Gameboy DIY Flashcart PCB and USB Programmer

Discussion in 'Nintendo Game Development' started by N64 freak, Oct 13, 2016.

1. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

After looking around for cheap original Gameboy (color) flashcarts i decided to build one myself.
    All the needed infos are avaylable on the internet and only a few parts are needed so the pcb project was born!

The Flashcart pcb is a simple replacement for a retail game PCB and you need an MBC5 donor cart for the shell and mbc5 chip. The flash rom is in a tsop40 package and you can use an 8Mbit, 16Mbit or even an 32Mbit flash-chip.

The cart-flasher/dumper is based around an Atmega8515 and has a windows gui to read and flash savegames, read the rom and in case off a flash cart programm a game to it.
    The cart-flasher can also be used to backup your savegames before you replace the internal batery off a game module.

If there's any interest i would gladly offer the card flasher/dumper and flashcart pcb for anyone who's interested in building one!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Helder, skyway1985, st! and 2 others like this.
  2. GoodTofuFriday

GoodTofuFriday Site Supporter 2015,2016,2017

Only one game per load? Id be interested

3. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

Exactly one game per load. It basically acts like any retail game.
    Only difference is you can simply change the rom that's on it in like 2-3 minutes!
    Say you played pokemon for like 10 hours and now want to play Tetris without loosing your save. That's no problem just insert the module to the reader and back it up.
    When you want to continue to play pokemon just flash the rom and savegame and your back at your original state again.

It is a pretty simple and straight forward flashcard exactly as i wanted it to be.

4. Im2Nelson4u

Im2Nelson4u Newly Registered

Is it possible to include a RTC since this is just a redesigned PCB to support the Tsop 40? I'm really interested in building one to play some translated games and would love to finally play them on a physical gameboy. Are your PCB and partslist available online or are you selling it?

5. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

Basically it would be possible to add a rtc but there aren't really a lot off games around using them.

The boards are basically just a standard Gameboy game that's rewritable. Remove your original Rom board and install this flash board and you can replace the game on the module!

Got them in my for sale thread either as bare pcbs or as completely installed kits.

6. atkfromabove

atkfromabove Rising Member

I'd be interested in one of these! I'll look for the thread in the marketplace.

7. skyway1985

skyway1985 Enthusiastic Member

whats the Price Point on this fully assembled? thats the only thing i would like to know. I'm interested in an Everdrive, but if this is MUCH cheaper I'd love a basic flash cart.

8. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

If it's just about the price, how about a GB USB Smart Card?

skyway1985 likes this.
  9. skyway1985

thats actually a good idea rso! i might try that! i like building projects like this though :)

10. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

And yet you ask for a fully assembled one? Does not compute.

11. skyway1985

RSO I meant what do all the pieces cost by the end to assemble it xD my fault lol

12. N64 freak

N64 freak Robust Member

Well for the cartridge you need:
    -MBC5 donor card (pokemon trading card game should be the cheapest around!)
    -the pcb itself (12€)
    -a cr1620 battery with solder tabs
    -29f032/29f033, 29f016 or 29f080

For the programmer you need:
    -atmega8515 in a qfn44 package
    -super gameboy for the cart-slot
    -ft232rl
    -mini usb b type
    -and the smaller parts like leds, resistors and capacitors

The price very much depends on how much the parts cost you. If you got all the needed parts lying around it's damn cheap!
    You need to invest about 20€ to build a complete cart and about 15€ To build a complete programmer.

The good thing about a seperated flasher and cart is that you can use them seperately. Each part is a little more expensive but you can have multiple (cheaper) flashcarts and you can backup your games and savegames from every cart!

13. mmz16x

mmz16x Spirited Member

is this project still active or any pcb's left?

14. Pinta77

Pinta77 Gamecube Fanatic

If you just want a single game flash cart, why dont you just get a cart from etsy and a cart reader/writer? Unless you just want to make one for the experience