Found playable Cipher Complex canceled game on X360 XDK Test Kit

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by kabojnk, Mar 10, 2018.

1. kabojnk

kabojnk Newly Registered

Hello everyone!

I am a newbie here so I just wanted to start off by saying hello. :)

Ok now that introductions are out of the way, heh, I have something that I think might be very interesting to some. Recently I acquired a Jasper model Xbox 360 XDK Test Kit complete with sidecar and VGA cable/power brick. I have a few XDK slim/fats and a prototype slim console so I just bought it to add to the collection as I have wanted a Jasper XDK for some time...but this one actually has something kinda neat on it.

First off, when I got the unit, on the power brick it said "Property of Electronic Arts" so I thought that was cool. Next, I fired up the console and delved into some of the executable on the dev partition. What I came across put me at a loss for words.

Basically, I think I found a super rare fully playable "demo" of a canceled game. The game is called "Cipher Complex" and was cancelled in 2009. If you google search the game, you can find a little information on it and a couple old vids from 2010 or so showing the same playable level in the video. The game shown in the vids is what I have on my XDK Test Kit and it is fully playable just like in the vids on YouTube.

I have never seen this playable "demo" anywhere else and all the vids I have seen of it are the exact same leaked vid of some random person (maybe from the dev team) playing the "demo" that I have.

So I am here because I honestly dont know if I found something amazing, or something that someone just transferred to the console that they downloaded off the internet. I did many searches on the 'net and cannot find very much information at all so I figured I would come here as this forum has quite the reputation for being in the know when it comes to obscure games and unreleased/canceled titles. All I know for sure is this game was slated to be for the X360/PS3, was started in 2005 and was being developed by Edge of Reality games, was to be published by Sega, and was ultimately canceled in 2009.

I know people can be skeptical so I can try to get some decent pics or video if people are interested in this, but I dont have a capture card and my only video recorder is my cell phone. Let me know though and I will do my best. I am just trying to see if anyone knows anything about this game and whether or not this find is actually something new, or if the files are just floating around somewhere on the 'net and were just put on the Test Kit by one of its previous owners. If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a YouTube link to a video someone posted from 2010 showing the game I have:

Here is another link to a different video from IGN talking to some of the dev team about the game:

james2452, Traace and bowser22 like this.
  2. teckman02

teckman02 Spirited Member

Cool game it reminds me of splinter cell. Do you have any way to dump the files for archiving?

3. kabojnk

kabojnk Newly Registered

I have not tried yet, was trying to get more information on it to see if it was even something unique. I think you can set these consoles up on a Windows network and transfer them across the network. There is no way to transfer it from storage on the console to a USB or anything like that. I will look into it and see if it is something I can do.

4. Traace

Traace Rising Member

Nice build :)

You can transfer from console to usb. Just use a 3rd party file manager. Most homebrew works fine, like Aurora for example (just remove the freedash plugin xex, it crashs on xdk)

kabojnk likes this.
  5. kabojnk

kabojnk Newly Registered

Thank you!

Please forgive my lack of knowledge on 3rd party/homebrew software. I am primarily a collector and player. Not so much a coder or anything like that so I am not savvy when it comes to 3rd party software. :)

I will look that up. I have to finish going through the rest of the files in this unit.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    Traace and bowser22 like this.
  6. bowser22

bowser22 .

nice score man ! congrats

7. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Check your PMs by the way. If you need help I can guide you as well. I would use the 360s sdk and neighborhood instead of using a third party homebrew but that's my preference

bowser22, Traace and N!NJA like this.
  8. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

9. kabojnk

kabojnk Newly Registered

Hey all! Sorry, been busy!

So I got some preliminary video here from my phone (sorry, I know! I figured something was better than nothing though). Excuse the mess around the TV as this is a work/shop/gaming room so I dont tend to keep it spotless. Yes, that is a Xbox One X with a Wii U sitting on top of it... :p

Please excuse the shakiness/audio and not great game-play as it was all done 1-handed since I dont have a tripod. If you are a video/audio snob then look away. :p I just wanted to give people something to check out if they are interested, and so they know I am not full of crap, heh.

Video here:

Info on what exactly what I am doing in the video is posted in the video description so to see that you might actually have to watch it on YT. I did not want this post to be a wall of text (it kind is already). Dont worry, the vid is not monetized or anything, I did this solely for all you out there who are interested in this sort of thing. I gain nothing from this. :)

On top of the fully playable level I found from the video in my OP (Smith.xex on the kit), I have also found a London based level that is sort of playable (I assume its supposed to be London as it is called london.xex). I have also found out how to access the debug menu by pressing both thumb-sticks down. With this menu I can access even more content through a level loader in the menu. So far I have found an unfinished tutorial that is fully playable but in a fairly early state of development as well as an interior office level with cubicles (and mission objectives) but no real textures, and a developer hub world. I didnt get any video of the tutorial, but at the end of the video I captured the strange developer hub world. Super neat stuff here guys. I did not mess with the hub world much as some of the levels load but some crash the system and I dont want to risk data loss. I am also not sure what is ok to show and not ok to show and I dont want to upset anyone...

I have a friend with a capture setup that lives a few hours south of me so I am going to try to meet up with him sometime and see if I can get better video captures. At this time I don't know the legality of sharing these files so I am holding off on that for the moment. I have also had people express interest in buying the console, and while I appreciate the interest I am not really wanting to part with it at this time.

Thanks! :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    james2452, TheNew and bowser22 like this.
  10. Darkshowdo

Darkshowdo Member

Looks great! Saw this on hard 4 games. Did you ever get this dumped?