Friend is hooking me up with his overclocked and bios modded DC, need to know how to determin VMU OC

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Anthony817, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Hey guys, need a bit of help here. My friend is parting with his overclocked Dreamcast and matching VMU/'s? Issue is I need to determine which of his VMU's are overclocked and which are not so I can swap out his limited edition VMU shells with my regular white ones as he doesn't want to part with them, but the OC on the system is kinda useless without matching VMU OC mod. He doesn't remember if he had 1 or 2 of his matching VMU's modded or not.

It is my understanding a crystal was replaced on the OC'd VMU. Is this a visible crystal I can see with my jewelers loop magnifying eye piece?

So I am just wanting to know how I can determine which one of the VMU's are overclocked or if both are.

2. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

It should be obviously modded if you open it up. It should be a relatively big 2-pins crystal.

Rocky5, darcagn, LuizNai and 2 others like this.
  3. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Awesome thanks. He is in Houston and I am in Dallas/Fort Worth area about 430km away, so he has to ship it out. So don't have it here yet to see. Just wanting to know what to look for before it arrives.

4. bulletbob

bulletbob Active Member

oc DC and oc VMU same multiplier or it wont work right, afaik

5. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Yeah, the system and VMU had both already been OC'd a few years back. Issue is he doesn't remember which VMU he had the OC done too, or if they were both so he sent both VMU's and I will just replace the internals to the new shells I have. I actually should be getting it in the mail in a few hours, so I will be able to swap out the internals of the VMU's to my regular White ones and ship back his with my regular internals.

6. RaZiel

RaZiel Enthusiastic Member

Meh the system works fine OC'd with stock VMU's. I got APE here to OC my DC and it worked just fine with stock VMU units for everything I tried over the years.

7. -=FamilyGuy=-

I had corruptions myself using normal vmu with an overclocked DC.

RaZiel, Anthony817 and fafadou like this.
  8. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

I also had my first stock VMU corrupt on me the other night, and now the VMU is unrecognizable. Benryves suggested on reddit that I try and defrag the VMU with VMU Tool homebrew disc. As right now my VMU is a paperweight. You can see my thread below. Hoogafanter came in talking like he knew better than me and started berating me saying nobody should EVER OC a Dreamcast lol, what a tool.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/...e_serious_help_here_please/ekn7o78/?context=1

TerdFerguson likes this.
  9. -=FamilyGuy=-

I could reformat my VMU though. The data was simply garbage.

I mean, he's right that it's basically pointless to overclock a Dreamcast. But that is not a valid reason not to do it...

10. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I wouldn't call his comment berating in the slightest.

People need to toughen up a bit. Everyone's too easily offended these days.

11. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Eh, I would say it serves a purpose, especially with laggy emulators and games that push the system to the limits. Especially with those Half-Life total conversion mods such as Paranoia which REALLY push the system more than the already laggy base game does.

RaZiel likes this.
  12. RaZiel

RaZiel Enthusiastic Member

Man that's to bad. I never had this issue but it never made much a difference except with Homebrew etc. Are retail games hardcoded to a certain set frequency??

13. -=FamilyGuy=-

I think it's the timing of the communication on the maple bus that's the issue.
    But to be honest it's just speculations.