Fixing ps2 controller with dead buttons

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by ploder, Sep 14, 2014.

1. ploder

ploder Rapidly Rising Member

Hi

This has been bugging me for a while because it doesn't seem to be a basic cleaning job and other sites give info that doesn't seem to apply.

Basically 3 buttons on my ps2 controller are dead; up on the d-pad, L1 and L2. I have opened and cleaned the rubber contact mat and the buttons feel right when pressed. I have tried rotating the rubber d-pad mat and the same 'up' direction doesn't work, which seems to suggest the conductive mat is not the problem here. I have tried using the controller on another ps2 and I get the same thing.

From what I understand that only leaves a few things:

1. The wire cable of the ps2 controller itself (no obvious damage)
    2. Where that wire connects to the pcb.
    3. The ribbon contact sheet.
    4. The pcb board and the chips

What I need is help with how to diagnose what the issue is. I now have a multimeter and have been learning how to test continuity, but I am having a hard time with this. I don't see how I can touch a probe to a controller plug pin and the other end because the wires are soldered and don't look removable.

After lots of searching I have found what looks like my ps2 controller design in a disassembly:

https://www.takeitapart.com/guide/78

It doesn't look like the ribbon contact sheet is removable. What would be great is if someone has pictures with instructions for my controller design on where exactly to touch multimeter probes to find out where the problem lies.

Thanks

2. uberpwnage

uberpwnage Member

If you haven't already look at the place where the controller plugs into the ps2. If one of the 9 pins is missing the controller can semi work like your describing. If that doesn't work I'd solder a known working wire on because wire damage is not always obvious. If neither work its either the contact sheet or the place where the sheet connects to the board.

3. ploder

None of my ps2 controllers have 9 pins, pin number 8 is not there.

Soldering could be tricky as I don't possess the tools and I'm not experienced in that area and it is small and fiddly. Other guides suggest the wire unplugs from the pcb, but on my controller it looks soldered like in the pictures of that link.

I have had a look at the plastic contact sheet but there is no obvious damage front or back apart from a small crease where the start button sits. I have tried to straigten this out but see no change to the faulty buttons. All the other buttons work 100% with padtest.elf.

Does anyone know which pins/contacts route the d-pad up, L1 and L2 buttons on my version controller from the picutres above? I could take high res pics if that helps.

4. uberpwnage

uberpwnage Member

Some of the early and later Dualshock 2s have 8 pins but most have 9 so if your controller is a middle of the road model that could still be the issue. If you post the numbers on the back of the controller we may be able to determine when it was produced.

5. ploder

SCPH 10010

Then on the right hand side there is a H

6. Riki

Riki Peppy Member

I have 2 such controllers. Not working buttons are different, but both have it on the left side (L1, L2, D-PAD). Looks like a common problem.

7. Ellz300

Ellz300 Newly Registered

I have the same isse, my original controller onlyhas 8 pins with the eigth missing. Also i brought 2 extra controllers because my originals didn't work with the same issue aswell. My ps2 system is SCPH-77003 ss and my controllers all have SCPH-10010.

8. JDMACDC2008

JDMACDC2008 Member

Sorry to add to an old thread, but this is the first result from this website in a Google search, so someone might still see this. The problem described is due to part of the thin circuit membrane degrading over time. It can be repaired with conductive paint, when applied to the correct area. As a footnote, I often find that left on the d-pad doesn't work either in this situation. I hope this helps someone, one day :)

dekkit, Wachenroder and ploder like this.
  9. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

M Mitsumi
    A Alps
    H Hosiden

ploder likes this.
  10. Wachenroder

Wachenroder Member

I have this issue with a ton of my controllers. im hoping this turns out to be the problem

thanks

11. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

PS2 controllers use A/D converters to measure the voltage on resistive loops printed on the plastic sleeve with conductive ink. If the user pushes a button, one of the loops will change resistivity and the controller microprocessor detects the change, forwarding that to the console through the serial line in the cable. If the ink trace on the plastic sleeve degrades and stops conducting, the controller ceases reading the buttons. Some do stop reading all buttons and some simply ignore the button which failed. Depends on the maker of the controller. Like I listed above, Mitsumi, Alps and Hosiden did make controllers for SONY.

dekkit likes this.
  12. dekkit

dekkit Member

Having recently examined a few broken PS2 controllers to find out exactly why they stopped working, this is one of the best explinations Ive found that addresses the underlying issue.

Commenting to raise the profile of this post.

A lot of forums discuss pulling apart controllers to clean them etc etc, or incorrectly identifies the issue as being the cable from ps2 to controller (which can get brittle), but examining the ribbon pcb closely you can clearly see the lines fading in areas exposed at the upper side in support of the above.

In my pic below, you can see the difference between the middle and right sides in how faded the pcb has become overtime.

While fixable with pcb trace pen (ie redraw the lines), these ribbons are replaceable for a few dollars via quite a few online stores but check models as they do vary.

The pcb on mine need to be soldered to the main controller board.
    IMG_2018-06-26_08-16-23.JPG

Almost all of my original controllers have stopped working to some degree (some or all buttons dont work). While the replacement wireless controllers are cheap, the originals were great and worth restoring.

13. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Fiery Member

I had like 4 Sony-branded PS2 controllers that all had random buttons that wouldn't work or similar issues, I ended up chucking all of them cause it just wasn't worth my time to fix them.

14. PIXeL92

PIXeL92 Spirited Member

With me getting into modding PS2 consoles for resale I have been buying bundles online and locally and the amount of dead pads I have had is mad, I would say out of 20 odd pads half of them had failed. I just stuck them on eBay as a bulk lot I took a couple apart to clean etc but none where extremely filthy and a dead clean didn't fix them.

15. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Gutsy Member

it's worth fixing them only if you have many controllers. I have over 20 controllers with dead buttons. Most of them had the film soldered to the pcb. So I got 50 18pin connectors from aliexpress for about 11usd. Also from aliexpress you can get 50 films (18pins) for about 25 usd. PS: I doesn't matter if sometimes the original film has 19 pins because 1 pin is not used.

16. dekkit

dekkit Member

Out of interest, what has your success rate been like with the replacement pcb sheets?

17. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Gutsy Member

First I ordered the film SA1Q43-A. I had to cut a little the film at the L and R buttons because it was too wide. You also need to press start and select a little harder. I made about 20 controllers (18 pins soldered on pcb, 18 and 19 pins with connector) Now I ordered the film SA1Q42A and it fits perfect, but I haven't got the chance to test it yet.
    So the process is simple. If your controller has a connector, it doesn't matter if it's 18 or 19 pins, just use an 18pin film. If the film is soldered you'll have to add an 18 pins connector. The only one I couldn't fix is the version that has the film pressed with 2 rows of pins if I remember correctly, but those are rare, I only have one. Also there's another type, but I have never encounter it. 90% of the controllers I have, the film is soldered on the pcb so they are the most common.
    Also, here's a very important site with pinouts:
    http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_wiring.html#PCB_DIAGRAMS

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  18. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I had boxes of broken controllers too. But the soldered ones were in the minority for me.

Maybe a regional thing. I think the ones I had most of there the "0241" type. But this is from memory, so don't take as gospel.