviously that isn't stored on the EPROM), though there's certainly a chance that the battery would have already died and any save data would be lost anyway. Speaking of which, it would be a good idea to check the battery since they can definitely leak out onto the PCB.

Are you planning to dump the EPROM directly using an EPROM programmer, or with some form of a GameBoy cartridge dumper?

3. ktfdemo111

ktfdemo111 Nintendo Demo and Collect

probably cartridge dumper, seeing as the cartridge doesnt contain a removable EPROM (or a least, I dont think it does). I should have probably specified that the cart was a dmg-mbc5-32m-Flash and looks like this:
    s-l400.jpg
    I didn't receive the cartridge until after I asked this question, so I didn't know this didnt have a removable eprom

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  4. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

That one doesn't have a removable eprom. The ones that do stick out of the cutout on the top of the cart, you can't miss it.

5. darkspire17

darkspire17 Robust Member

i played all my first party 64 protos before dumping them, they had no issues, its just that sometimes it can accidental errase them or most likely have a kill switch in them, tho luckily i own a BUNG dumper, so im able to dump while playing, but yeah, if you do not own a dumping unit, do NOT play them, just incase