Fixing Broken 3DS Pre Release Unit with Unreleased Game on it

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by letsplaykeldeo, Nov 30, 2018.

1. letsplaykeldeo

letsplaykeldeo Rising Member

I was looking arround too and couldnt find anything eigther ( at least a year ago when I last looked ) and like I said normally if the Bricked 3ds booted it just stayed on a black screen but since the pad is gone it gives me the bluescreen with the error code that data0 is missing and when I try to pull from the resisstor pack I get nothing no usable data ( and I pull from the lower side closer to the nand ) and every Nand dump I do is different so this test point somehow is in the middle of the line / I testeted it and its not shorted to ground

2. Gamesquest1

Gamesquest1 <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

you should be able to use NTRboot has to decrypt your nand backup, afaik there is a dev system version of ntrboot that would allow you to run god mode9 and use the system to decrypt then and backup you made and dump the titles installed, it won't "fix" the system, but you could probably also setup emunand and still use the system too without then and, although you would always need to use Ntrboothax to boot the system

3. letsplaykeldeo

Its okay and sorry if I seemed devensive its just the one thing Im proud of and good at with PCBs and thats why I was so confused that it somehow broke the line even if it shouldnt / couldnt

4. letsplaykeldeo

Im not sure if I could compeltly follow you there but the problem at the time is that I cant even use the system as Data0 isnt there anymore I have a nand backup with the game on it and the broken system ( Its like inbetween the earliest verion of the operating system and the another one that would have been able to dump such a "app" / game ) So the board is defective on a hardware level and to my knollage from 1 year ago we arent able to Decrypt Nands yet ?

5. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Maybe the via is damaged. So trace goes from that resistor pack, to the via, that via then connects to the test point and to the cpu.

It's only educated guess work without someone sanding down a PCB to see all the layers. Might be worth trying to open up the via with a very small pin and fill it with solder

6. letsplaykeldeo

Yeah ... but I wont do anything on the board until we 100% sure where the line goes and thats mainly why I posted here because I couldnt wrap my head arround why the system reacted the way it did even tho it shouldnt had done that

7. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

If pulling off the pad did the same on another system, it can only be that the via is damaged really.

Filling the via with solder is easy enough and if it changes your error - you know you are on the right track.

If that happens, you can then use the resistor pack to solder to and leave the via/damaged test point alone.

8. letsplaykeldeo

And on the one test oard I sacrefied I removed the Nand fully looked for the point data0 found it tested it with the resistor / test point and as soon as I removed the test point in a manner as I did on the original board the connection between the ressistorpack and the original data0 point was lost

9. icekicker

icekicker Active Member

This has gone on long enough, you're saying there's no trace on the left (it's a multilayer PCB and it had a via and a pad) the reason I suggested that the copper that remained was the dat0 was because it's the only thing visible from this side.

The copper you see goes through the top layer of the PCB and connects up somewhere, which given the proximity of the nand and the accessibility of the pad shows its likely intended to be there for maintenance/fixing/restoring the system in-house.

The second pad you've butchered that's seemingly unrelated may actually serve a purpose in bridging the dat0 point to the array, but I don't have a 3ds to test if that's the case or not, but your problem is more than likely related to the second pad not the first one, since it has no traces nearby in any images, it clearly isn't accessed from this side beyond just being an access point (unless that other pad you ripped did act as a bridge as mentioned previously)

Not to sound mean, hope I don't offend. I'm just thoroughly explaining my viewpoint and why I came to the conclusions I came to.

10. Gamesquest1

yeah, with ntrboot and godmode9 you should be able to explore the contents of the bricked and and dump the files required to rebuild the test apps, you may also be able to use a ctrtransfer file to build a working nand to use as an emunand partition that boots from the SD card even if the nand chip is completely removed

11. letsplaykeldeo

The small point of Coppy that remains only connects to the Ressistor array at this point and not anymore to the nand the other soldering point you see in the picture is to ground for the SD card reader and yes I allready hooked up the Multimeter and no its not shorted to ground

12. letsplaykeldeo

Yeah posisbly but I just cant access the 3ds anymore like I cant install anything it allways ends in a bluescreen. I have an Nand backup of it at the point where it was stuck between 2 system versions non bootable allways resulting in a blackscreen

13. Gamesquest1

ntrboothax is a bootrom exploit and runs before the nand is even read, so even if the system cannot boot, your still able to run tools such as godmode9 which allows decryption of nand files from the SD and the creation of emunand

this is the setup guide for dev systems
    https://panda.hacks.guide

you will need a compatible NDS flashcard though and another system to flash the hack to the flashcard

14. letsplaykeldeo

Yeah the problem is I cant 100% Identifie what kind of of system it is as it looks like a normal retail board but with one of the earliest version of the operating system no Dev tools and only like 3 apps ( Nintendo DS Wifi set up, Nintendo DS Downloadplay and the 3D Challange app I try to rescue ) and after that I ones tried this methode got a lot of Flashcards and all didnt really work ( as I did CFW work on other systems before )

15. Gamesquest1

i have run it on a dev system and you need a different build of ntrboothax (which is why there is a different build for dev systems), if you were using the build for a retail system it wouldn't work, follow the guide i just linked and it should work fine as long as your doing it right and haven't messed up the board elsewhere when you were soldering to it

16. letsplaykeldeo

Like I said Im not 100% sure which kind of board it is as it looks like a normal 3ds only with this one special app on it and like I said I dont have a a working flash card that works with that methode

17. Gamesquest1

your asking for ways to "fix" it, yet you seem to be pretty dismissive of receiving help, expecting people to just pull magic solutions out of thin air, you pretty darn lucky ntrboothax even exists yet you don't seem to want to spend $5 on buying a compatible flashcard, once you have a compatible flashcard you can reflash it if it does require a different build, although i think the NDS flashcard is the same across dev and retail systems, its just the payload on the SD card that varies, so you can try one, if it doesn't work, swap it over for the other

but still its probably the only solution that doesn't involve lifting the emmc and making a bridge to reconnect the nand to the board

as for the board looking like a retail system, all 3DS boards look the same except obvious differences between different models or more obscure debugging kits the only difference between a dev system and a retail board is the flags/keys on the CPU and files on the nand

18. letsplaykeldeo

Not really Im just saying how it is for the moment and I allready ordered one with it pre installed for 20$ I was just trying to say that I cant do / test anything at the moment and that Im sceptical because the system doesnt even get to read the Card if there isnt an operating system telling it too but Ill try it as soon as Im back from the Hospital and the Carthridge arrived and the system didnt had any of the Dev kit Apps on it litterally was bare bones just with the 3d challange app and the DS wifi Settings and DS Download play ( not even the 3ds version )

19. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

could you just pull the emmc and read directly?

20. Ozito

Ozito Member

This image is needed here.

And how did it go in the end OP?

Attached Files: