Fundraiser to get the site a video capture device

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by ASSEMblergames_Admin, Aug 24, 2015.

1. ASSEMblergames_Admin

ASSEMblergames_Admin Administrator

I have a lot of betas, and I get many requests to post video footage. On the youtube channel
    most requests are to show a system running, and I didn't have that capability.

The first planned project to do is dead rising pre e3, resident evil 5, and a bunch of other
    nice games. I have a gigantic library of protos I decided I need to show and share. Time creeps up
    on you, and soon you realize protos are nearly 29 years old in some cases. They need to be
    protected and shared.

If anyone can chip in, the donation link is on the front page.

Eventually I will need to get together dumping equipment as well, I have some nintendo FX chip protos that I don't think anyone has as well as some virtual boy ones.

Cheers,

ASSEMbler

HEX1GON and Stipo360 like this.
  2. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Spring for the Micomsoft sc-512n1-l/dvi if you can. Handles RGB at 240p up to 1080p60. It is a joy to work with compared to some of the alternatives. Im back down closer to you if you ever need a hand.

3. ASSEMblergames_Admin

ASSEMblergames_Admin Administrator

That's way too much money...

K7Sniper likes this.
  4. Stipo360

Stipo360 Dead Rising & XDKs

Oh boy oh boy oh boy.
    [​IMG]

5. Borman

Well people are pretty generous around here, the quality is hard to beat really. There are cheaper versions without the passthrough too. Far better than those crappy USB things people pass off.

But like I said, Im always willing to make a drive like we planned all those years ago.

6. Stipo360

Stipo360 Dead Rising & XDKs

The elgato gamecapture is only 200$ and accepts the signal from pretty much anything you throw at it.

7. Borman

8. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Sky Capture X HD user here. Can do 240 all the way up to 1080p in 3D and 60fps. The only down side is that your inputs are HDMI, Component, Composite or S-video. No RGB unless you run the signal through a Framemister then to the capture card via HDMI like I do.

9. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

Game capture HD2, has HDMI and YPRBR and as Yakumo said use a upscaler like framemister, that way you have a cheap all in one kit.
    avermedia GCH2 only does 30fps but is 60fps necessary?

10. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Yes, 60fps makes the world of difference for gaming video. Live action it isn't needed but for gaming it's a must.

11. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

How did I know you'd be all over this news?

I'd be up for donating. This sounds really exciting.

12. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Better to have it, than not have it I suppose.

If there happens to be a V8 beta in this group, I'll surely donate.

13. K7Sniper

K7Sniper Robust Member

I use an elgato HD60, that I saved up for myself :)

Quality is pretty good for the most part, and it works with any next-gen system.

14. wheelaa

wheelaa FM Towns / MD Addict Site Supporter 2010-2015

So do you have a target / specific item in mind? And a progress update on the donations so far?

I will gladly donate if there are more specifics. Ready and waiting.

Just getting a little tired of another targetless info-light money request (especially as I don't ever recall seeing the customary thanks thread listing all the users that donated during the prolonged forum downtime for example...). After all, this is Assemblergames not Activision...I'm feeling ever so slightly uneasy at the 'treating members as wallets' mentality these days. Are we back in 'community time' again heh!?!

Cool ideas though and looking forward to whatever comes of it...although experience does lessen any expectations I have sadly...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    Syclopse likes this.
  15. Gruelius

Gruelius Member

Yeah could there be some specifics about what capture hardware you are getting and what else you need to get? And how the effort is going?

I would be happy to chip in more to help you get the higher quality converter and what not, big fan of paying for what I spend my time on and I am on this board lurking far too often haha!

16. oasiz

oasiz Member

I'd recommend getting the PEXHDCAP instead: http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-co...AEPPCQFZ&dpSrc=sims&dpST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_
    This can run for even under $100.

You can also use the micomsoft drivers with this card as well, it being virtually the same card as SC-500
    Does 240p/288p up to HD modes without any problems. Upper limit at 1080p30 or 720p60, 1080i60 is possible from what I remember as well.
    Input is analog RGB, digital (HDMI/DVI) and component as well.
    Keep in mind that for RGB capture you will want to have a sync stripper (assuming you wish to capture scart RGB)
    If you don't want to build one yourself then it will cost a bit extra (google: sync strike)

Anyway, couple years of experience with this on various systems and users, only issue is that you can't run more than one of these cards at the same time on the same system.
    I help a lot on running stream tech with a major speedrunning event in europe, that means that we need a 10day stable run on it, this card passes the test.
    240p NES/SNES/etc.. will capture perfectly, 288p amiga stuff and such will capture at the real frame rate (slightly off 50Hz), 480p stuff like wii/etc.. will also capture correctly.
    It's the best bang for buck that you can get at the moment.
    However, if you want to capture composite/svideo as well then I'd get a cheapo USB capture device from china to go with it.

May I ask on what generation of systems do you intend to capture and what can you get out of them?
    Getting RGB might be tricky to work with outside of europe, s-video is not perfect but it will still give you a clear picture for capture and is widely supported.

If you just wish to capture composite/svideo as there is no superior solution and you will usually end up paying inflated prices for the same chip that powers a $20 usb device.
    de-interlacing and such can be done through software afterwards.

17. SegaLife

SegaLife Rising Member

That's a slick looking card, any word on Windows 10 support? Seeing as the drivers are 7/8 I'd assume 10 is supported out of the box but better safe than sorry.

18. Borman

Windows 10 didnt have any particular issues for me, other than the fact that my W10 install was screwy in general hah

19. SegaLife

SegaLife Rising Member

The StarTech USB3HDCAP mentioned in those posts looks attractive, any experience with it? I don't mind an internal card, but a USB 3.0 capture card seems to have the most flexibility and longevity/versatility. Amazon has it for $189 right now; which all things considered seems reasonable.

20. oasiz

oasiz Member

I vaguely recall us using that startech capture box during the previous event as well.
    Unfortunately I can't remember if it was just a cheaper variant of XCAPTURE or not.

With the xcapture at least you can actually get better low-res RGB quality than sc-512 as the chroma doesn't misalign as much, especially with 288p stuff (since amarec doesn't really fix it in software anymore)
    It's still really minor and only visible if you really look out for it.
    Technically it should give you the best results out of them all but the difference is really minor.

I can try my sc-512 with win10 at some point but I doubt that it has any issues as the driver model is largely the same ever since vista64.

Still echoing my previous suggestion about pexhdcap, it's a cheaper sc-500, exactly the same as sc-512 aside from lack of 1080p60 and svideo/composite.