Force 480p Xbox Bios Collection! (Santa gift)

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by MrNova, Dec 1, 2015.

1. MrNova

MrNova Member

UPDATE: 30/12/15

Okeey,

First of all im kinda new here ;) But i thought it's almost Christmas and why not try to be an early Santa :D

Anyway i don't know if anybody ever made a Force 480p Xbox bios, atleast i couldn't find any! (Yes some softmod patcher) but not any patched bioses! I decided to make my own! Since i don't think anyone uses non HDTVs nowdays! I always had some problems with 2 or 3 games which didn't play in 480p or whatever (always interlaced). I decided to hack the Xbox kernel and patch the Xbox to always Force output 480p or higher. (Depends on your region PAL or NTSC)

PAL = Always 480p (since no hd was ever released)
    NTSC = 480p/720p/1080i (depends how the .xbe is programmed)

I patched the following Xbox bioses to Force 480p:

Debug-bios-256k-Gueux'Net-V2 (Force480p).rar (Nice little debug Xbox Bios)
    EvolutionX_M8plus_Bios (Force480p).rar
    iND-BiOS.5003 (Force480p).rar
    iND-BiOS.Beta.Feb-11-05 (Force480p).rar
    metoo-m8plus-v1.4.1.(Force480p).rar
    Xecuter2.4981 (Force480p).rar
    X2.5035 (Force480p).rar
    X3_3294 (Force480p).rar
    Yoshihiro_K2005_Debug_All_version (Force480p).rar <--- ADDED 30/12/2015

NEW PACKAGE AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD v3

WARNING: ONLY USE THE BIOSES IF YOU GOT COMPONENT HD CABLES ELSE YOUR XBOX WILL FRAG!! (WON'T DISPLAY ANYTHING)

I am not responsable for any damage to your XBOX! Use it at your own risk!

I hope some of you guys will enjoy it ;-)

Download:
    http://www.eurasia.nu/modules.php?n...314&ttitle=Force_480p_Xbox_BIOS_Collection_v3

Mirrors:
    http://www.megafileupload.com/qK5K/Force_480p_XBOX_bios_collection_v3.rar
    http://www.filedropper.com/force480pxboxbioscollectionv3
    http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=43675488303644727392

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  2. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Nice :) I wonder if its possible to force 720p? I know people were trying to figure out 240p. Or even forcing the Xbox to recognize the 1.4ghz processor without patching.

3. ToXZiN 1

ToXZiN 1 Spirited Member

Awesome! Thanks for this.

4. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

I have a PAL tsop 1.4 that I've converted to NTSC
    most my games are in PAL
    Have you tried with games like GTA SA (the pal version is 480i)

oh what is the Debug-bios-256k-Gueux'Net-V2 good for?

EDIT: Installed the M8plus.(Force480p)prepatched bios, was lazy so slipped it into the HeXen iso (kinda dodgy but it worked :p )

My results (Running through component on XRGB Mini, looks better on tv) :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It does seem a little darker in 480p though, maybe its just me...
    The PAL version of San Andreas is 480i only but does force into 480p well :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  5. SILENT_Pavel

SILENT_Pavel Gutsy Member

Is it only for modchipped xbox? Will it work with "Aladdin ADVANCE v1.0-v1.6 YH-001"?

It was done here: http://www.theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=57375
    UPD: I've seen those videos on your channel, this information mostly for other people, who will read this thread.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  6. Borman

Thats a hex mod on the XBE though, system wide would be much better. Check out my channel, I already recorded a bunch of 720p hex mods.

7. MrNova

MrNova Member

Technically it should be possible, but believe me you don't want ;) There are a few limitations you need to keep in mind! Original xbox only has 64Mb of RAM available! (Yes 128Mb possible if you solder in the 4 extra ram chips, but only for v1.0 till v1.5) Even then 128Mb is still not enough for the majority of the games if you force everything to output to 720p! (Xbox will freeze) Secondly the majority of the games isn't programmed to output to 720p. That will result in all kind of texture failures! Trust me you don't want! ;) About the 1.4ghz processor, i think it should be possible but it will take a hell of a job! (Lastly i don't have any 1.4ghz xboxes so i can't check)

I patched all bioses that they should work on a out of the box Xbox! I don't want people to ruine there xbox if they got different specs like cpu upgraded or whatever ;)

Yes mate everything will be converted to 480p (xbox can't display 480i anymore)
    Debug-bios-256k-Gueux'Net-V2 is a Debug bios for a Retail Xbox! Only use it if you want to make your xbox a debug machine (use google to know what a debug xbox is) in short terms developers use a debug machine. (Not for normal users)
    Nice that it worked for you! I see you used the M8plus.(Force480p)prepatched bios (I even included a nice new 480p Evox logo at startup, hope you like it haha) Thanks for the screenshots :)

It should work on modchips and tsop, but flash the correct bios to your xbox version! 1.6 or 1.6b can only use the M8plus_16 at the end of the filename. All other xboxes 1.0 till 1.5 can use all bioses except the 16 at the end (so also your Aladdin modchip)! If you don't want to risk a flash you can use the bootable from media version which i included from most of the bioses called .bfm at the end of the name. Use Phoenix Bios Loader to launch them.

