Feasibility study: SNES Multicart Menu

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by jaskamakkara, Feb 1, 2018.

1. jaskamakkara

jaskamakkara Tinkering in the dark

Hi,

I can't find much information about this online, but I was wondering just how feasible it would be to make a SNES repro multicart with a custom menu that opened when the console booted for you to select your game - like in official multicarts. The menu could just be a list of titles in plain text, it doesn't need to be flashy at all.

Making the physical repro itself is no problem, I have all the tools and knowledge for that, but it's the software side I don't know much about. I am happy to learn new languages (as long as it doesn't involve months of work) as I am always keen to expand my knowledge on all things SNES, but does anyone have some pointers on where to start? Or does someone have access to any work that's been done on this subject already?

I'll also just point out that I know there are other ways to switch games on a multicart (reset button and binary counters etc), but I am specifically keen to understand how possible it would be to have a proper menu for game selection. Thanks for any input.

2. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

3. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

I would love to see it happen,
    Closest thing I've seen is this guy who made a menu for Starfox, also someone by the name of arcademaster1 (Markfrizb) on Youtube has made Yoshi's Island menu but not entirely sure if everything was done in software.
    https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9927

4. jaskamakkara

jaskamakkara Tinkering in the dark

Thanks for the link. Although it's probably a lot more advanced than what I need, there is probably some useful information in there. Cheers.

This thread is excellent, thanks :)