FZ-35S and GMC 2003.5

Discussion in 'Panasonic M2 and 3DO' started by Joe Sancho, Sep 5, 2010.

1. TrailBrake

TrailBrake Active Member

Mixed degree of success.

Rename Cadillac DVD file Opera00.dat -> Opera00.dat.iso -> burn to CD * BOOTS *

Rename IMSA ISO file: mycd.iso -> Opera00.dat -> Burn to DVD in UDF format ** DOES NOT BOOT **

2. dutchconsolefreak

dutchconsolefreak Peppy Member

Okay, i burned the IMSA CD image file (renamed to Opera00.dat) to DVD using the UDF filesystem and it does boot (displaying the imsa loading screen) and after 5 minutes of DVD activity it crashes the fz-35. The settings i used are: UDF/ISO9660 (mode1), also used an DVD-R.

I don't know what to make of your results, your unit *can* boot from DVD and CD so we can conclude the DVD drive is ok. I have no idea why it refuses to boot the IMSA and shooter-demo images. It seems to be a software problem, so i think it has something to do with the bios version in your unit. If i am not mistaken your unit originally contained a superdisk drive, maybe the bios was modified to support this hardware?

Anyway, when you have the spare CD's you can burn the other files (Opera01/02/03.dat) to create the extra disks to finish the installation and check if the Cadillac demonstration will start.

edit: before you burn the extra cd's, you should check if the unit reboots when ejecting the dvd drive (when it asks for the 2nd disk).

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  3. TrailBrake

TrailBrake Active Member

4. dutchconsolefreak

I do see a difference in the screenshot the seller posted and what my unit displays.

[​IMG]

On my unit there is only the text "Please Insert Disc !" (flashing), but no picture of that cd with questionmark. I think this is another sign the problem has something to do with the bios version of this (and your) model FZ-35.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMVeMea3pu8

5. bitrate

bitrate Spirited Member

Hey guys,
    Indeed, the 5-J units do have a different BIOS. I just pulled mine out last night to give it a look.
    This is the issue.

6. TrailBrake

TrailBrake Active Member

Mystery solved.

Thanks to all that contributed to this thread. The outcome wasn't ideal, but your time and effort to reply and help in testing is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  7. NTM

NTM Rapidly Rising Member

Has anyone dumped the bios' on these?

8. NTM

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  9. NTM

Anyone willing to dump their US bios?

10. dutchconsolefreak

What is needed to do this?

11. simbin

simbin Spirited Member

I'm having the same problem. Do I need to flash my BIOS somehow? The shooter demo and IMSA racing work fine. I can't get the GM Cadillac disc working however. Not sure what to do.

What's odd is my unit came from a GM dealership, as it was being used for a kiosk. I also have the nrg image that came from that Russian website... maybe that's the issue?

Can someone please upload that JPN BIOS again? Megaupload has been taken down, thanks. I'm also happy to upload my BIOS... just not sure how to go about it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  12. Topper

Topper Guest

13. dutchconsolefreak

You have the correct bootscreen and imsa works on your unit, so you have a different problem than discussed in this topic. Maybe you can check the harddisk in your unit and the dipswitch settings (number 4 should be in the 'on' position).

14. simbin

simbin Spirited Member

I stuck an old 6GB drive in my FZ-35S because the original drive had been removed. I didn't know about the jumpers and just wanted it to boot up and load IMSA racing and the shooter demo. I think the drive has an NTFS partition and needs to be formatted with FAT.

My stupid IDE to USB adapter didn't recognize that drive, so I didn't format it beforehand. I was hoping the GM kiosk disc would do it for me... wishful thinking.

I just pulled an old 20GB HDD out of the closet... click, click, click!! GRrrr

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  15. Topper

Topper Guest

I think it works only on FAT partition (maybe FAT16 or FAT32).

16. simbin

simbin Spirited Member

I haven't found an adequate IDE drive yet.. I'll post once I get one.

17. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Just get an ide to Sd adapter or a DISK ON MODULE

18. simbin

simbin Spirited Member

Going thru a pile of junk the other day, I found an old 10GB IDE drive. Hopefully that will be sufficient.

19. 3dodev1

3dodev1 Member

And while you are doing that, also check if the disc drive is DVD. ;-) Most japanese units I had so far were only equipped with a CD drive, which can - of course - not boot any kiosk DVD.

After replacing the hard disk, you need to run the "IBC Reformatting Disk" once, otherwise the hard disk won't be recognized.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  20. dutchconsolefreak

How do we get this "reformatting disk"?