Game Modifications

Discussion in 'Everdrive General' started by dvelez1985, Aug 9, 2011.

1. dvelez1985

dvelez1985 Newly Registered

Okay there are some games out there for example DBZ HyperDimension for the SNES that have been translated. Is it possible for me to desolder the current rom and flash a new chip and solder it in the place of the old one? Also can this be done with any game that has the SA-1 chip? Where is a good source where I can find this information out. Also can you do the same for Genesis games? Keep in mind I am new to this.

2. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

What does this have to do with the EverDrive exactly?

3. dvelez1985

dvelez1985 Newly Registered

Nothing I have an everdrive but since the everdrive does not support other enhancement chips other than the DSP1 then it would be nice to know if alternative can be done.

4. exdeath

exdeath Rising Member

Yes you can replace the ROM chips. Star Ocean for example if you can get a M27C320 SO44 EPROM it is pin compatible with the mask rom.

Note in the case of Star Ocean, there is a 32 mbit ROM and 16 mbit ROM connected to the SDD1 and if you split the ROM image into 4MB+2MB pieces before and after patching you'll notice that the 2MB portion is unchanged by the English patch, meaning you only have to swap the 32 mbit chip.

If you really want to get fancy, you can just piggy back the new EPROM over the existing mask ROM (assuming you chose a pin compatible chip) and lift the /CE pin of the original off the PCB. Then wire a small DPDT switch inside the cart that alternately connects each chip's /CE to Vcc (disable it) or to the original location on the PCB, while doing the opposite with the other, so as to select between original mask ROM or translated EPROM.

I'd be careful with destroying or mutilating originals though, esp. something like Star Ocean in my example.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011