Found an SGI INDY and INDIGO

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by ma777, Aug 24, 2017.

1. ma777

ma777 Peppy Member

Got the new battery installed in the Indigo. Will it refuse to boot without keyboard and mouse? indigo.jpg

Edit: Left it running for a few hours. Won't go past this screen without keyboard.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  2. ma777

ma777 Peppy Member

Anyone have a guide for how to make this keyboard converter?
    Indigo converter

3. ma777

ma777 Peppy Member

Finally got a 13w3 cable!
    Working on removing root password now.
    What is the FPU? Is it like a math co-processor? What is its purpose?
    indy_specs.jpg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Traace likes this.
  4. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

FPU is "Floating point unit" - in the case of the R5000, it's built into the CPU - the reason it's broken out individually is that on some of the older machines it was a separate chip from the CPU - so on something like an R3K Indigo you might have "CPU: R3000A / FPU: R3010"

5. ma777

ma777 Peppy Member

Ran into a few problems removing the root password. The tray eject on the CD drive was broken. So, it didn't work at first.(Drive would constantly stay busy) It turns out the gear on the motor had a hairline crack and it fell off. It's loud, but at least it works now!

The IRIX boot disks are not ISO9660. They actually use a system called EFS. (ImgBurn will say the file is corrupt) I downloaded burnatonce to write the .img to a disc with no issues. Booted up the disc and changed the root password.

20180809_210549.jpg

How do I browse the web on this? I set the Ethernet adapter to DHCP, it grabbed a good IP, and set correct system time. Still gives me errors?

6. ma777

ma777 Peppy Member

Is the Indy the one and only SGI system that the N64 games were developed on?

7. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

It was the only machine the original development board would physically fit into. That didn't mean you had to use it as your primary development machine - you could (and many people did) use a more powerful machine for development and just copy the resulting binary into an NFS share on the machine with the board in it and then run the debugger over telnet or SSH.

Later, after the Partner 64 came out, you could get an interface that plugged into the SCSI bus, so you could use any SGI machine that supported SCSI (I.E. all of them). The interface seems to be very hard to find though - this could mean they didn't sell many of them, that they have all been thrown away because it's not clear what they did (the same interface box was also used with KuCs other development products and has no markings that would make it clear it's part of an N64 development system) or some combination of both.