Fixing Broken 3DS Pre Release Unit with Unreleased Game on it

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by letsplaykeldeo, Nov 30, 2018.

1. letsplaykeldeo

letsplaykeldeo Rising Member

Hi there,
    Im looking for a way to fix this broken 3DS system, I ones got it in a Job lot of other 3ds systems but this one had a strange back cover and the board was manifactured in 2010 ( So it was produced before the main run of 3ds systems ). I repaired it and noticed that it didnt had a normal Homescreen but just a Plain text screen with some options on it mostly just wifi set up for the ds or ds download play and an unreleased game / tech Demo. ( After further looking up stuff about the 3DS and E3 it seems to be a Prototype version of "3D challange" from E3 with fewer levels and everything beeing in Japanese ) I was looking for ways to Dump it somehow, but after problems with the updating process on this 3ds it thrown me out to a blue screen as the updating processes failed somehow and at this point I had to solder to the pads to update the Nand myself and transfer it to the 3ds system. Sadly the person assisting me wasnt a big help and I had to Solder Multible times to the data point and at my last attempt it lifted directly from the board. Its been arround 1/2 years since this happend and I have been looking on and off since then for somebody to help me. I want to Finaly Preserve this game for good as I had a lot of sleepless nights feeling guilty to have destroyed a bit of History. I post the youtube video I uploaded a year back and the part that was destroyed in my soldering attempts I still have a Nand Dump of the console backed up but from all I know without the right key ( The right console ) the nand dump isnt worth a dime. Any help would really be appriciated !
    Youtube Link :
    *EDIT*
    I added 4 more older Pictures I posted on GBAtemp back then to show that Im not making a joke and Im SirKelly on there Ill post more pictures as soon as Im home again ( I wont be until the end of the year sadly )

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    ItsMeMario likes this.
  2. letsplaykeldeo

Just adding to this, who ever helps me get this backuped / gets the app out of the system. I will share the file with them / they are free to do as they please with it ( as long as its legal )

3. icekicker

icekicker Active Member

It's a cool find and all but that's all it'll probably ever be. The wire you should be using for this kind of stuff is like insulated wrapping wire (kynar) which would make it much harder to tear off the pad - I'm assuming the system no longer powers on, right?

I can't really see the extent of the damage, but I see there's what looks to be a small amount of copper remaining, in which case it could absolutely be repaired... By a professional. I'd suggest you find somebody local who can fashion some new pads out of copper foil for you. If that's out of the question then I suggest you start practicing on old boards destroying pads and replacing them until you get to a point where your execution is spot on.

Removing the game whilst not knowing anything about the underlying operating system, and from what you say it's vastly different and there's no current known exploit that would work (can you play 3ds game carts at all with it?, are there any features on it that have SD card functionality?)

The hardware revision that exists in that console might not even be compatible with newer software anyway, and vice versa.

Hope you get it fixed at least :)

4. letsplaykeldeo

It still Powers on but Data1 isnt connected anymore and there is no earlier point where I could get this connection from sadly and no there isnt any coper left on the one side that goes to the processor yes but there is yet another point where I could put a jumper wire but the connection from the Nand to there is gone thaths the big problem and nowadays Im 10 times better with the soldering iron and I cant make a new pad or anything because I have no way to catch the signal from the nand and no the operating system is the normal 3ds operating system but just one of the earliest to be known and there is a method to get the game out of the system but for that I needed to update the firmware and that failed so I had to dump the nand and fix it up this way to get back into the system but at this point I lost the pad and the board is like a normal 3ds board I was repairing them a lot arround this time and still do and its a 1 to 1 like a normal 3ds board besides that it was probably one of the first runs of 3ds systems / was produced before release

5. icekicker

icekicker Active Member

Okay great so you'll just have to run an exploit on the older version

I've marked with a red line the exposed copper I'm referring to.

[​IMG]

This should allow the pad to be rebuilt, you should also be able to solder some kynar to that too, but I'd advise against that and just repairing it properly.
    Which means rough up the board where the copper foil + epoxy is going, cut the foil to size, create a working connection with the foil and that exposed copper, epoxy below the pad, push the foil down onto the epoxy so it's bonded to the board, wait for it to finish curing then you can use the point again.

