Bug report Fake Accounts and Spam links

Discussion in 'Bug Report Forum' started by Roc6d, Dec 1, 2017.

1. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

Narf Brain what are we gonna do tonight?

The same thing we do every night, try to spam forum.

2. Stipo360

Stipo360 Moved to ObscureGamers

There should be a 10 minute lockout before you can post once you've signed up.
    This would stop an auto generated account from "checking back" to post.

MonkeyBoyJoey likes this.
  3. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

4. subbie

subbie Moderator Staff Member

Thanks guys for the latest reports. Sorry it took me so long to get to them (as the two had 5 & 7 reporters, so they had been sitting a while).

MonkeyBoyJoey likes this.
  5. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

You could probably fix this problem just by adding a rule that prevents users from using a link as a title for a thread - every single spam post that I've seen lately is like that: the title of the thread is a link. Should be easy to fix, right? There's no reason a thread title should ever be a link, anyway. If there's some strategy behind the spam, then it might not work, but it seems like it's worth a try. Trying nothing at all probably won't make the spam go away.

Make it so that a user can't post a thread if any part of the title contains a link. Then the person/bots behind this will need to rethink their titling scheme at the very least.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  6. retro

retro Moderator Staff Member

speedyink and Syclopse like this.
  7. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Any idea what they've been up to recently? After the initial switch and multiple bannings it seems like there hasn't been a peep.

8. retro

retro Moderator Staff Member

Drinking coffee and thumb-twiddling? ;-)

9. Zeigren

Zeigren SuperSlim PS3s Are Not Supported

Instead of just removing all the spam posts we should do something useful with them.

Maybe aggregate all the spam posts that the site gets in a year, sort them by general topic, turn those topics into chapters, and then turn the whole thing into a book. Then sell it for $0.99 as an eBook on Amazon to generate revenue for the site. The title could just be the top 10 words in the whole book.

Just imagine "The I Is A Enhancement Good Large Buy Best Male", it would be an instant best seller.

MBMM and MonkeyBoyJoey like this.
  10. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

How is this something that still isn't solved? This has been going on for at least a couple months. I thought part of the Admin team's purpose was to "maintain" the site. Well, this requires maintenance. What are they even doing currently? I see no involvement in the site at all, after the first few weeks or so after the decision was made.

I thought that part of the reason Kevin chose to do this was so that someone reliable would have full control over the site, and could promptly respond to problems as they occur. Well, that plan seems to be working out terribly. Why not just give control over to the mods? They clearly are way more involved in the site than the Admin team is, and could very quickly respond to problems like this - rather than having it drag out for months.

11. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator Staff Member

As Ive said, there is no Admin team.

12. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue

Admin team = kevin.

Nothing has changed, other than his username. Was just some internet drama, site wasnt for sale. etc

13. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I see. I missed that somehow.