Fully reset a PS2 tool

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by AlexRMC92, May 10, 2013.

1. AlexRMC92

AlexRMC92 Site Supporter 2013

I would like to fully reset the software on my PS2 tool, as if i was a developer and just received the kit from sony. I've read that there are some images somewhere of PS2 tools, but are these clean images? I'm hoping this isn't something that only sony could do.

2. pool7

pool7 Site Supporter 2014

I'm sure someone else can confirm, but AFAIK the PS2 Tool has an i386 Red Hat 6.2 (the old Red Hat, not the RHEL) + the PS2 SDK. If that's really all it is, you can get an ISO of the Red Hat 6.2, then download and use the SDK 3.0.2 that I posted some time ago (you'll have to get the extracted version, as the ISO only has a Windows installer which you won't be able to run under Red Hat).
    Not sure if there's any customization to the RH included in the PS2 Tool, or maybe libraries or similar that are not even included in the SDK...

Last edited: May 10, 2013
    TexasGameDev likes this.
  3. PS2Guy

PS2Guy Lost in the neverending abyss.

You're half right.

The DTL-T10000 runs on a modified version of RedHat 5.2.
    The DTL-T10000H runs on a modified version of RedHat 6.2.

There are rpm packages installed on the system that weren't available to the general public. (However these come under the GNU/GPL and that states that the source code is available on request, butI can't see Sony just giving it to anyone).

The hard drive isn't initialized so there's no chance of upgrading the OS (I know I've tried).

You may be able to flash the ROM with an earlier SDK version, but I'm not sure if you can (Sony don't like going backwards, but because it's a TOOL you may be able to).

There are other members on this site that have far more knowledge than I on the subject, but this is what I know so far.

4. AlexRMC92

I have a T-1000, i was also hoping that the sdk contained everything you would need to restore a system. But this is a modified version of red-hat, you can just get an iso of it.

Basically my tool has a bunch of activision stuff on it. I've imaged the drive to preserve anything that may be on it but there are a ton of users and i'm not really what all has been modified so i would like to start with a clean slate.

I thought the ROM (at least the one you flash with the sdk) was of the PS2 side of things, not the pc baord?

5. PS2Guy

PS2Guy Lost in the neverending abyss.

Silverbull or UncleJun (there are others but their names came to mind) will have more of an idea than I would sorry.

6. Keberasky

Keberasky Spirited Member

Well afaik the drives in the PS2 Tools remain mostly unmodified from factory for daily use. In other words you don't load any code onto the hard drive for testing. The OS on those drives is just to handle loading software to handle the debug interface for the tool. So other than the usual linux log files the are created and the ethernet config file everything should be the same as it was imaged from Sony.

Your tool should have a second drive in it as well hooked up the PS2 side. It really isn't used for anything on the PS2 side and is identical the PC drive in with the exception it was never used once it left the factory. You could copy the PS2 drive to the PC drive and that should give you the factory reset.

Now if your tool happen to have the the DVD emulator installed in it then there would be an additional drive for storing the emulator images (total of 3 drives.)

The rom itself can be downgraded as needed. The rom itself is like the hard drives. The PS2 has a backup or shadow rom that can be used in an emergency situation in case of a bad flash. I don't know if this emergency rom is the original factory rom but it is the oldest known rom that I have seen.

7. Tokimemofan

Tokimemofan Dauntless Member

Not always, mine has 2 HDDs and the DVD Emulator, The one on the PS2 side is missing. FYI mine is a May 2000 T10000 with the H upgrade (I think, it was used with a network adaptor).

8. SilverBull

SilverBull Site Supporter 2010,2011,2013,2014,2015.SitePatron

Correct, with an emphasis on modified.

Not a GPL violation, even if people like us would like it to be. We were never given access to the binaries in the first place; so no chance to force source code access through the GPL.

You can downgrade as you like, there is absolute no protection on PS2 TOOLs. And even for PS3 Reference Tools, there is an official method to downgrade.

Similar situation here. My DTL-T10000H does have 2 HDDs, but no T14k. The T14k is installed in a DTL-T10000 (without H), but it also got only 2 HDDs.

The SDK is not enough to reinstall a TOOL with wiped HDDs. Neither would a RedHat ISO be. Sony modified the Linux kernel and installed several custom RPMs. The support software for the T14k is only one of them; DSNET is far more important...

The ROM you mention belongs to the PS2 side. It is mapped at 0xBFC00000, the common boot ROM of the EE and IOP.

9. AlexRMC92

Thanks for the information :)

My question is what is the purpose of the PS2 side's hard drive? I could understand if it was intended to be a backup of hdd1 in case of an emergency, but from what i can gather it just holds a copy of hdd1 on it. If all it was meant to do was be a copy of hdd1 then why is it plugged into the IDE interface on the duaghterboard, and why does the daughterboard even have an IDE slot?

Well i just tested something, i ran the tool with the PS2 sides HDD unplugged and i booted up just fine. I played a few min of FFX on it and shut it down.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  10. SilverBull

SilverBull Site Supporter 2010,2011,2013,2014,2015.SitePatron

I can only speculate, but my guess is they hadn't finished the HDD interface by the time these boards were designed. In my opinion, the whole DEV9 interface is a kludge.

The PS2-side HDD is not accessed during normal operations. It resides at other I/O addresses than the PCMCIA interface, so it needs special drivers on the IOP. Although the homebrewn dev9.irx checks for the TOOL (there seems to be a small difference in how the PCMCIA controller is connected to the IOP), it does not provide access to the on-board IDE controller, just the normal one on the PCMCIA card. On the other hand, the PS2 Linux kernel is reported to contain a matching option.

11. AlexRMC92

Interesting, so you suggesting that maybe sony had intended the internal hdd to be used for game development, but maybe ran into some problems with it's design and released a pcmcia version instead?

12. Tokimemofan

Tokimemofan Dauntless Member

That would make sense. BTW I KNOW my unit was serviced at least once, probably 2 or 3 times, It had the H upgrade installed and the DVD Emulator was likely added later. It also had a shattered fan replaced. I suspect that the PS2 side HDD was just moved to the emulator in many units.

13. AlexRMC92

it's possible, my ps2 side drive has nothing on it, no partitions at all. I would like to find on of those dvd emulator cards, among a few others.

14. unclejun

unclejun Site Supporter 2011-2014

That's weird because while the Tools could be used as workstations according to the early docs iirc, the later manuals were quite clear on the fact that you should only use them via a network connection, and no mentions were made on the BBS/forums either from any developer nor tech support crew to support the stand-alone workstation use...
    Can you be a little more specific about what you found?

Indeed!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2013