Four Super Nintendos with Black Screen Problem - Trying to Fix

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by brento1138, Apr 19, 2015.

1. smilecitrus

smilecitrus Member

What I've been doing to repair these types of systems is taking CPUs from severely water-damaged consoles that are totally beyond repair or boards that are physically cracked. That way I'm not cannibalizing anything that could have possibly been repaired one day. Sometimes I end up swapping one bad CPU for another bad one, but most of the time even the most badly damaged boards that most people would dismiss as trash end up having good CPUs.

It's satisfying reviving these systems, but it's a lot of work for little profit. But if you have a bunch of hopelessly corroded or otherwise trashed boards though that have no chance of ever being repaired, it's usually worthwhile to take the CPUs and save them for later.

The problem, of course, is that there are way more black screen systems with bad CPUs out there than there are donor boards. :(

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  2. MaxWar

MaxWar <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

I have dozens of SNES that I bought for parts/repair or in lots and I have yet to find a single Cracked/water damaged SNES board. All I have is mint motherboards with black screen of death :(

3. jonoghue

jonoghue Active Member

mainly i was just trying to make sure that the CPU was in fact the issue. like an experiment. if i knew for a fact it was the problem i wouldn't have bothered, since there would have been no point

smilecitrus likes this.
  4. smilecitrus

smilecitrus Member

Haha, I guess it must come down to luck then, since I'm always finding motherboards that look like they've been submerged in liquid for years with traces eaten away, solder mask peeling up everywhere...really yucky stuff. I've only found a couple though that were actually cracked. I don't know how the heck that even happens...

5. Tokimemofan

Tokimemofan Dauntless Member

My experience is about 70% Cpu 25% ppu and 5% other. Thats from a sampling of over 30 units, I usually use them as donors for their power ports or shells. A cpu failure can also cause controller input errors and corrupt graphics especially in mode 7. Also a copy of Final Fantasy III helps, that game will freak out in rather short order if the cpu is dying. I generally don't pay more than $5 for shvc sound units because about 75% of them are dead. The only later model unit I had with this problem was a roach motel and soon to be cpu donor.
    Replacing the wram capacitors, and the shvc sound unit has NEVER fixed 1 of my units. Faulty vram will cause graphics problems in most or all games but has never caused any of mine to lose sound or cause FFIII to run off the rails but a cpu failure will render the game unplayable or crash it outright.

smilecitrus likes this.