6. letsplaykeldeo

The red your refering too is okay to solder too but its on the wrong side the nand comes in from the left and there is no earlier point to get the signal thatts the big problem that I have no earlier point to get the signal

7. icekicker

icekicker Active Member

Then use a multimeter and find an alternative point (the point you ripped is actually Data0 and the point marked in red is the origin of the pad)

8. letsplaykeldeo

Kg4cmsc.png

9. letsplaykeldeo

I tried and there is no earlier point where I can get the data0 point ( and sorry I called it 1 I havent looked at the scimatics since over a year ) and and from all I can tell its not the pad should come in from the left because the small pad thats left beeps with the other point further down the line to the processor that I marked at the picture I send in the other reply

10. letsplaykeldeo

I took another defective 3ds before and pull off its nand chip and then looked for the one point on the board that connects to the test point that I ripped off on the original board and the signal comes in from the left sides goes over to the right thought this small other component I marked on the board and then goes to the the processor

11. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

That's not a processor. It's a resistor array.

I would leave it alone and send to someone who knows what they are doing.

takeshi385 likes this.
  12. letsplaykeldeo

I was just trying to indicate where the line was going and that the array and the test point are the only point where I could get the signal from and that the earliest point was lost, and furthermore I wasnt talking about the Resitor I was trying to show where it would go from the Nand to the Processor. Im not a master at this craft but Im fixing consoles reworking chips and everything as a hobby allready ( I make most of my income with that ) but like a year ago I just had a cheap soldering station with no heat control or anything and after heating this pad a few too many times It lifted completly up and was lost and Im just trying to figur out if somebody knows about a earlier point where I can get the signal or somebody who knows to rework the board.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  13. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

If it connects from that pad to that resistor array - you can just solder to that resistor array.

As someone who has spent many years fixing things like this, it's very clear you don't know anything about fixing stuff like this.

You don't need to find an "earlier point" . A test point will connect to 2 places the place the signal comes from and where its going. Either of those 2 points will be identical. Your test point trace could either be in the middle of this (so a trace going to and a trace going from to the test point) OR it just branches off and you only have 1 trace going to the test point. Yours looks like the latter. So just solder to it as explained above if you want to fix it yourself.

You could just remove the solder mask around the test point and solder to the trace that originally went there. Trust me, this isn't that complicate for anyone who knows about this stuff. Or you can just solder to that resistor array if that's where it comes from.

Being able to solder and follow someone guides doesn't equal knowing what you are doing btw.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    awesomeNES and icekicker like this.
  14. letsplaykeldeo

Wrong and wrong again as I was trying to tell all your people allready the signal comes in from the left WHERE NOTHING TO SOLDER TOO IS LEFT I know how to use a multimeter or put a Jumper wire down ! its the first of them the test point lays in the middle of the trace between then nand and the Processor. The problem is with removing the solderingmask arround this point there is just ground arround this point I dont wanna accidentally screw the board completly and ones again I have to say that I cant solder to the Resistor array as it would just creat a loop from the processor to the processor and I dont follow anybodys videos or something I fix Super nintendos on my own, repair traces, replaced the CPU / The video Memory and everything I teached myself that thought finding scemadics online for them ! Just get yourself a Broken 3ds system to see what Im trying to tell you as you seem to ignore everything Im trying to tell you ! ^Maybe if you look at the picture you will understand what Im telling you !

Attached Files:

15. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Every picture I can see shows no via on the left of that test point. Which means it doesn't go anywhere. It's just a signal coming into that test point from that resistor array.

All the other test points are exactly the same - 1 signal coming into the test point pad in your picture.

There's even a picture saying its an alternative point.

Soldering to the resistor array isn't going to "create a loop" that makes zero sense.

You clearly know best though. I'm not wasting my time anymore.

Attached Files:

16. letsplaykeldeo

The please explain to me why when I took the point off on another board the connection between ressistor array and the nand wasnt there anymore and why the 3ds blue screens insteed of just the blackscreen I got when the firmware bricked the system and the Blue screen shows that there is no Data0 Pressent then please explain that and I take everything back I said

17. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Unfortunately I don't have a 3ds to test. Only an xl.

But I can only tell you what I'm seeing. I see no via on the other side of the pad. I design my own boards and have been fixing things like this for about 15 years.

Ill see if anyone's done a high resolution scan of the pcb to be more sure. But it certainly looks lie there's no via on the left to me from your pictures and any I can find on Google.

18. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

19. letsplaykeldeo

Thats a 3ds XL so it could possibly be different and on top of that why cant I pull data0 from the Resistor pack anymore ? After I lost the pad I tried to get the data 0 from there but it wasnt giving me anything ( I have a Nand compare programm thingy that I compared the nands and no Nand Dump was the same after the pad lifted and was lost )

20. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Yeah I just spotted it's an xl. Will see if anyone else has done the same on a 3ds.

You don't need to find someone that fixes 3ds's. Just someone that knows pcb repair well enough.

To be honest, I'd look at it if I wasnt just about to move house (even though I stopped taking on work quite some time ago).