Found: Dreamcast Tower of Babel Demo

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Dreamcast, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

Hold tight.

It's waiting for Vimeo to process it :mad:

2. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

Looks interesting. Hopefully you will make a video of the finished version. I think it could have warranted a full game. Maybe a streaming/open world behind the player view type of Armada like exploring shooting game. Considering it's not even using full range of the DC capabilities it looks real nice.

3. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

I'll release a patch .Good luck

Esppiral and LuizNai like this.
  4. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

On the subject of early Dreamcast tech demos, some of you may remember that the UK Official Sega Saturn Magazine described being shown an internal video tape of various pieces from while the Katana preliminary title was still in use, which included two different "slices" of SCUD Race... Well, it seems as if someone made a direct feed copy of that very same tape:

5. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

While watching that found the Naomi 2 tech demos linked to it . They look Impressive , though you can probably reach similar results on the DC just cut down a bit.

6. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

I'll never understand how Yu Suzuki concluded through months of extensive technical research that recreating the essence of Virtua Fighter 3 was within the Saturn's capabilities, yet he didn't feel the same was possible for VF4 on the Dreamcast, which is supposedly why a conversion was only ever announced for the PlayStation 2. Sure, AM2 would have needed to lower polygon counts and reduce the overall number of individual light sources on Dreamcast when compared with the NAOMI 2 original, but I suspect there's more to this story... Perhaps the real reason why PS2 owners received VF4 exclusively is because Sega knew the Dreamcast was on the way out, and that it made the most financial sense for their flagship fighter to go where it had the greatest chance of success? Either way, I'd be interested to see whether a commercial NAOMI 2 game could reach the performance levels seen in that video once you factor in such elements as AI that can be interacted with or collision detection, since there's nothing shown you couldn't do by scripting certain objects and effects to appear at a given point in time. For this alone, I'm normally reluctant to pay too much attention to the kind of tech demo that's all about throwing around hundreds of objects, preferring the more realistic depictions of something like the Katana SCUD Race footage, since I can imagine that very much being within the Dreamcast's limitations. (Of course, something would need to have been done regarding that painfully obvious pop-in, and the frame rate may have taken a hit once cars were implemented - maybe that's why this project was never taken further?)