free mcboot 1.95

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by scroeffie, Feb 6, 2017.

1. scroeffie

scroeffie Rising Member

2017 is the hdd limit stil 1 tb ?
    looking to buy a usb hdd for my ps2 slim but i dont know what the limit is

2. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

Yes. The limit is still 1TB due to limitations of the PS2 console. FMCB can't do anything about that, unfortunately.

3. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

I don't think you're going to need to worry about the 1TB limit. I have every game I could conceivably want on there (even fringe stuff I'll never likely play) and I haven't filled the 750gb drive in mine by a long shot. Same with my XBox.

Maybe if you want the *entire* PS2 library available it'd be an issue.

4. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

If to be completely precise - FAT ps2 supports 2 hdd so it is possible to use 2Tb maximum. Other story - where to find additional power for second hdd and where to find software that has support :)

5. deba5er

deba5er Member

For USB I believe that up to 2TB is supported:
    https://bitbucket.org/ifcaro/open-ps2-loader/wiki/Home
    "Updated USB drivers - support drives greater than 1TB but less than 2TB in capacity, plus better reliability."

I have an old single-bay 3.5" single drive SATA NAS enclosure that runs SnakeOS (so I know it is compatible with PS2 homebrew for SMB authentication/etc.). I recently bought 2TB drive used for under $40, installed it and loaded everything. It's an older NAS, but the price was right, and with an ethernet cable between my Slim PS2 I can't name too many games where I detect stuttering (Flatout intro is a good test). I realize that you were asking about USB, but the price for building a NAS from used parts comes pretty close and gives much better performance.

6. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

is the 1tb limit to do with booting the disk or a max partition size

I'm assuming it's more to do with actually booting the disk like older PC hardware having troubles with 2tb + disks

7. americandad

I don't think it is about booting, but I might be wrong.

8. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Firstly, the OP must understand that the support for anything in the PlayStation 2, depends on the software itself. So if your software does not have a driver that can support 2TB USB disks... then it won't support 2TB USB disks.

For the external HDD unit, up to 2TB can be addressed now because of updates over the past year.
    For the internal HDD unit, up to 2TB can be addressed now because of updates over the past year. 2TB is the physical limit of APA, as 32-bit variables are used.

Physically, the constraints are as high as the existing standards allow. For example, up to 144PB for ATA disks.

9. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

People want to pirate everything, for the sake of having 'Everything'. I barely would fill even a 250GB disk in my Xbox with games I'd always play.

10. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

APA doesn't even work well with more than 128GB of content anyway. All software that can list all partitions and also and retrieve additional information from each of them in a timely manner, are using a hack of some sort.
    It's pretty clear that SONY didn't expect users to ever have that much content, ever.

11. scroeffie

scroeffie Rising Member

so usb hdd 2tb works ?

12. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

It depends on what you're using. But if it was something from me and I have updated it recently... yes, it should work.

13. scroeffie

scroeffie Rising Member

iam using free mc boot 1.95.3 noob pack

14. scroeffie

scroeffie Rising Member

oke i tried a 1.5 hdd first i did format the hdd via windows than i made shure the drive is active ,than i format the drive with usb extreme
    after that i use USBUTIL v2.2 rev1.0 to install a game just 1 for testing james bond ,when i hook up the drive free mc boot starts but when i choose opl i got a black screen the moment i disconect the hdd opl works fine ,tested this with free mc boot 1.95.3
    the external hdd has its own power source

15. americandad

You don't need to use USB Util or any other app. Format USB as FAT32. Put DVD isos in "usbdrive:\DVD" and cd isos in"usbdrive:\CD". That's it.

16. scroeffie

scroeffie Rising Member

oke problem solved ! the 1.5tb from aldi did not work on free mc boot
    but i tried a 2tb from wd its works
    in opl why is the 720p en 1080p setting removed ?

17. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

This is only applicable for games smaller than 4.0GB in size.

Actually, there was no real purpose for any of those modes because the frame buffers of games are way smaller. So using those video modes will mean that the game's video output will be magnified either way.

americandad likes this.
  18. scroeffie

scroeffie Rising Member

would it be possible to have a software kind of setting to make the fan go faster or slower ?

19. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

It's likely hardware logic, so no. Once the DEV9 module is loaded, it will always speed up, regardless of what is really used (even if the HDD unit is not used).

If the noise really bothers you, then you may want a SCPH-50000 series instead because the fan was replaced with a quieter model.

PS2Guy likes this.
  20. PS2Guy

PS2Guy Lost in the neverending abyss.

Love the whisper fans!!