Game Gear repair: best options?

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by superyoshi, Oct 20, 2016.

1. superyoshi

superyoshi Member

Hi

I have a Sega Game gear in need of new capacitors, but I would like to know if there's a specific set I need for my system:

All I can say about the system at this time is that it has TMSS (causing it to detect if a game is licensed and if so tell me "Produced by or under license from Sega Enterprises Ltd") and it does support the TV tuner (I tested it before buying it in mid 2005).

Also, do I need to take any extra precautions in installing an LED backlight? The system needs a new backlight too.

2. GoodTofuFriday

GoodTofuFriday Site Supporter 2015,2016,2017

if the system needs a new backlight then this repair likely isnt for you. The back light is cfl tube of sorts and not led.
    The game gear is extremely forgiving with caps. You can use ones where the uF value is close to the original. Voltage needs to be the same or more, but at most maybe 5v more.

3. MaxWar

MaxWar <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

I like to order cap kits from console5.com
    It makes the whole thing of getting the caps hassle free. There are a few different version of the GG motherboard. You have to identify which one you have to order the right cap kit. You can find directions on the console5 website.

4. superyoshi

superyoshi Member

Don't Console5's capacitor kits exclude sound and display capacitors?

5. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

The kits I've seen usually had enough components to cover all GG variants, iirc. But if you find you're a few short, as long as they have the correct capacity and support at least the necessary voltage, you can use whichever are available. Make sure they physically fit in there though.

As for the LEDs, I recommend giving them a thourough treatment with some sand paper to minimize bright spots, other than that it's a pretty straightforward mod.

6. MaxWar

MaxWar <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

Last time i ordered there, the kits had all the parts. Anyway you have a list of all the included caps, you can see if it fits with what you see on your motherboard.

7. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

McWill I think his name is, makes a replacement LCD for the game gear

8. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

If it has TMSS screen it is the model that has a single chip ASIC and single chip ASIC doesn't work with the TV tuner.