SILENT_Pavel likes this.
  8. Borman

I know 720p is glitchy, it's just more of a curiosity to see how far the old box can be pushed :) My primary unit is 1.4ghz and 128mb, which is why I asked

9. MrNova

MrNova Member

It should be possible to output 1920i ;) But i won't make it haha! The hardware is just not designed to do so, not enough bandwidth! Kinda jalouse now on your 1.4ghz (Kiddin) :p Shame i only got a few 128Mb and 64Mb units :p

10. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

Could you modify an x3 bios?

11. MrNova

MrNova Member

Acctually did never looked into that ;) But i should be! If you tell me what the latest X3 bios is available (X3.3294?) and want to be a tester? Since i don't have any X3 modchips.

12. citrus3000psi

Yep 3294 is the latest.

And yeah I'll test it out.

13. MrNova

MrNova Member

Okeey i had a look at the X3.3294 bios for X3 modchips and i think it's the last one ;) I had a look at the code and it seems it was very simalar to the X2.5035 :) So i already had start coding on it and made a TEST version for you! Can you check if it works? If it does let me know and i will pack up a final version! Thanks ;)

UPDATE: X3.3294 (Force480p) BETA removed because Confirmed to work!

Will update the main package and include the X3.3294(Force480p) Final version! :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    citrus3000psi likes this.
  14. citrus3000psi

This is for xbox verisons 1.0 - 1.5 correct?

Not sure if I'll be able to test tonight or tomorrow. I've been out of town for personal reasons. I'll keep you posted, Thanks for doing this.

15. MrNova

MrNova Member

Yes this is for xboxes 1.0 - 1.5 else i will put 16 behind there name ;) Thanks mate!

16. weinerschnitzel

weinerschnitzel Spirited Member

Would it be possible to do the VGA patches on an X3 BIOS? Maybe even fix the VGA option in X3CL?

I think FrostyTheSnowMan and Xman954 came up with better VGA patches since Frosty's 0.7 patcher. I believe their X2 BIOS or nkpatcher would be good reference.

17. MrNova

MrNova Member

UPDATE 3/12/15: X3_3294(Force480p) ADDED.
    New package v2 including the X3_3294(Force480p) available in the first post!

18. MrNova

MrNova Member

I think i should be able to port the feature over to the X3 bios. But is there really that much demand for? Problem is i don't have any X3 modchip and VGA cable. My primary coal was to make a component cable version only. So it will be working in blind! But doesn't have the X3 a build in VGA patcher, atleast thats what i read?

19. weinerschnitzel

weinerschnitzel Spirited Member

The VGA patcher by FrostyTheSnowMan does the proper VGA patching, but IIRC, the patcher didn't work on the X3 BIOS. Further, there were certain "green screen" games that required a GPU reset that is featured in Frosty's and Xman's X2 BIOS.

I like VGA because I feel the picture quality trumps component video. VGA also gets rid of overscan. Games that provide overscan correction break a 1:1 pixel to texel ratio and are lossy. Use the overscan correction in Odamex and bring up the map to see what I mean. Some lines are not fully visible, and the map looks broken.

My idea of a perfect AV solution is to use a VESA compliant VGA mod with a VGA BIOS, with TOSLINK or S/PDIF to an HDMI adapter.

X3 Config Live has an option to enable VGA, but it doesn't do anything. If the VGA and GPU Reset hacks could be switched via this option, I think it would constitute a legitimate update for the BIOS.

I'm very interested and willing to guinea pig for you, if you're up to it. :)

EDIT: I think a proper VGA BIOS involves 3 hacks.
    - VGA patches for Connexant and FOCUS encoders
    - Reset GPU, fixes green screen games
    - Force480p, fixes 480i games. Of course, HDTV modes should still be available. You have already done this.
    http://www.xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo1625.nfo

20. MrNova

MrNova Member

I like challenges ;) I will have a look! I keep you updated! First off to bed :)