Everdrive with microSD Slot

Discussion in 'Everdrive General' started by altbrian, Jan 19, 2011.

1. LeGIt

LeGIt I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P

It's to access the SD card I presume as once you get it in you want to get it back out too, or is it spring loaded?

2. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

Yeah. Obviously it's so that you can remove the SD card without having to open the cart. (edit: the SD mechanism is a simple slide, not spring loaded.)

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  3. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

Yeah a spring loaded mechanism would probably just be too prone to possibly breaking. Personally I still would have preferred an internally contained micro sd solution since unless you're gimping along with 512mb cards you should be able to fit an entire consoles released library on the card you choose, which sees maybe one update a year worth actually touching the card again

4. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

Problem with this is not everyone puts every ROM on the card at once. Some people like to add as they go. At least on the ED-MD Igor gave people the option of buying the smaller RS-MMC cards.

I personally prefer not to have to have my customers take a product apart to remove the SD card.

5. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Robust Member

Why? So you can add games to the card without having to open it up. Why insist on a removable media (SD card), then insist on making it a pain to change the card? That makes little sense.

6. haynor666

haynor666 Spirited Member

Some people do not need to open cartridge. They put all games they like and never open cartridge again.

7. aleomark

aleomark Spirited Member

yes or even more simple for a cosmetic look, I normally just put all roms in one sd and that's it, and I don't mind to open the case once and again, having the right screwdriver it just take seconds, in the other hand having one sd is just a little part that comes out, and a case with half sd in the upper level looks better than other options (neo myth n64 you have a gba cart and sd in upper level plus a cart attached to T connector in the back and we don't need to talk about the ugly Z64 or CD units)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  8. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

The key to this is some people. Not all.

9. antinull

antinull Rising Member

you could always buy a micro sd adapter and solder it in yourself, or just re-locate the existing micro sd slot, but that would require soldering skills of course. :D

10. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Robust Member

:D

I like that BRIGHT yellow cart you use. Personally, I use a nice black Rugrats cart. ;)

11. link83

link83 Enthusiastic Member

The SD card is not just for storing ROM's, you also need to remove the SD card to add Everdrive OS updates (New features, game compatibility fixes, etc) Its also great to be able to backup and restore game save files to a PC when you please, especially since many save files are compatible with the respective console emulators allowing you to easily swap progress between the two.

...I can see both points of view, but I think the advantages of easily removable full size SD cards far outweigh the disadvantages (The "It looks ugly and you need to modify the game shell" argument) If you dont want to modify the game shell you can buy an RS-MMC card, or if your handy with a soldering iron you could even add a microSD slot to the Everdrive PCB.

12. HANGAR

HANGAR Member

if anyone really badly wanted the SD card to be inside the sega cartridge (without buying an rs-mmc) then there is a way...

if you take the plastic shell off a standard sized SD card then the actual memory chip inside is only the size of a Micro SD card, therefore no need to actually cut away at the sega cartridge & have the sd card sticking out of the top!

just a thought:dance:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  13. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Are you sure about that?

Any SD cards I have opened up have 1x or 2x TSOP48 nand chips in them. Much larger than Micro SD card.

14. HANGAR

HANGAR Member

well not the exact size of sd micro but i've got a 4GB SDHC with the shell removed and its exactly 13mm, a standard SD card with the shell on is 33mm.
    not tried it in an everdrive yet but im assuming that would fit without having to do any mod to the cart?

15. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Last ones I took apart looked like this:

[​IMG]

Don't get me wrong, they could certainly have moved to different/smaller methods. Hence checking you were sure (rather than just an assumption).

But even if they did - its not going to be a reliable method for people to do. They wont know how large the internals of their SD card are until they open it.

16. HANGAR

HANGAR Member

it definately doesnt look like that one, the 1 i have taken apart is a PNY 4GB SDHC, ive also got a 4GB SDHC SanDisk here in a sort of transparent blue colour & when held upto the light you can see through it, its also the same size as the PNY inside, there both fairly new & bought within the last year from play.com

17. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33 Robust Member

Am I missing something here? People who want the card inside the cartridge shell can use RS-MMC, people who want easy access to the card can use SD. There's already a solution for both camps, so what's the issue?

18. zodiac1968

zodiac1968 Member

Yes. The largest RS-MMC that I was ever able to find was only 2 GB.

19. exdeath

exdeath Rising Member

Use a Double Pro Fighter for a month before going back to Super Everdrive. Then see if such a minor asthetic thing like a little SD card sticking out a quarter of a centimeter still bothers you.

20. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

RS-MMC was pretty much discontinued.

What about mmcmobile?