Future of XBOX

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by GodofHardcore, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Conker2012

Conker2012 Intrepid Member

The N64 had the 'Expansion Pak', an expansion RAM upgrade, that doubled the console's RAM from 4 to 8MB. Only one game was ever deliberately made to need it (Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask), and another game needed it simply because when the game (Donkey Kong 64) was released, it contained a bug that crashed the game unless the expansion pak was released, so Rare (who made Donkey Kong 64) altered the game so it wouldn't boot unless you had the expansion pack.

There are quite a few N64 games that do use the expansion pak if it's present, but run fine without it. The biggest example is Perfect Dark, which gives you nothing but a cut-down version of the multiplayer game if you don't have an expansion pack. Also, if you don't have an expansion pak, then you can't play the final track (road) on Rush 2049 (you only get to play in five out of the six tracks), you can't play the Brood Wars Expansion maps on Star Craft 64 without an expansion pak. Most other games that use the expansion pak simply add a high resolution gaphical mode, though in some cases this can reduce the game's frame-rate, so some people tend to tun off the high resolution option in some games.

So was the expansion pack a success? It certainly didn't give the N64 a second lease of life or anything, but it's worth the money for Perfect Dark and Majora's Mask, if for nothing else. But I don't know if Nintendo overall made a decent profit from the expansion pak, or if they later regretted designing and selling it.

Oh, and I think you need the expansion pak if you use a Gameshark to make your own cheat modes.

For more details, see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64_accessories

2. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

Hmm, they sold 80 million PSPs which is around the same as GBA sold. Way below the DS though, of course.

3. fate6

fate6 Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!

So Blast Processing™ confirmed?... Sorry I couldn't help myself :(

4. BomberDino

BomberDino Robust Member

Conker, great writeup. Had completely forgot about the N64 Expansion Pack. Probably because I didn't appreciate Majora's Mask at the time, it wasn't "real" Zelda to me. Nowadays I love quirky side-stories.

I think PSP did better outside the US, that's why I don't think of it as successful as the others.

5. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

Maybe the FDS? I mean, I'm not 100% sure it counts, since the big selling point was bigger games. I can't think of a really successful one in the States, the biggest would probably be the Expansion Pak or the Sega CD (which did upgrade the specs by having its own processor, and, again, bigger cheaper games).

When I was in college I used my laptop as a wireless bridge for my 360 since they wouldn't let us directly connect consoles to the network. It was kinda funny.

But the PSP was released right after the DS, so they were basically competing. I think a lot of people saw the GBA as an incremental change, plus it was only out for 4 years before the DS, and the DS had 7ish.

6. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

You are right and my message was a bit unclear. What I was trying to say was that 80 million is a huge amount of units to sell (not a small dent) and I was using GBA as a comparison to give a sense of scale, not that they were competing at the same time.

Aside from that, I disagree with your point that at the time GBA was not considered an incremental change at all. It was a huge step up from the GB/GB Color and almost the handheld SNES we all wanted at the time.

7. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

When I said that Nintendo owned the handheld market, it's more that there was never a credible threat to their superiority, until mobile phones started playing games well. Yeah the PSP did well, and if Sony hadn't dropped the ball with the Vita it could have started something good, but it obviously didn't impair sales of the highest selling handheld of all time.

It was, but it was still based off the same architecture (sort of) and used the same cartridges (but differently shaped because Nintendo didn't want to deal with pissed off parents because their kid's GBA game won't play in a GBC).

8. Syclopse

Syclopse .

E3 should be fun this year, would love to play Hunter the Reckoning on my Xbox, rumors of original Xbox titles coming to backwards compatibility on Xbox One at E3.

9. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

So now we have fanboy wars over hardware that doesn't exist, the XBOTs going to war with the PSFOURONs (I refused to call them ponies, Pony is not an insult) over which fake upgraded console is better. Just sad....

That said I don't think the XBOX's future is all that bleak. If they could get some more Japanese support, even it just for the west and get some fighters and JRPGs on it, they'd be fine.

