FM Towns 20F Video Out Sanity Check

Discussion in 'Fujitsu FM-7, Towns and Marty' started by samson7point1, Apr 4, 2018.

1. samson7point1

samson7point1 Spirited Member

I have a 20F and the matching FM Towns monitor. The colors are absolutely stunning on the Towns monitor, but I'd like to run the video through my LCD television via an OSSC.

In theory, I could construct a SCART cable to do this - just connect RGB and C-Sync lines according to this diagram:
    http://www.hardwarebook.info/FM_Towns_Video

Would this work like I think it would?

Assuming I wired everything correctly and barring a freak lightning storm, would trying this likely damage the FM Towns, the OSSC, or my TV?

2. Uroko Sakanabito

Uroko Sakanabito Spirited Member

Why 15Khz? Go for 31Khz / VGA and buy a decent and shielded converter @ yahoo.
    You can destroy the RGB out of any TOWNS very easy with these experiments and there is no repair.

3. samson7point1

samson7point1 Spirited Member

Thanks for weighing in. If you could recommend safe and compatible products to do that, I'd love to try them out.

I think 15khz has better options through the OSSC, but I'll take what I can get. The only problems I've heard about with burning out the video output was when someone tried to mix in stuff built for the X68000 and didn't account for the pin differences. I know that improper handling of TTL/75 ohm signals can stress the components and I'm working on learning how to measure those so I know which the towns is outputting and whether I need capacitors and resistors in the line. Are you aware of any other caveats?