10. jp.

jp. Be Attitude For Gains

Ain't happening. After all they tried with the Japanese market last gen I think MS understands that there is nothing they can do other than go back in time, buy Sega, and have their console be branded by Sega in Japan.

11. GodofHardcore

Stranger things have happened.

12. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Almost 3 years later and Microsoft released the Xbox One S, the Xbox One X and the accessibility controller for hardware.

Backwards compatibility became reality and now there are over 550 Xbox & 360 titles you can play on the Xbox One. I've also played Hunter the Reckoning as it came to BC in April 2018.

Xbox Game Pass is here for $10 a month and allows you to play 100+ games including all Microsoft Studio games on their release date.

Microsoft also acquired a couple game studios.

[​IMG]

13. GodofHardcore

I'd say Microsoft turned it around. I bought an Xbox one X after all. Should be here Thursday.

Assuming I can stop playing Smash to hook it up...

14. Syclopse

Syclopse .

https://news.microsoft.com/2019/05/16/sony-and-microsoft-to-explore-strategic-partnership/

Companies to collaborate on new cloud-based solutions for gaming experiences and AI solutions
    [​IMG]
    Kenichiro Yoshida, President and CEO, Sony Corporation (left), and Satya Nadella, CEO, Microsoft
    TOKYO and REDMOND, Wash. — May 16, 2019 — Sony Corporation (Sony) and Microsoft Corp. (Microsoft) announced on Thursday that the two companies will partner on new innovations to enhance customer experiences in their direct-to-consumer entertainment platforms and AI solutions.

Under the memorandum of understanding signed by the parties, the two companies will explore joint development of future cloud solutions in Microsoft Azure to support their respective game and content-streaming services. In addition, the two companies will explore the use of current Microsoft Azure datacenter-based solutions for Sony’s game and content-streaming services. By working together, the companies aim to deliver more enhanced entertainment experiences for their worldwide customers. These efforts will also include building better development platforms for the content creator community.

[​IMG]As part of the memorandum of understanding, Sony and Microsoft will also explore collaboration in the areas of semiconductors and AI. For semiconductors, this includes potential joint development of new intelligent image sensor solutions. By integrating Sony’s cutting-edge image sensors with Microsoft’s Azure AI technology in a hybrid manner across cloud and edge, as well as solutions that leverage Sony’s semiconductors and Microsoft cloud technology, the companies aim to provide enhanced capabilities for enterprise customers. In terms of AI, the parties will explore incorporation of Microsoft’s advanced AI platform and tools in Sony consumer products, to provide highly intuitive and user-friendly AI experiences.

“Sony is a creative entertainment company with a solid foundation of technology. We collaborate closely with a multitude of content creators that capture the imagination of people around the world, and through our cutting-edge technology, we provide the tools to bring their dreams and vision to reality,” said Kenichiro Yoshida, president and CEO of Sony. “PlayStation® itself came about through the integration of creativity and technology. Our mission is to seamlessly evolve this platform as one that continues to deliver the best and most immersive entertainment experiences, together with a cloud environment that ensures the best possible experience, anytime, anywhere. For many years, Microsoft has been a key business partner for us, though of course the two companies have also been competing in some areas. I believe that our joint development of future cloud solutions will contribute greatly to the advancement of interactive content. Additionally, I hope that in the areas of semiconductors and AI, leveraging each company’s cutting-edge technology in a mutually complementary way will lead to the creation of new value for society.”

“Sony has always been a leader in both entertainment and technology, and the collaboration we announced today builds on this history of innovation,” said Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft. “Our partnership brings the power of Azure and Azure AI to Sony to deliver new gaming and entertainment experiences for customers.”

Going forward, the two companies will share additional information when available.

15. GodofHardcore

I have a sinking feeling Sony is going the way of Sega

16. Syclopse

Syclopse .

17. ItsMeMario

ItsMeMario Gutsy Member

While streaming might look as a nice alternative, for those who cant afford new consoles and gaming computers now and then...Id say this is NOT the future of any console and we will be back to "CDs" and cartridges over next decade.